Bananarama - Masquerade (New Album 22nd July)

I’d have liked more concentration on the “Handmaid’s Tale” girls. Up the spooky factor. But it’s definitely their best video since Love Comes.

Same director too.

I really like it, especially the handmaid bits, and the running through the house. Some of the shots seem a little off (and I think we had the full from all angles tour of that place), but it is suitably quirky, and nice to have a video with a bit of a concept beyond some half-hearted frugging and lolling about on each other.

There definitely feels more of an effort with this video and the art direction generally than last time around.

I do prefer the original but I'm enjoying the very retro, no frills, put a donk on it (as people used to say) approach of the remix.

I don’t know how you feel about those ‘Porl Young’ Steps remixes, but one half of Shanghai Surprize (who remixed ‘Favourite’) is him (he was also formerly part of Sleazesisters).

Back in the early 2000s I remember quite a few Shanghai Surprize remixes, I think the Steps Father's Eyes one was the first time I saw the name for many years. I'm not surprised that it is the same person wearing different hats turning out some of those Steps mixes though.

I'm hoping the Nanas have farmed out Masquerade to one of the other budget friendly remix outfits used by Steps.

Shanghai Surprise is usually not my bag at all, but they've made a decent stab of reinventing "Favourite". Quite enjoyable.

Two weeks until the album is released. I haven't actually ordered yet (flop loon) but I see the cassette has sold out, not that I was planning to buy that. I guess it must have been a very limited run. Strangely Amazon don't seem to have the vinyl up, just the CD.

It seems to be a very quiet release week. In Stereo did about 2.6k for number 29. Last time they were coming off the reunion so had a higher profile probably but there are more formats for this album. Top 20 would be nice.

Two weeks until the album is released. I haven't actually ordered yet (flop loon) but I see the cassette has sold out, not that I was planning to buy that. I guess it must have been a very limited run. Strangely Amazon don't seem to have the vinyl up, just the CD.

It seems to be a very quiet release week. In Stereo did about 2.6k for number 29. Last time they were coming off the reunion so had a higher profile probably but there are more formats for this album. Top 20 would be nice.
Adele sold 2.8k for #25 this week, so pretty similar.

The vinyl was on Amazon too (I ordered from their own store), perhaps they’ve sold all their allocated batch on preorders already.

They’ve been a lot quieter with this than In Stereo so I feel it might miss the top 40 but I get the feeling they’re not overly concerned about that.

The vinyl was on Amazon too (I ordered from their own store), perhaps they’ve sold all their allocated batch on preorders already.

They’ve been a lot quieter with this than In Stereo so I feel it might miss the top 40 but I get the feeling they’re not overly concerned about that.

I'm not sure it has been that different in terms of promo so far. They've done a couple of Radio 2 spots, BBC Breakfast and This Morning. I guess there will be a an appearance or two saved for release week but there are a limited number of suitable tv opportunities for them.

I'm not sure it has been that different in terms of promo so far. They've done a couple of Radio 2 spots, BBC Breakfast and This Morning. I guess there will be a an appearance or two saved for release week but there are a limited number of suitable tv opportunities for them.

If they don't do SUNDAY BRUNCH then their booker needs to be sacked! :disco:

Do they let guests drink wine on this Sunday Brunch show? I feel like they really ought to have a Bananarama Loose Women takeover, but only with Jane and Densie as the other sole panelists.

I don’t know how you feel about those ‘Porl Young’ Steps remixes, but one half of Shanghai Surprize (who remixed ‘Favourite’) is him (he was also formerly part of Sleazesisters).
I can't possibly comment on the Steps remixes (having never heard them, nor wanting to) but I do seem to recall the Sleaze Sisters providing one of the 2004 remixes of Five Star's 'System Addict' and it being my favourite.

I did wonder if we might get a remix of the single this week but no sign yet.

Anyway, gleaned from the Classic Pop and Retropop interviews:
  • There are three Sara-daughter co-writes. Alice apparently is more forward in telling Sara that her lyrics are a bit naff than Keren :D
  • Let's Go Outside was originally inspired Black Velvet, went in a dark Depeche Mode direction then full-on glam rock before finishing up in the middle
  • Future Nostalgia and What's Your Pleasure? were albums Sara was inspired by while making the album
  • There is a 'bloody awesome' studio version of Summer Night City in the can
  • Further discussion of recordings still in the vaults is batted off by Sara with 'We're very bespoke when we do an album"!

I want, NEED Summer Night City

I wonder what we’ll get for this upcoming concert too. They did the “Twosome Only Deep Cuts” thing last time so presumably not again.

I want, NEED Summer Night City

I wonder what we’ll get for this upcoming concert too. They did the “Twosome Only Deep Cuts” thing last time so presumably not again.

Lots of the album, lots of hits and a few they don't usually perform apparently.

It would be nice if the deep cuts are different ones this time around. Only Your Love and More, More, More please.

Love, Leave, Forget would probably be rather more deep than they'd go for a deep cut but it would be glorious.

Regarding Summer Night City a covers EP was mentioned in one of the interviews but it kind of read that it came from the writer rather than them. I did wonder if they have some plans for it as part of their continuing 40th celebrations - it is not usual form for them to acknowledge something unreleased in a positive way.

Speaking of covers I was moved to put this on for this first time in ages:

Still better than it has any right to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom