Bananarama - Masquerade (New Album 22nd July)

Did they not say that Masquerade was the first part of the celebrations- I thought they teased there would be more.

I thought a second album seemed unlikely...an EP might be the way to go.

I think the way Keren worded it was something like 'who says there is only one album?

I assumed said other album was going to be some kind of retrospective (though another regular GH would be stretching it).

Favourite is proving to be such a mainstay for me. I love how aggravated it gets and the chorus is a big messy avalanche of Bananarama. I honestly cannot imagine there being better for me on the album, but we shall soon see on that!

Favourite is MAGNIFICENT. A definite 10/10 moment I can see troubling my all time top ten.

Masquerade has grown on me too, but I still fail to see why they chose it as the single over Favourite.

FX9JIbaXwAAGHcT

images

Damn, don't have time to listen to that more, but can only guess they're not singing "look the fuck at you" :D

It's wonderful on first snippet listen though.

I see they've rustled up some more signed cassettes as well as unsigned blue vinyl on their store. The red is now 'sold out'.

I've come to accept the 'that'll do' latter day Nana vocals for what they are. Keren commented on how Richard X had them sing Love In Stereo over and over (though I recently saw Will Young saying something along the same lines so it isn't just them), and they are clearly happier with a more casual approach.

I do wonder if that is partly why we get so many solo vocals now, as I imagine timing things for the unison singing takes a bit more effort. Their voices so seem to be more different than they were years ago too.

Masquerade off the A list next week, but their friends at Radio 2 have made them album of the week.

Masquerade has really grown on me. I still prefer Favourite and I’ve decided to hold off on Velvet Lies…

ONE MORE SLEEP!

I’m already fucked on athletics time, sod including the Nanas as well!

Forever Young is an original track rather than a cover which I’m glad about. I’ve already seen three very positive reviews, albeit from outlets who probably wouldn’t want to offend the ladies as they’ll want them back for interviews in the future.

Stay Wild is a little tame on first listen. Some vocal choices on the harmonies too.

Running With the Night is better. It is definitely very much an electropop album so far in the Ian Masterson produces Bananarama style.

I do like the verses and production on Bad Love. Shades of PSB again. Wish the chorus did a little more though.

Brand New is solid enough, if the delivery is a little perfunctory.

Sultry gem alert for Need a Little More Time. Love the chorus for this, just wish that they carried the unison vocals all the way through the verses as well.

Running With the Night is quite the side-splitter. Vocally it sits somewhere between a sigh and in sync yelling, and the corosive disco textures are luxurious.

Forever Young is the Sara one about her friendship with Keren. Bless. It definitely has a bit of The Weeknd in the verses and the robo response in the chorus is very new wave.

Waiting for the Sun to Shine is quite lively. It sort of sounds like something from a slightly demented modern musical. I think it is winning me over :D

Sonically, this all suits them fine. By Lets Go Outside they've definitely pursuing the one style, it's actually surprising how the little flousishes here are separating this away from the pack. Their vocals sound sharper and less blurred into an echo. The lingering after "outside..." really let's the backing track put some special work in. I was hoping for some kind of George refefence though.

Tucked in near the end, Need A Little More Time is a gem. Oh ladies, bravo. It's so languid I hope they recorded it half cut.

A solid first listen. Need a Little More Time is the one I returned to straightaway and is my initial favourite of the new songs.

Favourite really should be a proper single though.

Since Favourite won't be happening as second single/Radio 2 offering, Forever Young could be the one, though its placement on the album suggests maybe not?

Forever Young has a Buggles meets Sarah McLachlan vibe, but maybe that's just me. It has a celebratory at-the-other-end-of-it feel. The spaced-out oohs masquerading as a middle 8 before one last lunge for the dancefloor is quite lovely. A highlight, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom