Hollyoaks nearly DEAD

Inner Smile

Moopy Diamond
At one point I loved this and it was my fave soap (Probs around 2005 - 2007) Mandy, Tony and the cot death story, Becca & Justin, Andy Holt rape storyline, Craig/John Paul, early days of the McQueens etc

Then it just got more crazy as the years went on and I think its the worst thing on tv nowadays, I can't even watch now. Never has a soap changed so much as this

Last edited:
I've never seen any soap but "Tony and the cot death story" sounds beyond depressing

I never bothered with it even when I was proper into soaps in the early 2000s and would religiously watch Family Affairs (for its last two years anyway).

It's very obviously going to be the next one axed. 25+ years is not a bad run for a "teen" soap on a smaller channel

At one point I loved this and it was my fave soap (Probs around 2005 - 2007) Mandy, Tony and the cot death story, Becca & Justin, Andy Holt rape storyline, Craig/John Paul, early days of the McQueens etc

Then it just got more crazy as the years went on and I think its the worst thing on tv nowadays, I can't even watch now. Never has a soap changed so much as this

Might there be another reason why you no longer enjoy Hollyoaks - a soap aimed at TEENAGERS and YOUNG ADULTS - as much as you did SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO?

The T4 omnibus was perfect Sunday morning fodder. I probably stopped watching it around the time when Max died.

Might there be another reason why you no longer enjoy Hollyoaks - a soap aimed at TEENAGERS and YOUNG ADULTS - as much as you did SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO?

THIS, I literally watched it between the ages of 14 and 17, like I was supposed to.

Watching it now though everyone is either GAY or DISABLED or GAY AND DISABLED.

When just about everybody became a mass murderer was when it massively went downhill

Do you know who I can't fucking stand? Grace:
ns1ep2g.jpg

Fifteen disasters a year, a dozen active serial killers per square foot, and yet somehow this talentless irritant manages to survive to middle age.

Reactions: GNL
I only stopped watching Hollyoaks last year but it was mostly out of habit and one of the few things Mr K and I watched together. (Another one is a soap even more niche).

In hindsight I don’t know why I watched it for so long because it really was a load of shit. It’s been circling the drain for years and really needs putting out of its misery.

She has a lot to answer for. She was one of the prime examples of siblings growing up together but having accents from opposite ends of the country.

The McQueens really took this to heady new heights.

I stopped Watching religiously about 10 years ago and only occasionally dip in and out again. The last storyline I was invested in was when Tony was locked in the barn for what seemed like forever after being kidnapped by a serial killer. Not Silas, the other one.

They got rid of the university in the end, but did anybody ever manage to survive long enough to graduate?

One thing I found very frustrating with Hollyoaks was that it was issue-led to the point of nonsense. You'd have a friendly, peaceful guy who'd been in the show for years and then because they wanted to do a domestic abuse storyline he'd become a PSYCHOPATH for six months. Then he'd come back a few month later, lovely again, but now addicted to crack.

They got rid of the university in the end, but did anybody ever manage to survive long enough to graduate?

One thing I found very frustrating with Hollyoaks was that it was issue-led to the point of nonsense. You'd have a friendly, peaceful guy who'd been in the show for years and then because they wanted to do a domestic abuse storyline he'd become a PSYCHOPATH for six months. Then he'd come back a few month later, lovely again, but now addicted to crack.
The uni was always the best bit for me. I don’t think anyone successfully obtained a degree, but it was great fun getting a new intake and working out which ones would be dead by the end of term.

Do they still have the mural for the fire victims in the village square, or has that gone now that everyone who remembers them has been murdered?

Zoe and Kris graduated and they worked in a call centre for a while with a boss from hell which was a fun storyline. Nancy must have done too to be able to teach.

Yeah they did this often. Complete personality changes overnight. And then they’d build up to the reveal and have a huge episode and then forget to write a decent storyline for the aftermath.

It’s not as bad as it used to be (or at least by the time I stopped watching)but at one point it felt like they had a death every week, and it was so saturated that it lost any effect because it didn’t mean anything. We had whole families who were all killed off one by one over a few years.

One other thing is they so many of the cast are TERRIBLE actors. Most of them are just playing themselves, as we have seen with some of them on reality TV shows. The majority of them leave never to be seen on anything ever again.

Hollyoaks just reminds me of Nathalie Emmanuel and her horrific acting. How did she become so famous?

Nathalie Emmanuel GIF by The Roku Channel

Yeah they did this often. Complete personality changes overnight. And then they’d build up to the reveal and have a huge episode and then forget to write a decent storyline for the aftermath.

It’s not as bad as it used to be (or at least by the time I stopped watching)but at one point it felt like they had a death every week, and it was so saturated that it lost any effect because it didn’t mean anything. We had whole families who were all killed off one by one over a few years.
Oh the death rate is ridiculous. And then they’ll have funerals where family members who’ve already left the show don’t bother to turn up. The worst was when the twins died and their Mum was ‘too upset’ to come to the funeral of two of her three children, or even stop by to see if her one remaining child was okay.

Haha Mercedes' son killed Silas and his spirit must have transferred into him because he's just committed his first murder.

RELEGATED to E4, won't be shown on Channel 4 anymore

What are they going to put on instead, another old episode of The Simpsons?

The omnibus remains for what it is worth. Putting a leading the way with digital spin on things I see.

I see Mercedes is having an(other) affair, this time with Warren who is somehow alive after multiple attempts on his life over the years. I'm surprised it's taken them this long though. :D

RELEGATED to E4, won't be shown on Channel 4 anymore
I initially thought "it's over" from this, but this Guardian piece makes me think it might still be quite valuable to C4, even if it hauls in more advertising money for them to show something else at 6:30pm on weekday nights. I guess it'll depend on how well it does on YouTube and continues to do on E4, 4OD, and C4 for the omnibus

As an aside: BRING BACK THE EASTENDERS OMNIBUS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom