Bananarama - Masquerade (New Album 22nd July)

I was very restrained and just ordered the signed blue vinyl, which I see they were quite insistent on Twitter that they will be signing everything themselves when questioned on this very matter :D well, I imagine it was Alice D who was insistent on their behalves.

I’ll stream it too and buy the cd (via Moopy link of course) once Amazon discount it.

Anyone from here going? I do want to (obviously) but think it will be solo...

I'm not sure about going, a weekday that time of the month is not ideal for work.

Interesting that the shows are not the week of the album release.

Tickets are under £40 including fees so much cheaper than last time, though I assume there will be no high quality tote bags being handed out at this show.

I'm in on the Thursday.

Was tempted to do both considering the cost, but I MUST REMEMBER I AM ABOUT TO BE UNEMPLOYED!

You know ‘Favourite’ has stuck with me. I like the dramatic FLOURISH of rhyming ‘Paris’ with ‘embarrassed’. Alice clearly picked up the Dallin songwriting skills there.

I really like it too. I especially appreciate the additional lyrical bite.

Hopefully the proper single is as good.

Only vaguely Nana adjacent but I didn't know where else to post. This is what came up after listening to three versions of Don't You Want My Love by Debbie Jacobs ( :disco:) on Spotify:

I did not know that Roberta also covered Aie a Mwana.

They usually manage a Sunday supplement or two each time they return.

I wonder when we'll get the single to go along with the promo? Stuff Like That was released over five weeks before In Stereo, so next week maybe.

Yes, they seemed to make/keep themselves a bit busier in the run up to In Stereo but hopefully their preorder numbers are keeping them happy.

The Scum article reveals that the single is out on Wednesday and the million dollar deal was... to promote HAIR CURLERS

I mean, they've been the SOUND of sanitary products for a quarter of a century, so in for a penny, in for a pound springs to mind.

There's also a very amusing video Q&A, in which they let slip there is another album to celebrate the 40th anniversary, and Sara says that Cruel Summer is her favourite song because it is a CASH COW and ticks Keren off for being COMMON and VULGAR :D

I think Zoe Ball did the Stuff Like That first play as well. Hopefully this means they'll be on the playlist again.

Considering they (well Ken Bruce) still plays Love Don’t Live Here every now and then, I can’t imagine they won’t playlist this…

Video is out Friday and they are also on BBC Breakfast :disco:

They chatted to Zoe Ball for a bit before the first play. Many of the usual talking points, there was a moment when they had Favourite lined up rather than Masquerade so Alice writing for the album was mentioned and then Keren talked about her son Tom working on Countryfile. Sara bumped into Kathy Burke in Waitrose (where else).

When they start talking about the single being inspired by Black Lives Matter and #MeToo, I can't help but worry they are going to say the wrong thing. Also, the lyrics don't really sound THAT DEEP

I like, but on initial listening Favourite is probably more impactful.

Absolutely this. It feels like the same way "Stuff Like That" wasn't QUITE what we were looking for as the lead single from "In Stereo". Oh well.

Zoe I thought was fucking appalling on that interview. The Favourite mishap, not knowing they'd done a book...she clearly had zero research (or had it done for her).

Also, the incorrect pronunciation of "fantastique" is going to grate on me, I can TELL.

Also, the incorrect pronunciation of "fantastique" is going to grate on me, I can TELL.

:D I thought you might have something to say about that.

I think the production is very nice. The full version is definitely better than the edit played on the radio and I already much prefer the song to Stuff Like That, which was just a bit basic, but I also think it is probably a worse single in terms of new Bananarama record for the casual listener on Radio 2. Not that this really matters as they are pretty much preaching to their choir at this point as far as the new material goes.

:D I thought you might have something to say about that.

I think the production is very nice. The full version is definitely better than the edit played on the radio and I already much prefer the song to Stuff Like That, which was just a bit basic, but I also think it is probably a worse single in terms of new Bananarama record for the casual listener on Radio 2. Not that this really matters as they are pretty much preaching to their choir at this point as far as the new material goes.

Oh ABSOLUTELY, but it would just seem strange that they would push the much stronger "Favourite" out as a grat track.

Well, it would be if it wasn't so FUCKING OBVIOUS that they ain't going to release anything they haven't written themselves because of the royalties associated, which was just the same as what happened with Love in Stereo :D

Oh ABSOLUTELY, but it would just seem strange that they would push the much stronger "Favourite" out as a grat track.

Well, it would be if it wasn't so FUCKING OBVIOUS that they ain't going to release anything they haven't written themselves because of the royalties associated, which was just the same as what happened with Love in Stereo :D

They've both said it is their favourite on the new album too. The additional few streams and radio plays won't keep them in gin anyway.

‘Masquerade’ sounds like a solid icy electro effort on first listen, not making me rush to put it on repeat but certainly still feeling positive about the album.

Keren making use of her French A level in the lyrics.

Last edited:
I’d have liked more concentration on the “Handmaid’s Tale” girls. Up the spooky factor. But it’s definitely their best video since Love Comes.

I like the video, It looks stylish and has a decent budget. I don’t get what the four women in the wide brim hats are supposed to represent though? Witches/ Amish people/ something else?

I also think they should have had actual masquerade masks, they would have fitted with the concept better than sunglasses which give off an air of off duty pop stars hiding from the paparazzi.
I was hoping it was going to be Siobhan and Jacquie (I know) . I assume the wide brim hats are a nod to ‘Cheers Then’ as it’s the 40th anniversary year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom