Kate Middleton receiving treatment for cancer

Yeah, I agree, I think, after some reflection and time to try and convince myself I'm not actually evil.

I agree it's in poor taste, but there's a difference between speculating that someone may be dead based on how this whole event was handled and reported, and actively wishing someone dead.

Absolutely. And I don’t think anyone actually WAS. In here at least. (Ron and Zen to confirm)

I do feel bad, obviously, but with all due respect most of the speculating from us was non-malicious and tongue-in-cheek. The photoshop mishap, the woman that really didn’t appear to be her in the farm shop etc. Lets be real - EVERYTHING that led up to this moment was truly bizarre. People do and will talk… it’s the internet.

Anyway, best of luck to her in her recovery.

Cover of the STOP FUCKING HATE today says "how do all the vile online trolls feel now?"

Funny they've never said the same about any Meghan story...
Forgive me for not caring for the opinion of Amanda Platell, who only 2 days ago was ripping into Meghan with this article:

With Kate away, Meghan seized her chance to look like the perfect wholesome 'mompreneur' ... then the REAL Royal mummy returned and had the last word

And the serious point is that the speculation happened because they (the palace) first, left an information vacuum, which was inevitably going to be filled by someone, and then second, made it mainstream by attempting to lie and getting caught.

Regardless on your view of what Kate and the public are respectively entitled to, her team and/or husband actively made things worse by taking decisions with easily foreseeable consequences.

(that very amusing S Club Jo clip aside) I don't know why everyone has to debate the hypocrisy. The jokes were all made in good jest. Nothing to do with cancer, the jokes were around the "WHERE HAS SHE GONE" hysteria and the way the media and social media went OTT about it. It really was quite ridiculous and it gave us all a chance to be very British and take the piss out of an absurd situation. It's fine.

I don't think she's done anything wrong, either. She has cancer, she took some time to wrap her head around it, she started chemo. Whether she should or shouldn't have said anything really doesn't matter because it's okay if she made a mistake or got the PR wrong - she has cancer. It's all bit grim for twitter to start accusing her of some pre-meditated strategy to keep secrets. Blaming the State or the Palace is a bit unfair also, they were probably just bowing to her wishes. Whether you believe she deserves her space or whether you believe she is owned by the public really doesn't matter either - the argument about her judgement (or lack of it) plays a distant second to her diagnosis.

The prognosis seems good. It'll all be fine and we can still joke about how the Palace fucks up from time to time. But she hasn't actually done anything wrong.
Absolutely perfectly put.

I saw no malicious comments whatsoever, it’s ok to have a dark sense of humour around something that feels so detached from reality (because it mostly is). A dry wit runs through the core of Moopy and always has. I appreciate it was probably really tricky to handle, especially with her age, but understand we are where we are. I’m sure everyone that speculated will wish her well, knowing the extent of the situation.

For me personally the entire premise of a royal family in 2024 is one that makes me feel quite uncomfortable. Speculating about them makes the reality of the situation more bearable for me, but I do not wish them any actual harm.

The prognosis doesn’t seem dire, although I understand at this point she will need space and time and given the fact she’ll be receiving the very best care I’m hopeful she’ll be fine.

What IS seriously toxic IMO is the baited breath over “WHAT WILL MEGHAN SAY?” the expectation now that if Meghan does not speak out it confirms the nasty piece of work she is. I’ve seen so much of it online. Why are we making it about Meghan? She seemingly tapped out of royal life, and is living fairly quietly in California. I’m not even a fan of Meghan (couldn’t give two shits to be honest) but twisting the narrative towards her imo is very very odd.

Forgive me for not caring for the opinion of Amanda Platell, who only 2 days ago was ripping into Meghan with this article:

With Kate away, Meghan seized her chance to look like the perfect wholesome 'mompreneur' ... then the REAL Royal mummy returned and had the last word

And this is exactly when speculation and internet tittle tattle crosses the line.

WHO FUCKING CARES? I appreciate people find Meghan false and annoying but for what it’s worth she’s financially independent of the firm (apparently), so let her do what she likes!

I’m not paying for her - no fucks given!

What IS seriously toxic IMO is the baited breath over “WHAT WILL MEGHAN SAY?” the expectation now that if Meghan does not speak out it confirms the nasty piece of work she is. I’ve seen so much of it online. Why are we making it about Meghan? She seemingly tapped out of royal life, and is living fairly quietly in California. I’m not even a fan of Meghan (couldn’t give two shits to be honest) but twisting the narrative towards her imo is very very odd.
And no doubt Meghan will either be 'fake' or 'insincere', or using Kate's illness to rehabilitate herself or somesuch.

I'm very much of the view that humour around the speculation, the fake Photoshop, the lookalike at the farm shop and all that were perfectly reasonable. Moopy as a whole caught early on that something was seriously amiss and several of us made remarks to that end. It's three different subjects - the actual reasons for her absence, the wild speculation and the handling of that by the palace with fakes and lookalikes.

Absolutely. And I don’t think anyone actually WAS. In here at least. (Ron and Zen to confirm)
I wish her well, and I empathise. All while being acutely aware she’ll receiving the best care possible in the entire world and recovering in absolute luxury while being waited on by a team of help at the same time people are dying waiting for cancer treatment on the NHS.

I wish her well, and I empathise. All while being acutely aware she’ll receiving the best care possible in the entire world and recovering in absolute luxury while being waited on by a team of help at the same time people are dying waiting for cancer treatment on the NHS.

Oh absolutely. I agree entirely. I was being facetious at you both.

But also that point goes way beyond just royal privilege.

You’re not wrong though, and I think it’s absolutely fine to have perspective. No one wishes anyone ill will when it comes to cancer but the truth is her prospects will probably be much different from a person coming from a much lower socio-economic background.

Still, as I said and most importantly - much empathy and hopefully a speedy recovery for the sake of her and her young children.

Well it's all relative, my lovely Ronald. There are many people around the world who think our basic NHS access is luxury and the best care possible but I wouldn't begrudge anyone from moopy getting that care if they were sick.

I don't blame anyone for their privilege. At least this lot make use of their ridiculous wealth and pump billions into our tourism industry. It's not like they sit on their arse like some of the inherently wealthy.

(by the way - NOT a Royalist, just a pragmatist! I'm okay with people who don't acknowledge our Royals, it's just my opinion)

It’s the press but it’s also the social media/ commentator industry that have been making a fuck load of money out of this for weeks…

Though if I were a royal and Paddington Bear showed up thesedays I would shit myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom