TV Ratings 2023

Be interesting to see the figures for this after a week.

Really glad it’s had an impact!

Fantastic. I am so pleased that this is doing so well and making more people aware of this incredible injustice. The whole drama is enthralling, and infuriating but really well done, and phenomenally acted out.

I'm only a couple of episodes in and I agree a lot of the acting is very good, though the husband of Sam in episode 2 was less than great. It is quite a stressful watch. She hasn't been in it that much so far, but Katherine Kelly is very good at being a dreadful person.

ANYWAYS,

What do we think The Traitors will open with tomorrow evening?

I am going 7 million live viewers.

OK, I was a bit TOO over enthusiastic but still decent figures, even if somewhat unremarkable.

Super TV made a tweet based on the above but surely that’s not correct?

That is REALLY IMPRESSIVE and well deserved.
I thought it was gonna be a big old flop, were the general public going to watch a drama about an IT issue at the post office? It’s really become a talking point though!

Jake Kanter should be a reputable source. I'd trust him over that Super TV account, which I think only reposts stuff from other sources. I guess we'll find out next week when Barb should report it.

I thought it was gonna be a big old flop, were the general public going to watch a drama about an IT issue at the post office? It’s really become a talking point though!

I loosely followed the story but didn’t really know the extent of it all. When I saw it was going to be a new drama on ITV I made sure I watched it and am so glad I did. I must say I find it utterly REPULSIVE that the media are only really picking up on it now after it was a hit tv programme and because the public are now voicing their thoughts on it. 20 years those people have lost of their lives and nobody could really give a shit but then that is the the justice system in the UK for you.

I've seen a fair bit about it as well. And why does it 'feel heartland' BBC or ITV? Haven't there been several Harlan Coben adaptations, and all have been on Netflix?

I've seen a fair bit about it as well. And why does it 'feel heartland' BBC or ITV? Haven't there been several Harlan Coben adaptations, and all have been on Netflix?
It’s a Channel 5 drama at best anyway!

December 25 - 31

01 New Year's Eve Fireworks 11.418m
02 Call The Midwife 7.569m
03 Doctor Who 7.487m
04 The King (BBC only) 6.746m
05 Ghosts 6.616m
06 Death In Paradise 6.609m
07 Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special 6.596m
08 Murder Is Easy 6.256m
09 Rick Astley Rocks New Year's Eve 5.751m
10 Vera 5.709m
11 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 5.096m
12 Film: Tabby McTat 4.892m
13 Charles III: The Coronation Year 4.822m
14 The 1% Club 4.782m
15 EastEnders 4.770m
16 Coronation Street 4.661m
17 The Masked Singer 4.552m
18 The Graham Norton Show 4.209m
19 Mrs Brown's Boys 4.066m
20 Film: Toy Story 4 4.021m

21 Emmerdale 4.020m

Last edited:
EastEnders beat Coronation Street thanks to that Christmas Day episode, which ended up with 5.451m. The episodes throughout the week fell every day through to Friday, although that low of 4.220m is still higher than its best episode gets most weeks, so it will be interesting to see if it holds.

I suspect it may fall back behind Coronation Street next week, but will remain ahead of Emmerdale. Emmerdale's figure was sabotaged by the episode on NYE which was broadcast earlier than usual.

EastEnders beat Coronation Street thanks to that Christmas Day episode, which ended up with 5.451m. The episodes throughout the week fell every day through to Friday, although that low of 4.220m is still higher than its best episode gets most weeks, so it will be interesting to see if it holds.

I suspect it may fall back behind Coronation Street next week, but will remain ahead of Emmerdale. Emmerdale's figure was sabotaged by the episode on NYE which was broadcast earlier than usual.

A fantastic figure for the EE Christmas Fay episode. A big increase on its usual day to day figures but it was an AMAZING episode.

I'm slightly confused by Nolly not appearing in the Top 50 at all. And #50 had 3.174m, so it had fewer viewers than that, which surprises me. Thinkbox, which lists top 50s for commercial channels hasn't yet been updated, so I'll keep an eye out there. But Thinkbox doesn't include pre-broadcast viewing.

There's no chance in hell that Fool Me Once, a generic thriller starring Michelle Keegan, has become UK television's most watched drama since - what - Vigil s1, or Line Of Duty? i.e. big shows that everyone had access to, airing in a pandemic when we couldn't go outside. Expect a retraction within 24 hours :disco:

I'd not be surprised if Mr Bates Vs The Post Office gets to the 11-12 million mark though, albeit over the month

Oh now here we are -

Still a good figure. Richard Armitage doesn't even get his cock out in this one, right?

When you consider Netflix has around 17m subscribers, that's a huge reported audience. Obviously that's number of subscribers and not potential viewers, but think about how many people have access to BBC or ITV and no dramas get even close to 12.3m on 7 day viewing. The finale of Vigil S1 had 10.63m.

I loosely followed the story but didn’t really know the extent of it all. When I saw it was going to be a new drama on ITV I made sure I watched it and am so glad I did. I must say I find it utterly REPULSIVE that the media are only really picking up on it now after it was a hit tv programme and because the public are now voicing their thoughts on it. 20 years those people have lost of their lives and nobody could really give a shit but then that is the the justice system in the UK for you.

The alleged 6.9m who got to the end of Fool Me Once deserve a standing-o

A right old chore that I’m still going with

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

I tried one of the Harlan Coben ones a few years back and didn't think much of it. I think it was the one before the one Jennifer Saunders was in, because I'd normally watch something with her in it, but I couldn't get excited enough to watch it.

It is a bit daft - but fully understandable - how we need things to be turned into entertainment for us to realise we actually do care about them.

Like... I knew there was a 'Post Office scandal', but was I actually reading anything about it, or watching the Panorama? No I was not. There's even a whole 21-part BBC podcast series about it from three and a half years ago: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m000jf7j

But put Monica Dolan in a wig to act it out for me and I AM THERE :disco:

The Pembrokeshire Murders got just under 11m for ITV in January 2021. Wasn't the UK in lockdown then?

6.3m would still be huge for Netflix though - I don't think I've posted a figure that high in one week for them since they started reporting to BARB in 2022.

Happy Valley would be the only other in quite some time to hit those heights? I think Trigger Point may have neared 9 million but other than that would it be going back to Line Of Duty? The Tourist was massive too, wasn’t it?

I was wondering if they were going to do this. I imagine it’s been a much needed driver to get people to ITV X too.

Also I was thinking how this would have played out pre-streaming. Shown once to a larger audience and largely forgotten about?

Last edited:
Does anybody have figures for how Nolly did when ITV broadcast it over Christmas (having made it available on ITVX earlier in the year). It felt like it was shoved in as season filler but would be interesting to know.

Does anybody have figures for how Nolly did when ITV broadcast it over Christmas (having made it available on ITVX earlier in the year). It felt like it was shoved in as season filler but would be interesting to know.
Not very well, in short.

1.3m for the first episode, 1.101 for the second, and 1.146m for the third. Plus 0.869m for The Real Nolly documentary.

That's from Thinkbox, so it excludes platform viewing and also excludes pre-broadcast viewing - so wouldn't include the viewing from ITVX when it dropped there.

The BARB website does include pre-broadcast viewing (and platform) so I was expecting it to show there, but didn't. BARB doesn't split by commercial channel like Thinkbox does though, so all I can say is that with pre-broadcast viewing, its audience was smaller than the overall #50 show, which was Big Fat Quiz with 3.174m.

I wonder how many more viewers Mr Bates vs The Post Office will realistically get? 9.1 million viewers watched so far, it should easily do 10 million but will it surpass Happy Valley’s 11 million?

I wonder how many more viewers Mr Bates vs The Post Office will realistically get? 9.1 million viewers watched so far, it should easily do 10 million but will it surpass Happy Valley’s 11 million?
Without doubt I'd have thought. It's still getting significant word of mouth, and people who had little to no idea of it (and little interest in news generally) have it all nicely packaged into a TV drama. Even without the repeats I'd expect to see it pass 11m. I don't think 15m is out of the question.

The good thing is ITV seem only too pleased to shout about its success (as well they should), so we ought to find out.

Not very well, in short.

1.3m for the first episode, 1.101 for the second, and 1.146m for the third. Plus 0.869m for The Real Nolly documentary.

That's from Thinkbox, so it excludes platform viewing and also excludes pre-broadcast viewing - so wouldn't include the viewing from ITVX when it dropped there.

The BARB website does include pre-broadcast viewing (and platform) so I was expecting it to show there, but didn't. BARB doesn't split by commercial channel like Thinkbox does though, so all I can say is that with pre-broadcast viewing, its audience was smaller than the overall #50 show, which was Big Fat Quiz with 3.174m.
Thanks. That’s a shame it didn’t find a bigger audience on ITV as it really was good (but perhaps justifies the decision to premiere it on ITVX in the first place).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom