Eurovision 2024: Malmö Arena

We get a 6 minute break to recover from our Melodifestivalen meltdown before Portugal begins :)

GIO2Z7xaEAAQnCJ

It’s been some time since I watched a Festival da Canção, do they still call every single town and hamlet in Portugal to give its own set of points (that ultimately get turned into one set of 1-12 jury points anyway)?

I think the last/only time I watched was in 2019 as I was far too invested in Conan winning. At least it paid off :disco:

It wouldn't be so bad if voting was universally app based and you can change it as the show is broadcast, but if it is remaining as it did last year then I object

"And you won’t have to wait for the interval to see the songs – the three additional performances in each Semi-Final will be slotted in between the competing countries’ acts."

Huh, how very Italy/San Marino of them!

This is ridiculous - didn’t they try it before and quickly scrap it?

Yes I think they tried it and ditched it after the data showed it didn't have any positive impact on songs performing at the start, and most people continued to wait until after all songs were performed before voting.

This is ridiculous - didn’t they try it before and quickly scrap it?
I feel like the disadvantage that songs early in the show have has become even more pronounced in recent years, so it's not a bad way of at least attempting to counter that.

Plus if the voting is open from the start, there's no need to keep it open for a whole 45 minutes during the interval, so it might also be a way for SVT to meet their aim of bringing the running time down.

Also we're in a very different climate to 2010/2011 - people are much more used to being able to engage straight away.

* Big 5 + Sweden will perform in full during the semi finals.
I also approve of this (from an entirely selfish point of view as I wasn't going to get to see Olly live otherwise).
"And you won’t have to wait for the interval to see the songs – the three additional performances in each Semi-Final will be slotted in between the competing countries’ acts."
This is weird though.

On further reading, it appears the voting will begin at the start of the show only applies to the Final for now. So presumably voting for Semi-Finals won't be voted on until after the last act in each semi-final has performed.

“There’ll be another big change for Malmö 2024 announced soon….but some things are staying the same.”

They’ve already said the voting won’t change so I wonder what this could be.

“There’ll be another big change for Malmö 2024 announced soon….but some things are staying the same.”

They’ve already said the voting won’t change so I wonder what this could be.
This fills me with dread.

What aspect of Melodifestivalen hasn't been incorporated into the main contest yet? It's probably that.

This fills me with dread.

What aspect of Melodifestivalen hasn't been incorporated into the main contest yet? It's probably that.

The most obvious would be the demographic breakdown - but that would only be feasible if everybody was voting via app.

That or - what is more likely - they're finally pulling the trigger on fully allowing pre-recorded backing vocals.

The most obvious would be the demographic breakdown - but that would only be feasible if everybody was voting via app.

That or - what is more likely - they're finally pulling the trigger on fully allowing pre-recorded backing vocals.
It could be something around app voting in fairness - maybe the mechanism will be a bit like Melodifestivalen.

Not sure about pre-recorded backing vocals as that would only be a minor tweak rather than a new development. Maybe more people allowed on stage though…

I wonder if the Big 5/hosts performing in the semis is down to the low participating numbers? It’d be interesting to see if they’d keep the same system once participation numbers rise again.

Also, having them sing between competing entries is surely going to confuse the casual viewer? :D

I wonder if the Big 5/hosts performing in the semis is down to the low participating numbers? It’d be interesting to see if they’d keep the same system once participation numbers rise again.

Also, having them sing between competing entries is surely going to confuse the casual viewer? :D
Yes it's not a change that's particularly friendly to dimbo dumbos.

I’d hardly have thought it’d be worth being touted as a BIG CHANGE though.

I think increasing the number of people allowed on stage is the most likely change. It’s been the norm for many NFs for a number of years and it is only a matter of time before it comes to Eurovision.

If it leads to more highly choreographed troupes and instrumental dance breaks, I'm here for it.

Although it might be a bit of an odd change when countries are complaining about costs. I think that has usually been cited as reason for keeping the number at six.

I think increasing the number of people allowed on stage is the most likely change. It’s been the norm for many NFs for a number of years and it is only a matter of time before it comes to Eurovision.
Especially if you just selected an act with two singers, four energetic dancers, and some backing vocalists as well.

Obviously a coincidence as they draw the host randomly, but watch the conspiracy theories roll in...

If it leads to more highly choreographed troupes and instrumental dance breaks, I'm here for it.

Although it might be a bit of an odd change when countries are complaining about costs. I think that has usually been cited as reason for keeping the number at six.
They should really just do what Melfest does anyway and hire a few house dancers each year that can fluff up the numbers for any particularly hard up delegations if need be.

They should really just do what Melfest does anyway and hire a few house dancers each year that can fluff up the numbers for any particularly hard up delegations if need be.
We could have had some awful interpretative dance behind Barbara Pravi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom