Kate Middleton receiving treatment for cancer

their entire PR team should be fired. they fuelled this entire situation. they could've handled it without revealing her diagnosis.

she looks well and I feel like she'll be fine but poor girl having to go through all this.

Yes, I’m sure the past couple of weeks at school have been much easier for them… :eyes:

I don't want three kids to experience the death of their mother at such a young age. It was bad enough for us and we were 22, 20 and 15.
And William facing that for his own children knowing what he and his brother went through. Rough.

their entire PR team should be fired. they fuelled this entire situation. they could've handled it without revealing her diagnosis.

she looks well and I feel like she'll be fine but poor girl having to go through all this.

I also think that shows a basic misunderstanding of how much of this was controlled by “the palace”.

No PR company would make the level of shit show this was at without interference. It’s basic level shit.

They may be made the scapegoat, however.

They threw her under the bus for the photoshop, presumably knowing about the cancer themselves.

I'm sure these past few weeks will become an entire university module for PR

I think the attempt to keep Kate’s health private has to be seen in the context of what happened to Diana. William has been determined to keep his family business private given the media circus that surrounded his mother and which contributed to her death.

Obviously it backfired but it does explain the apprehensiveness of disclosing her cancer diagnosis.

Is the waiting for Easter break thing because they pack their kids off to boarding school? Is that the reason for the Photoshop disaster?

I agree with all of this - but I do think she looks on the wrong side of / bad couple of months health-wise skinny. Takes one to know one.

But hopefully she'll get there.

Last edited:
I assume she ACTUALLY DID DO the Photoshop because there is no way anyone would think pinning it on her in these circumstances would make sense otherwise. God forbid a woman have HOBBIES!

Personally, I’d regard the public’s right to know about Kate’s health as being on a similar level to a senior politician. If the Prime Minister were ever to be diagnosed with cancer, I would expect at least that fact to be announced as soon as reasonably practicable and any attempt to actively cover the news up to go down very poorly indeed.
It’s absurd comparing the Princess of Wales to the Prime Minister. She has next to zero responsibilities, and won’t be consulted if we need to launch nuclear weapons. Waiting until the kids are on Easter Holidays is completely unproblematic.

PR- wise, I think a “look, we were wrong” acknowledgement would have gone a long way too. Frame it as “but these are bloody difficult times right now and we got it wrong”, but I think that would have done them all the world of good in this situation.

I assume she ACTUALLY DID DO the Photoshop because there is no way anyone would think pinning it on her in these circumstances would make sense otherwise. God forbid a woman have HOBBIES!
of course she didn't :D they threw her under the bus!!!

She could theoretically be a Counsellor of State tomorrow if the King suddenly died and William was out the country. She's part of the state apparatus and should be treated as such
Hence the “next to zero” in my post. Princess Eugenie is in the same position re Counsellors of State.

Has anyone found a way to blame Meghan yet?

I’ll predict a variation on one of these depending on the response.

Ice queen Meghan silent following Kate’s heartbreaking cancer diagnosis.

Or

Cynical Meghan turns Kate’s heartbreaking cancer battle into a PR stunt with insincere public statement.

Choose your own horrible, horrible adventure!

And I'd argue that if she had a major medical condition the public should be made aware of it too
What statutory deadline would you set? It looks like the Princess of Wales has waited three weeks. (I’m guessing this is the emergency that causes the Prince of Wales to skip out on King Constantine’s service at the last minute).

What statutory deadline would you set? It looks like the Princess of Wales has waited three weeks. (I’m guessing this is the emergency that causes the Prince of Wales to skip out on King Constantine’s service at the last minute).
I don't know, but fundamentally you are trying to rationalise a completely irrational system of government. But what is clear is that it took way too long for us to be informed about Kate. And as someone else said earlier, actively covering it up rather than a statement, which could have been as simple as "potentially more serious than first thought, more tests being done" etc. is a fundamental failure of the palace machinery

It’s absurd comparing the Princess of Wales to the Prime Minister. She has next to zero responsibilities, and won’t be consulted if we need to launch nuclear weapons. Waiting until the kids are on Easter Holidays is completely unproblematic.
If no one had noticed then three weeks wouldn’t necessarily be a problem. The palace should have known that they needed to make an announcement when they were making a fake photo to distract the proles. And she might not have responsibilities but that’s not the same as not having power. She could be two heartbeats, one of which is already circling the drain, from being regent and, presumably, getting a weekly private meeting with the Prime Minister.

I hope Kate's "oops-me-and-my-Photoshop" moment was genuine.

Because otherwise how ghoulish of the establishment to throw an ill woman under the bus and fuel fires like that.

Also prayers for Liz Jones.

At least she's made it to 40. The last princess of a to-be-king didn't make it that far.

Starting to think the position is cursed.

This is really sad and I hope she makes a full recovery. Regardless of my thoughts on the institution Kate is a gorgeous young mother with everything to live for. Releasing that video in the midst of cancer treatment is no easy feat and I actually admire her for being upfront.

It's actually shocking how atrociously this was all handled by her press team. You can't even claim she was 'hounded' into revealing her diagnosis; if clearly photoshopped images of her are being passed off as genuine of course people will talk about it.

The image probably was photoshopped by Kate and is it any wonder that she didn't do a great job given the circumstances? The palace obviously didn't deal with it in the best way but unlike Charles, there wasn't the complexity of having to shield young children to contend with.

Regardless of what you think of the monarchy, this is a young mother with very young children who is having to deal with all of this in the glare of the spotlight. You can't not have empathy with her.

Last edited:
I've just watched her video :(

I mean we all joked about different things that were going on, but I never expected this.

I totally understand why they've kept quiet for so long, but I do wonder, had they been open about things a bit earlier, then it would have ended all the speculation and everyone would have left them alone to process it.

At least, I hope now, everyone does leave them alone.

Last edited:
(that very amusing S Club Jo clip aside) I don't know why everyone has to debate the hypocrisy. The jokes were all made in good jest. Nothing to do with cancer, the jokes were around the "WHERE HAS SHE GONE" hysteria and the way the media and social media went OTT about it. It really was quite ridiculous and it gave us all a chance to be very British and take the piss out of an absurd situation. It's fine.

I don't think she's done anything wrong, either. She has cancer, she took some time to wrap her head around it, she started chemo. Whether she should or shouldn't have said anything really doesn't matter because it's okay if she made a mistake or got the PR wrong - she has cancer. It's all bit grim for twitter to start accusing her of some pre-meditated strategy to keep secrets. Blaming the State or the Palace is a bit unfair also, they were probably just bowing to her wishes. Whether you believe she deserves her space or whether you believe she is owned by the public really doesn't matter either - the argument about her judgement (or lack of it) plays a distant second to her diagnosis.

The prognosis seems good. It'll all be fine and we can still joke about how the Palace fucks up from time to time. But she hasn't actually done anything wrong.

I don’t understand all the people going “oh I never expected this” and being regretful, when everyone was actually quite happily joking about her being dead.

I mean, I did too, but I’m owning it, at least…

Well I feel like a cunt! I suppose the thing is there’s some DRAMA in the idea that William did her in, whereas cancer is nothing but fucking sad.

Well I feel like a cunt! I suppose the thing is there’s some DRAMA in the idea that William did her in, whereas cancer is nothing but fucking sad.
Yeah the boomer take is now very "HOPE YOU'RE ALL ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!!" conveniently ignoring that the joke was the shambles of the media handling, not that a young woman was possibly seriously ill.

How can you NOT lol at them releasing a pic of Kate being "fine" and it's the back of her head in a car. How can you NOT lol at her floating head being cut and pasted onto a green screen?

I hope she'll be okay and I agree she has a right to privacy, but I'm not going to feel guilty for a few lols at what's been the news story of the year so far.

Last edited:
Yeah the boomer take is now very "HOPE YOU'RE ALL ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!!" conveniently ignoring that then joke was the shambles of the media handling, not that a young woman was possibly seriously ill.

How can you NOT lol at them releasing a pic of Kate being "fine" and it's the back of her head in a car. How can you NOT lol at her floating head being cut and pasted onto a green screen?

I hope she'll be okay and I agree she has a right to privacy, but I'm not going to feel guilty for a few lols at what's been the news story of the year so far.
Yeah, I agree, I think, after some reflection and time to try and convince myself I'm not actually evil.

I agree it's in poor taste, but there's a difference between speculating that someone may be dead based on how this whole event was handled and reported, and actively wishing someone dead.

Yeah the boomer take is now very "HOPE YOU'RE ALL ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!!" conveniently ignoring that then joke was the shambles of the media handling, not that a young woman was possibly seriously ill.

I think this much better articulates what I was trying to say drunk last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom