Star Trek: Picard

I've been "catching up" on the first two seasons in anticipation for the third. SO MUCH to say

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: COB
Confusingly, this is apparently on both Prime Video AND Paramount+ in the UK :o

Just watched the first episode of the third season. :o

Why can't ALL Star Trek series and films be set in the 25th century?

So
did Bev and Picard get it on off camera during the first season of TNG and she gave birth to his child when she was absent from the show in the second season

if so :o and how convenient was her firing to the retcon. :D

I binged the first 2 seasons but I appreciate I was late in watching them.

I honestly didn't mind them.

I just went on my Prime and Picard is back in my continue watching list, episode 1 of season 3 is anyway.

I was worried it was going to be like Discovery, only available on Paramount+ or Pluto TV and I never watched it on Pluto because you can't tape it or watch when you want, so I ended up just giving up on it altogether.

That was a very strong opener, leaning quite heavily on the nostalgia but I think it all held together well. Queen Gates stole the show obviously, but the Picard/Riker scenes were a joy and it just felt like Stewart and Frakes were having a ball together. I was also really happy that we got a couple of scenes with Laris - she's by far my favourite new character in this show, and I was worried she'd have been excised like most of the other initial cast members :eyes: Very curious where it's going, though since this one had a lot of setup it might have been an idea to release two episodes in the first week to help get the momentum going.

About the big revealed/implied thing in this episode...
I really hope it isn't as simple as Bev and Jean-Luc having had a quick bunk up, her getting pregnant and just never telling him about it for reasons. When did she give birth? The actor playing her son is 34, so he's a bit young to have been born during her TNG season 2 disappearance, but a good decade too old for it to have been post-Nemesis. I also don't buy that Beverly wouldn't have said anything if she'd had another son during her time on the Enterprise, particularly when Wesley was around - and it makes Generations even crueller, since much of the plot of that film was about Picard dealing with his name ending forever following the death of his brother and nephew. I'm going to guess he IS their child genetically, but there's been some sort of cloning/genetic/accelerated ageing gubbins going on. But why? I suppose we'll find out :o

Before the season came out I saw an interview with the trans YouTuber Jessie Earl where she talked about something in the first couple of episodes that really resonated with her. I'm guessing it's the stuff with Seven and her name, which definitely has strong parallels with the whole deadnaming thing.

Reactions: dUb
About the big revealed/implied thing in this episode...
I really hope it isn't as simple as Bev and Jean-Luc having had a quick bunk up, her getting pregnant and just never telling him about it for reasons. When did she give birth? The actor playing her son is 34, so he's a bit young to have been born during her TNG season 2 disappearance, but a good decade too old for it to have been post-Nemesis. I also don't buy that Beverly wouldn't have said anything if she'd had another son during her time on the Enterprise, particularly when Wesley was around - and it makes Generations even crueller, since much of the plot of that film was about Picard dealing with his name ending forever following the death of his brother and nephew. I'm going to guess he IS their child genetically, but there's been some sort of cloning/genetic/accelerated ageing gubbins going on. But why? I suppose we'll find out :o
He's not too young at all. The second season was aired during 1988/89, in which case he is the exact age!

Interesting! I was under the impression that the time jump from the TNG era to Picard isn't quite 1:1 with the real world, but it would still put things in the same ballpark.

The idea of her having a child then just not being around for most of the first decade of his life just feels so WRONG for the character, though :(

There was a small amount of conflict between Crusher and Picard in the first season though (because of their shared backstory) plus he hated children at the start and they very nearly got it on ON camera in that first year.

There are reasons to justify why the character would keep it from him, a career oriented Starfleet officer - her absence as a mother for the first 13 years of her child's life is less easier to explain. There is the possible guilt of procreating with her dead husband's best friend I suppose.

I have no qualms with them retconning in this instance (or in general really) so long as they provide adequate reasoning for the character's actions. I know it was Roddenberry's influence but earlier TNG was much too stuffy anyway (the lack of significant conflict and profanity amongst humans was perhaps too idealistic a depiction of the future) - I actually appreciate the fact that we are discovering more flaws in the characters.

They'll explain it away by saying she visited him at every shore leave. Why does he have an English accent though?

If it's anti-Roddenberry conflict and flawed characters you're after, do I have the SHOW FOR YOU:
p183888_b_h10_ad.jpg

(If you haven't already seen it :tongueout:)

• Love
Reactions: dUb
If it's anti-Roddenberry conflict and flawed characters you're after, do I have the SHOW FOR YOU:
p183888_b_h10_ad.jpg

(If you haven't already seen it :tongueout:)
I watched all three of the 80s/90s shows. Enterprise turned me off the franchise.

• Love
I did hear that Enterprise got quite good in the last couple of seasons, but it had such a rough start that I still haven't gone back :o

I would never describe myself as a Trekkie (I don't have much emotional attachment to the first series despite watching the BBC repeats in my adolescence) but I was heavily invested in TNG and to a slightly lesser extent DD9 and Voyager.

I did hear that Enterprise got quite good in the last couple of seasons, but it had such a rough start that I still haven't gone back :o
The fact that it was a Rick Berman
/Branon Braga creation was an instant turn off. Some outside input would have helped with Voyager's final seasons and so I certainly wasn't interested in engaging with the self indulgent wankfest that was on the cards with Enterprise. I watched a handful of episodes and never returned to it.

Just wanted to add, there was a cinematic quality to the first episode in a way that felt different to the previous two seasons (though the production values have been stellar across all three to be fair).

The first episode was fantastic! We better be getting a LOT more Beverly. Icon :disco:

The whole thing is totally FAN BOY'S* DREAM but I'm totally fine with that

*Other genders also available

• Love
Opening with "I don't want to set the world on fire"? Thought I was watching Fallout 3 at first!

Intrigued. Ironically the other major comment I have is about the ending credits, which would make for a great intro to a TNG reboot or new series set in that era.

I like how after all this time of Nu Trek we finally have Starfleet that looks like Starfleet, bridge sets that look like they belong in the universe I knew.

The Stargazer was pretty good last year too, though obviously it would've been nice to not just visit it at the start and very end of the season :eyes:

The opener was good, although i'm not gushing about it and it felt a little... rushed? I certainly wasn't expecting Picard to have found Ms. Crusher the very same episode, put it that way.

The opener was good, although i'm not gushing about it and it felt a little... rushed? I certainly wasn't expecting Picard to have found Ms. Crusher the very same episode, put it that way.
They have 10 episodes to basically wrap TNG up :(

Clearly can't afford to waste the time.

:o the second episode was sensational but

BOO at Crusher not having even ONE word to say

Seems the showrunner has confirmed that Jack was conceived around the time of Nemesis....which not only seems a bit of a lost opportunity (what with Ed Speleers' real age lining up with Beverly's absence from TNG in season 2) but also....a bit of a stretch? The actress was in her early 50s around that time. Evidently 24th century women are able to conceive in their later years.

I honestly didn't mind the first two seasons but I wish we had at least another one featuring the TNG crew. It might be a more contemporary take on the series but the cast really deserved more of these production values.

Last edited:
Great episode, I really liked the tension of the standoff but I do hope we're not about to get an episode with them playing hide and seek in the nebula for ages :eyes: The identity of Raffi's handler wasn't much of a shock, but how lovely to see him again... I do hope that blink and you'll miss it shot of a baseball in the Ferengi's collection wasn't the much-touted thing for the DS9 fans to watch out for, but the way modern Trek pays it dust I wouldn't be surprised :tongueout:

It was understandable that the TNG movies didn't feature DS9 characters but I think it would be a huge shame if no effort was made to incorporate an appearance from one in this.

I'd have loved to have seen Kira in some context somewhere.

Bit disappointed in the third episode after two great ones. Some of the scenes didn't ring entirely true to the characters. I'd have liked more scenes featuring Stewart and McFadden to be honest.

So on reflection maybe I had unrealistic expectations. It's been 20 years since we last saw these characters so they are understandably different. This episode was clearly about conflict though and it's slightly disarming to see it amongst the TNG crew who were generally a happy bunch

Given the backstory, I do think Ed Speleers is too old to play the character though.

Also the jittery camera work is doing my nut in. It's difficult to follow what is happening a lot of the time.

Last edited:
Oh my god at the villain reveal, so happy they're back :o Also -
"I was contacted by a friend within the Link - a man of honour" :')

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom