Star Trek: Picard

A strong episode, I was starting to get a bit impatient with the Raffi plot but Worf getting involved has really helped, Michael Dorn is elevating every scene he's in. The ship battle was fun, I enjoyed the Picard/Riker tension and Vadic continually trolling them with the portals was excellent. I've come to really quite enjoy Shaw, so I hope he's up and about again before too long. The scene with Picard and Crusher just about sold me on everything regarding Beverly's decisions, though what the fuck at the mention of her not seeing Wesley. They established last season that he can travel through time and space like it's nothing, you'd think he could pop over and see his mum occasionally :shock:

I know they are all older so it's not really practical to expect too many more stories featuring them but I really relish the universe that TNG created (alongside DS9 and Voyager). I wish we could have another series that at was at least set in the 25th century with occasional guest appearances from the old folk (TNG, DS9 and VOY).

I care not for ANOTHER prequel series, a reboot or one set so far in the distant future that it has little resemblance to Star Trek.

Agreed! Most Trek fans I've discussed anything with just want another general post Voyager show. An idea they are adept at "evasive manoeuvres" over....

Good episode generally and honestly I cried when Picard got to experience his "17 seconds". Right there with him thinking that, well, this show isn't shy about killing anyone off. Felt his relief when he scraped through the resuscitation. I'm not even fond of the lad, he's a sod, but they made me feel it regardless.

Downside to the episode, I do not like the glorification of torture as a "useful" interrogation method. It was shit when Archer did it in Enterprise when it had its 9/11 allegory and it's shit with this one too. Anger at how shit someone is shouldn't override the Geneva Convention now or any equivalent in the future

Other than that, excellent.

Last episode (No Win Scenario) was superb. If it keeps it up I'm honestly going to be distraught that we aren't getting another season.

Loved everything about. Loved that they referenced Encounter At Far Point.

Picard swearing was a low point however

Reactions: COB
That was fab. Tears twice. I almost did that thing people do where they clap at the end even though no one can hear

Yes, a really strong episode - that monologue from Shaw was great, I've had such a turnaround on his character since the start of the season.

The plan to get out of the nebula (and the unknowable creatures living in the depths of space) felt VERY classic Star Trek in a way this show rarely has before.

I'm curious about that vision Jack had at the end of the episode - it looked a lot like the Upside Down from Stranger Things :shock: I've seen people speculate that it could be related to
the Borg... Jack is potentially the only child conceived by someone who left the collective, and when Picard was still biological he apparently still had a LOT of Borg technology in his body. If that includes nanotechnology maybe it passed into Jack, making him unique and able to pick up signals from the real Borg (not the Agnes branch)?

The episode just gave me so many feels and it brought back memories of watching TNG the first time around over 30 years ago. I have so much affection for that cast and their camaraderie and I didn’t fully realise how much I had missed them all these years. I am absolutely loving Jonathan Frakes’s work in this.

• Care
Episode titles for the rest of the season:
5 - Imposter
6 - Bounty
7 - Dominion
8 - Surrender
9 - Vox
10 - The Last Generation
:ShockedSenhit: at one of those in particular!!

Also the next episode briefly went online early in Brazil and there's a spoiler floating around, so be careful!

The Vadic hand scene confused me a little (as to what she actually IS) when watching, but the showrunner confirms:

I wonder who she was talking to, though... she seemed quite scared of them :o

Episode titles for the rest of the season:
5 - Imposter
6 - Bounty
7 - Dominion
8 - Surrender
9 - Vox
10 - The Last Generation
:ShockedSenhit: at one of those in particular!!
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
The brainstorming scenes in the Observation Lounge were classic TNG. I loved watching those as a kid/teenager.

Oh crap, I inadvertently read who the BIG guest star appearance is in the next episode. :o Damn it.

On a side note I am really enjoying Gates McFadden's podcast. She comes across as very endearing if a little kooky and insecure. The interviews are really relaxed though and you can tell just how close knit the cast of TNG still are.

Incidentally I was surprised that I had forgotten that Nana Visitor was related to Hollywood royalty but also shocked at the revelation of what happened to her during the filming of Deep Space Nine.

Also I will say that this third season arc seems far too big to be contained within 10 episodes. I don't understand why they restricted themselves in that way - surely they could have made the second season shorter and devoted more time to this?

Season two might have benefitted from a couple of episodes being sliced out, things could've been a lot tighter!

...also shocked at the revelation of what happened to her during the filming of Deep Space Nine.
Is this generally well known in Trek circles?

Clearly DS9 was before the age of the internet but given that she's quite open about it now, it's unusual that it's not even mentioned in her Wikipedia profile.

I don't know what you're referring to :o I know she married (and later divorced) Alexander Siddig while they were on the show together, but I'm guessing you're not talking about that!

I don't know what you're referring to :o I know she married (and later divorced) Alexander Siddig while they were on the show together, but I'm guessing you're not talking about that!

She was driving home from DS9 in 1994 and was abducted at gunpoint, put in a van and driven home where the abductors tied her and the housekeeper up and molested her and robbed the place.

• Wow
She was driven back home after it happened and then they were tied up. She was expecting to be killed on several occasions.

WHAT AN EPISODE! :o

The scenes with
Ro Laren
held so much emotional weight. Wow.

Gutted that the character has been killed off - the brief time she spent on TNG was amazing but realistically Trek has never been something Michelle Forbes has ever wanted to do long term, hence why she turned down the DS9 role. I did always wonder what would have become of her though.

Also, are
Jack's visions connected to Beverly? The voices that can be heard in his visions definitely sound like her

This season is so fucking great. Why was this not a three season arc? What a lost opportunity!

Well that was another fantastic episode - SO happy to see that returning character again, that big scene with Picard on the holodeck was properly electric and also made me a bit teary eyed. I'm glad that Jack ended up telling Beverly about what's happening to him at the end, it was veering dangerously close to that crap trope of characters just not talking to each other for plot reasons but I guess they were both having a busy day.

With the changelings being involved, I'm wondering if Jack's condition might be related to
the Pah Wraiths? The red eyes in his vision were quite similar to Dukat's when he was possessed by them :shock:

Loved this shot so much:
giphy.gif

This is turning out to be possibly my favourite series of a Star Trek franchise ever :o

It's incredibly strong, the drama and suspense is so palpable throughout, the characters have all really come into their own and I am on the edge of my seat through every episode!

Literally shaking and crying by the end of episode 5!

It's the TNG cast - that universe. Stewart aside, Frakes has so much charisma in that chair. I really care about all these characters. Then you add a new character as great as Shaw into the mix and it's just more than you could want.

The Worf scenes have been played precisely how I want them.

One thing, Troi and Geordi have really gotten short shrift, particularly La Forge. Matalas supposedly enticed Levar back with this ten episode arc for his character only for him not to feature AT ALL in the first five episodes!

I know that Marina Sirtis apparently had some sort of scheduling issue which is why she's only appeared via comm screens so far, but given how this episode ended I'm expecting the full TNG cast reunion to be happening asap now. Who else can they trust? :shock:

I do definitely want more Troi, I think it's fair to say that both her and Crusher got a really raw deal across the TNG movies and it'd be nice for both of them to get their dues (I think it's fair to say Bev has MORE than got that even five episodes into this :disco:)

I said the name of the surprise character when we saw her from the back - as a joke! :shock:

I really need an appearance from a DS9 regular (one that's not also from TNG) and I feel it coming 🔮

• Love
Poor Miles O'Brien.

I would ONLY want Kira to be honest. I can take or leave Bashir and obviously Odo is a no go. We don't need any light relief so Quark would be a waste and Sisko would likely be a car crash. He got namechecked in the previous season at least.

I know that Marina Sirtis apparently had some sort of scheduling issue which is why she's only appeared via comm screens so far, but given how this episode ended I'm expecting the full TNG cast reunion to be happening asap now. Who else can they trust? :shock:
I saw a soundbite from her saying they were in it "LOTS" but I guess she could have been speaking about the rest of the rabble.

Quick question for Moopy Trek fans - can you be a Trekkie and NOT be fussed about TOS or care at all about Enterprise and also most of so-called "nuTrek"? I certainly watched repeats of the original series as a kid but the show never really stuck in the way TNG did. DS9 and Voyager sustained my interest primarily because they were set in the same timeline and universe (and certainly in the case of DS9, because it was a great show) but I do feel a bit of a fraud discussing the Star Trek mythos in an authoritative way.

Quick question for Moopy Trek fans - can you be a Trekkie and NOT be fussed about TOS or care at all about Enterprise and also most of so-called "nuTrek"? I certainly watched repeats of the original series as a kid but the show never really stuck in the way TNG did. DS9 and Voyager sustained my interest primarily because they were set in the same timeline and universe (and certainly in the case of DS9, because it was a great show) but I do feel a bit of a fraud discussing the Star Trek mythos in an authoritative way.
That is basically me too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom