Miley Cyrus - Midnight Sky + Plastic Hearts (the new masterpiece record!)

I think the logistics of that setup probably had something to do with it.

Quite frankly I couldn't give a fuck if she's singing live or not because that is an astounding performance. Wipes the floor with anything Dua or indeed anyone else has done in the last few years.

She really doesn't need gimmicks. She has charisma in buckets.
That's nice Edward but why bring other Strong Independent Females into it? We don't need to tear down Dua or other sisters to bring Miley or anyone else up. Miley can stand on her own two feet.

And the criticism of not singing live is legit to be honest.

Exactly. this was a good performance from Miley, as much as a lipped set-up like this can be, but to say it wipes the floor with anything Dua has done is a TOTAL JOKE considering the sheer quality of her performances of Don't Start Now - educate yourself!

and WHAT does Miley's perf have to do with Dua ANYWAY? why are we still randomly pitting queens against queens?

The only woman we're bringing down this week is ALEXANDRA BURKE OKAY.COM?

Last edited:
That's nice Edward but why bring other Strong Independent Females into it? We don't need to tear down Dua or other sisters to bring Miley or anyone else up. Miley can stand on her own two feet.

And the criticism of not singing live is legit to be honest.

Consider me TOLD.

It's got nothing to do with this thread and since I've already been told I am loathe to mention it but much as I think Future Nostalgia is a tremendous album whenever I see Dua Lipa perform she really doesn't hit the mark for me. It's got nothing to do with the strength of her vocals but more about her failure to properly command a stage. I just see awkwardness if I'm honest

and WHAT does Miley's perf have to do with Dua ANYWAY? why are we still randomly pitting queens against queens?

It's a bit unfair to compare them especially since Miley's doing this since she was 10! Of course she's going to be better than a lot of of the current crop but Dua has been basically "trained" to do well for the last 3-4 years and the growth is visible (and has improved somewhat).

first no tears left to cry and now my future.

miles better than the original. we have no choice but to stan.

She does look like such a star. Slide Away suits the stripped back makeover rather better than Midnight Sky.

Good Lord her vocals on those performances... I had no idea. She has really found her sound with these new songs IMO

and it’s official ... Midnight Sky is my favourite song in the world right now :disco:

How’s it performing round the world? Is it a hit in the US?

She oozes star quality

that Live Lounge art is epic

Good Lord her vocals on those performances... I had no idea. She has really found her sound with these new songs IMO

and it’s official ... Midnight Sky is my favourite song in the world right now :disco:

How’s it performing round the world? Is it a hit in the US?

it debuted at #14 last week in the U.S, fell off to #41 but will be bouncing back to the top 20 next week what with the VMAs.

it's off to a slow start on radio with 20m impressions. it's doing really well on streaming though, debuted at #10 on Spotify and has been lingering around #10-30 since its release which is pretty incredible for a female pop single that's not released by Ariana, Dua Lipa or Billie Eilish.

so far it's performing tenfolds better than Mother's Daughter and Slide Away the which peaked at #54 and #47 respectively in the US (a crime against humanity) and similiar to Malibu which debuted at #10 and lingered in the #10-40 region for a few months.

it's a moderate hit WW. top 10 in 5 countries, top 20 in 16 countries.

Vocal chops? Are you all DEAF? She is aping Stevie Nicks BADLY by singing THROUGH HER NOSE and straining that NOX to "It's so EROTIC" Madge levels. She has ZERO warmth to her voice.

Vocal chops? Are you all DEAF? She is aping Stevie Nicks BADLY by singing THROUGH HER NOSE and straining that NOX to "It's so EROTIC" Madge levels. She has ZERO warmth to her voice.

You say she sounds like a snotty Stevie Nicks, I say 'that's a bad thing?'

NASAL QUEEN.

I imagine Midnight Sky sung by someone with an actual INCH of SOUL in their voice and I just :disco: I can't deny the HITZ but she just sounds BRATISH and WHINEY to me most of the time.

I will also confess that a lot of my PREJUDICE with Miley stems from the ABSOLUTELY PUTRID impression she made of herself when I had the pleasure :zombie: of interviewing her back in her post-Hannah Montana-but-still-not-twerking phase.

Reactions: dUb
And the make-up (feline FLICK & BLOOD RED lips) is super on point and giving me prime era Madonna, whilst the mullet is iconic and proof that there is a second human apart from David Bowie that can get away with it.

CATCH IT!

I will also confess that a lot of my PREJUDICE with Miley stems from the ABSOLUTELY PUTRID impression she made of herself when I had the pleasure :zombie: of interviewing her back in her post-Hannah Montana-but-still-not-twerking phase.

SPILL THE BEANS, SIR!

You can’t really think she can’t sing surely, based on those live performances? I mean yeah her voice is a matter of taste and I never liked her when she made pure pop personally, but this strained retro adult pop she’s doing is DRIPPING with emotion. It suits her down to a tee. She sounds effortless there.

And I do get the Stevie Nicks comparisons, and she’s been listening to a lot of 80s pop rock for the recent stuff, but she’s still unmistakeable Miley. You always know it’s her. Can’t fault that.

oh I bet she was a right twat back then. Maybe she’s got better at the act but she seems so much more self assured these days. Like she’s not arsed but just wants to make good music that means something to her

I imagine Midnight Sky sung by someone with an actual INCH of SOUL in their voice and I just :disco: I can't deny the HITZ but she just sounds BRATISH and WHINEY to me most of the time.

Miley is BRIMMING with soul. :oi:

I honestly CANNOT with anyone who thinks she can’t sing. She has an incredible voice and is a brilliant live performer too.

I wasn't really saying she CAN'T SING. I'm saying she is singing THROUGH HER NOSE and when she does that RASPY STEVIE THANG it doesn't sound PLEASANT. To my ears.

Similarly, I know MANY A PEOPLE who can't stand Kate Bush's voice which I personally like - I don't think anyone would say she can't sing but she is DEFINITELY AN ACQUIRED TASTE.

For me the issue is that I don't find the woman behind the NOX particularly PLEASANT or INTERESTING so I don't want my TASTE to be ACQUIRED. She just looks and talks like SILVER-SPOONED TRASH who is constantly ACTING OUT because OH MY GOD IT'S SO REBELLIOUS TO SMOKE POT AND GET YOUR TITS OUT MY DADDY WILL BE MAD!

I do not however want to spoil everyone's enjoyment of her - I really only came to the thread because DESPITE ALL ODDS I actually like this song A LOT (and the one she did with Mark Ronson too). I will UNGRACEFULLY BOW OUT.

this has reached #1 on UK iTunes - her first since 2013 apparently. It's also climbing Spotify and should comfortably bag a third week top 20 this week - the question is whether it can get a new peak in the weeks ahead. here's hoping :disco:

this has reached #1 on UK iTunes - her first since 2013 apparently. It's also climbing Spotify and should comfortably bag a third week top 20 this week - the question is whether it can get a new peak in the weeks ahead. here's hoping :disco:

She's also #1 on UK radio. Outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom