Florence + the Machine - Dance Fever, King + My Love (plus further floorfillers)

Jark

User
she's far from a Moopy favourite but this is a comeback i'm very curious about.

buzz single King out this week or next and album 5 (with a "long, 80s inspired" title...) out in May.

I didn't rate High as Hope much but the previous two have many fantastic songs. I hope she's going a bit bigger again with her sound.

I wouldn’t say I’m a fan, but she has some songs I really like (Ship to Wreck, Hunger, Dog Days Are Over, all her collabs with Calvin Harris) so I’m curious about this

I'm on board. Even though I wasn't impressed by the last album at all. Album 3 had some moments, but the first 2 albums remain fabulous. Ceremonials is actually my favourite.

I'm another who's more a fan of the first two albums, but I'll always be interested to hear what she's doing.

There’s always a few good tracks on each album so I’m down to give this a shot.

FLO TOP TEN

01 St. Jude
02 What Kind of Man
03 Too Much is Never Enough
04 Dog Days Are Over / Shake it Out
05 Ship to Wreck
06 Delilah
07 Sky Full of Song
08 Heartlines
09 No Light, No Light
10 South London Forever

bubbling under: You've Got the Love, Seven Devils, How Big How Blue How Beautiful, Spectrum (Calvin Harris remix), Sweet Nothing (with Calvin Harris)

I love Ceremonials and that's about it... "Breaking Down" is a slept on classic. "Shake it Out" is probably my favorite, along with basic old "Spectrum (Calvin Harris remix)".

NOBODY mentioning Only If For A Night and Never Let Me Go - those and Shake It Out are my holy trinity from Ceremonials.

I'm not a mega-fan, but I do dip in and observe - as others have said above, there is good stuff there if you are able to sift through the albums.

I think her being lazily labelled as "the new Kate Bush" (or various different iterations of that phrase) in the music press has always been a bit STRANGE. I see fka twigs FAR more as the Kate Bush successor if a comparison MUST BE MADE.

I think this is my favourite. I was shocked to discover it was just a Ceremonials bonus track as it immediately stood out to me. Single worthy for sure IMO.

I was hoping the comeback would be a bit more of a pop bop but she seems comfortable in her arthouse-leaning lane a la the last 2 albums… that all being said I do like the sound of it, and might be a grower

It’s reminding me of something / someone else too but can’t place it yet

i was absolutely struck by king - thought the opening is very strong both musically and thematically it's perfectly aligned with my current headspace and i love her vocals and their understated drawls. and just as it gets going it descends into that awkward, earnest wailing and it's dead. she really should've stopped at the three-minute mark.

The dancefloor, Flo fought for:

p011jh0g.jpg

OK "King" is amazing.

Just when you think you have it figured out
Something new begins to take
What strange claws are these scratching at my skin?
I never knew my healer w
ould be coming from within

I am no mother
I am no brother

I AM KING.

third song and alleged proper lead single My Love coming TOMORROW.

this is interesting

press release about the album - the "dancing fever" theory was correct :o

Just before the pandemic Florence had become fascinated by choreomania, a Renaissance phenomenon in which groups of people—sometimes thousands—danced wildly to the point of exhaustion, collapse and death. The imagery resonated with Florence, who had been touring nonstop for more than a decade, and in lockdown felt oddly prescient.
The image and concept of dance, and choreomania, remained central as Florence wove her own experiences of dance—a discipline she turned to in the early days of sobriety—with the folkloric elements of a moral panic from the Middle Ages. In recent times of torpor and confinement, dance offered propulsion, energy and a way of looking at music more choreographically.
Starting, as ever, armed with a notebook of poems and ideas, Florence had just arrived to New York in March 2020 to begin recording when Covid-19 forced a retreat to London. Holed up at home, the songs began to transform, with nods to dance, folk, ‘70s Iggy Pop, longing-for-the-road folk tracks a la Lucinda Williams or Emmylou Harris and more, ultimately arriving somewhere that Florence describes as “Nick Cave at the club.” Lyrically, she took inspiration from the tragic heroines of pre-Raphaelite art, the gothic fiction of Carmen Maria Machado and Julia Armfield, the visceral wave of folk horror film from The Wicker Man and The Witch to Midsommar.
Dance Fever is an album that sees Florence at the peak of her powers, coming into a fully realized self-knowledge, poking sly fun at her own self-created persona, playing with ideas of identity, masculinity and femininity, redemption and celebration.

My Love is very good, much more like it than that interlude thing. Can't wait to hear Flo coming into a fully realized self-knowledge, poking sly fun at her own self-created persona :D

Reactions: RJN
My Love is excellent! One of the best things she’s ever done imo. I’d even go so far as to call it danceable

I really want a 9 minute Morales remix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom