Corrie 2024

OMG classic Corrie is up to 2004, Tracy is about to give birth to Amy and Hayley has just announced Tracy and Roy are married :D

Ken: Tracy and Roy are married?!
Deirdre: She'd never marry Roy in a million years!
Blanche: Not unless she had about 10 shotguns to her head! She can't stand the man, he makes her skin crawl :D:D:D

It's astonishing how much better the quality of the show was back then compared to now in every aspect. Blanche was incredible

Yes, the Toyah plot is a total retcon and the fans are up in arms.

The rape storyline itself was criticised at the time (it was promoted as a "whodunnit"), so why they want to rake that up unnecessarily is odd for a start. However, in the aftermath, it was explicitly stated that Toyah had a sexual health screen and was given the morning-after pill. The character didn't leave until well over a year after the storyline, so to suggest any of what is being touted (SPOILERS) could have happened is far-fetched.

Whether the "average" viewer would know, I'm not so convinced. But it all just seems such a crass storyline to play out anyway. There's no point to any of it.

Yes it's really bizarre that they're harking back to what was ultimately a flop storyline at the time? I could understand if it were considered a GREATEST HIT, but it wasn't. And fancy thinking "Let's add a dead baby to it! That always goes down well in a soap!"

*laughs in Ronnie Mitchell*

I found this, about how Corrie is proper shit right now, an interesting read earlier this week:

It's absolute dross, not helped by the lack of any build up. They showed like one 10 minute convo with a rando in a hotel bar, and suddenly Leanne's become an automaton repeating "reality coding" ad nauseum.

There's poor and inconsistent pacing all over the place. Carla's annoying nephew had two scenes with Lauren, and now we're acting like he's lost the love of his life. Steve's expected to start dating a week after his wife left him. Glenda's PTSD from the robbery lasted one episode.

On the other end of the speed spectrum, Yasmeen and Stu seem to be caught in a time warp, repeating the same scene in the restaurant of "Eliza, Germany, Eliza" for months on end. And Kirk's still waiting for his first story 25 years after joining the cast.

I'm not sure why this is still rating top of the soaps. It easily has the worst writing of them all. Why am I watching it? SADISM

I would guess that is getting the majority of its viewers are from over 60s who have been watching the show for decades. I think you would be hard pressed to find many viewers under the age of 30. Mind you, I don’t think many young people watch soaps at all these days.

With regards to the stories and inconsistencies, I don’t think the majority of viewers really care, and are only looking for half an hour of an escapism each evening. However, if the viewing figures continue to fall at the same rate as they are at the moment, they’ll be lucky to be around at all in 10 years. I would even suspect that a lot of the fall in viewing figures is due to people dying off.

With regards to the stories and inconsistencies, I don’t think the majority of viewers really care, and are only looking for half an hour of an escapism each evening.

I think this is it, essentially.

I completely see why actual Coronation Street fans are aghast at what's currently happening. To me, the show currently comes across as a bad parody of itself all too often. But the ratings speak volumes: it's seen by more people than its rivals (regardless of how much the audience is actually engaging with the content).

Yes, the year-on-year ratings are sliding. But look at the sheer effort EastEnders has put in during the last 18 months...just to stay lagging in third place, even though they have a better end product and, I'd imagine, much higher audience satisfaction. From ITV's perspective, there's no impetus to change because what they're doing is working in the short-term. I think they will coast for as long as they can get away with.

18 months ago, EastEnders was hovering around the mid three millions. Now, it's back there, after growing last year to a peak at Christmas, then declining and now hopefully stabilising again. From a quick look over a few week period, Coronation Street has lost around half a million over that time, Emmerdale perhaps a quarter of a million or a little more.

I don't doubt that without the effort Slave refers to, EastEnders would have carried on declining and we'd be in the 2.5m - 3m range now, so to that extent it's been worth it, I suppose, but it does seem like a lot of work for ultimately an extra 0.5m - 1m viewers. Still, it's probably done enough to avoid conversations around the show continuing and the licence fee financing it, if it was regularly that low in the ratings and widely perceived as not very good at all.

Coronation Street is awful but I do still watch if I’m at home. Usually just through habit and as background noise unless something really catches my attention but then I probably do fall in to the typical older viewer age bracket these days. :(

The current ROY CROPPER storyline with him BANGED UP does almost throw back to the glory days of him waking up in bed with Tracy Barlow and thinking he fathered Amy. ALMOST.

On the subject of Tracy Barlow she used to be fantastically written with an acid tongue almost akin to her amazing Grandmother Blanche but she is also pretty awful now. Sack the writers, sack the current producer. Actually, bring back BRIAN PARK to cull them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom