Bananarama - Masquerade (New Album 22nd July)

FetchFugly

Pregnant
SOMETHING appears to be on the horizon

After how long In Stereo took (Siobhan reunion notwithstanding), I'd be pleasantly surprised if they have done enough new material for an album but we'll see...

Apparently this is out next Friday:

1650650221666.png

This seems terribly sudden and fast moving for Sara and Keren. Sara’s daughter Alice must’ve taken charge of them.

How EXCITING

The artwork seems to have rather more going on than that last time.

I wonder if their cover of Summer Night City, played only for @Sheena and a select few others will feature on this upcoming project?

It’s a covers album (finally) then? I thought they were working on new, new stuff.

That artwork is GLORIOUS!

It’s a covers album (finally) then? I thought they were working on new, new stuff.

That artwork is GLORIOUS!

I don't think it is confirmed to be a covers album, I assumed Favourite is an original song at least.

I don't think it is confirmed to be a covers album, I assumed Favourite is an original song at least.

Oh, I guessed that just from your Summer Night City comment and that Favourite was the album title. Reading too much into it.

Still, MUCH EXCITE :disco:

Oh, I guessed that just from your Summer Night City comment and that Favourite was the album title. Reading too much into it.

Still, MUCH EXCITE :disco:

Oh I guess Favourite could be the album title rather than the single, and then totally would make sense for a covers collection. I'd rather originals with maybe a cover or two but to be fair some of the Viva covers were very worthwhile.

I look forward to full details next Friday if not sooner :disco:

Actually, if they’re going to go covers, then go the whole hog for me. And save the originals for a separate project…

What an image. In the meantime, I'm definitely overdue bingeing through their catalogue again (the last album I've still not tried yet).

"Masquerade," out July 22.
  1. Favourite - 3:07
  2. Stay Wild - 3:47
  3. Velvet Lies - 2:47
  4. Masquerade - 4:13
  5. Running With The Night - 3:28
  6. Bad Love - 3:00
  7. Let's Go Outside - 3:45
  8. Brand New - 3:32
  9. Need A Little More - 3:35
  10. Forever Young - 3:34
  11. Waiting For the Sun To Shine - 4:13

Is their daughter beyond the horrendous post production on portraits of them from the last several years? I get the vanity/ageism aspect but the work is badly done, flattening the planes of their faces etc. and cheaping the overall effect of their artwork.

Is their daughter beyond the horrendous post production on portraits of them from the last several years? I get the vanity/ageism aspect but the work is badly done, flattening the planes of their faces etc. and cheaping the overall effect of their artwork.

Wash your FOUL MOUTH OUT. It's BANANARAMA. It's not as if they're known for GRITTY REALISM.

Anyway, back ON TOPIC. YAY for a new album! I'm worried it's another half covers effort, looking at that list, but then them having a bash at Running With The Night and a potentially discofied Forever Young is RATHER EXCITING :disco:

I really like that, it has been adapted for the robot Nana electro style very well. It sounds more like a development of the Viva sound than the last album.

It appears to be a Dance Music style preview song rather than the single though:

To mark the album's announcement a new song 'Favourite' is released today as a treat for fans, a cover of ALICE D.

Alice D is Sara’s daughter and ‘Brand New’ on the album is also one of her songs.

This one sounds less fully realised than Favourite, but they'll just take it all the way to the disco I expect.

I haven't been blown away by everything I've heard from Alice, but the Nanas have chosen these covers well I think.

That backing track is straight out of an early noughties Ultra Naté track- AND ALL THE BETTER FOR IT!

It also hooked into me from first listen. I’ve been humming it ever since.

They suit a darker electro sound so well.

Do I want red or blue vinyl? I must be controlled and only get one.

Love that there doesn't seem to be any option for unsigned formats on their website, unless I missed them

I predict RSI in the first degree for the girls but if it gets them a top 10 (or even 20) it'll be worth it

Love that there doesn't seem to be any option for unsigned formats on their website, unless I missed them

I predict RSI in the first degree for the girls but if it gets them a top 10 (or even 20) it'll be worth it

With sales even further in the gutter than when In Stereo was released, and with the additional formatting, you would have to be hopeful for a better chart performance.

With sales even further in the gutter than when In Stereo was released, and with the additional formatting, you would have to be hopeful for a better chart performance.

It would be a bit of a moment if they could get their first top ten studio album since the debut (!)

#masqueradetothetop

You think they actually bother to sign their own and not farm it out over a bottle or three of red to assorted homosexuals who “give it a bash” at best? :D :disco:

I always enjoy some BLURB

2022 sees legendary pop band Bananarama celebrate 40 sensational years of releasing music, chalking up an astonishing 30 chart hits and 30 million record sales. To mark this momentous occasion the band will release brand new album MASQUERADE.

Sara & Keren reunite with producer Ian Masterson and the result is a tremendously entertaining electro-dance album that sounds both fresh and quintessentially Bananarama.

They originally conceived this latest project as an EP, but when the pandemic wiped out their live schedule in 2020, they carried on writing and MASQUERADE grew into a sleek and cohesive 11-track album. "I love writing songs it’s probably my favourite part. Shutting myself away and coming up with ideas and then telling a story in less than 4 minutes, it really is quite an art , says Sara. "Arranging the music, vocals and harmonies really is our forte", Keren adds.

The album is released on 22nd July and is available for pre-order now.

To mark the album's announcement a new song Favourite is released now as a treat for fans. Listen here.

The track was written by Sara's daughter, singer songwriter Alice Dallin-Walker (Alice D) and Oscar Scheller, and originally appeared on Alice's 2018 album Narcissus. Alice also collaborated with Sara on several other tracks on the album.

"It's just a brilliant pop song," Keren says. "We've done a different take on it but with Alice on backing vocals because we couldn't not use her ad libs, they're just too good." Bananarama have always had a way with a remake but Keren says it was especially gratifying to cover a song that "is just so personal to us".

40 years after they released their debut single AIE a Mwana, Dallin and Woodward's friendship still underpins everything that Bananarama do and above all, makes it fun. "From the age of 18 or 19, to be able to travel the world and write and perform music, it really has been incredible," Dallin says. "Yes, there's a lot of hard work involved and certain things we'd rather not have to do (:D), but we have achieved so much and we’ve had some hilarious moments along the way. And they never seem to stop!" Woodward says their band members always know when they have arrived at the airport "because they can hear the laughter coming".

And long may it continue: as MASQUERADE shows, Bananarama's creative flame is burning brighter than ever.

Sounds like maybe Keren wasn't feeling writing over Zoom and Sara roped in daughter for some more co-writes.

Additional PR gumpf. The title track is apparently the proper single:

The result is a tremendously entertaining electro-dance album that sounds both fresh and quintessentially Bananarama. Its title track and lead single is a pulsing slice of club pop with a hint of Pet Shop Boys in its musical DNA and lyrics that tap into our growing awareness of identity. “ When I was in lockdown, there were a lot of conversations happening to do with inclusivity, diversity and gender and racial equality," Dallin explains. "And that kind of led to this idea of 'masquerade': how you present yourself in different ways depending on the situation, but really, you just want people to live how they want to live. It's a song we're really very proud of."

At times, the album is both wistful and anthemic. "Stay wild, stay wild and free – you are evergreen," they sing on the shimmering 'Stay Wild'. Other highlights like 'Bad Love' and 'Let's Go Outside' have a cheeky glint in their eye. The latter has a brilliant bridge with a perfectly timed pause: "I've got a feeling in my soul that you and me are gonna be something a little more... than friends."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom