The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon Prime)

Is this a reboot? A sequel? A prequel?

I hope they do the decent thing and film this in the green and rolling hills of The Black Country, as J R R Tolkein would have wanted, and not New Zealand.

ok that teaser made me a little wet. it's ALREADY better than Wheel of Time

I hope they do the decent thing and film this in the green and rolling hills of The Black Country, as J R R Tolkein would have wanted, and not New Zealand.

I believe it’s set in the second age? So an origin for Sauron (my LotR knowledge is minimal).

They shot in New Zealand and then moved the production to Ireland.

I believe at least some of it has been filmed in Scotland :o :scotland: But probably all over the place as well. It's set thousands of years before the trilogy, adapting/expanding on stuff from the Silmarillion.

Not sure quite why I feel the need to barge in and slate it every time :disco:

I mean I'm excited BY DEFAULT. I love most LoTR things.

Meanwhile, we better see some cameo-ish appearances from Cate, Liv and Hugo.

OK well this LOOKS marvellous. gorgeous in fact. let's hope the story is there too!

Shouldn't the dwarven Princess have a BEARD?

Fuck your human-normative gender roles.

I'm really curious to see whether this or GoT: House of the Dragon will take off. I feel like one of them might become buzzy, and I'd be more tempted to go with this one... although both look potentially really good indeed. my fantasy quim is quivering.

Reactions: GNL
I'm really curious to see whether this or GoT: House of the Dragon will take off. I feel like one of them might become buzzy, and I'd be more tempted to go with this one... although both look potentially really good indeed. my fantasy quim is quivering.

i think they’re sufficiently different, this is high fantasy with dozens of characters in different places. HotD is a much smaller story (even compared to GoT), there won’t be as much jumping around also nothing supernatural, it’s a story about succession.

I think HBO is much better at presenting their shows as prestige, Amazon imo is not the best at marketing.

On the other hand does anybody care about Game of Thrones any more? Talk about poisoning your legacy.

On the other hand does anybody care about Game of Thrones any more? Talk about poisoning your legacy.

Yeah regardless of what the you see on the internet the show is still pretty popular

Yeah, I feel the saturation points for both are vastly different, at least as far as I'm concerned. Plus there's still the sour aftertaste from the ghastly final GoT season. But it does hold a huge cult status with "tv" and "tv show" casuals. It's almost the Friends of its decade in terms of crossing over and unifying so many different viewers.

Much more intrigued by the LOTR Prime show, really like the look of the trailer.

Yeah regardless of what the you see on the internet the show is still pretty popular
hmmm. a lot of the GoT fans I know IRL either don't seem aware House of the Dragon is coming, or are aware but don't give a shit. almost everyone is so turned off by the sour note the show ended on. I really don't think a spin off is an automatic hit even if it's good.

hmmm. a lot of the GoT fans I know IRL either don't seem aware House of the Dragon is coming, or are aware but don't give a shit. almost everyone is so turned off by the sour note the show ended on. I really don't think a spin off is an automatic hit even if it's good.

Is that based on the old trusted Cwej book of stats?

My statement was based on this article

GoT is going to be beyond massive and I’m surprised anyone would think otherwise.

At one point, Game Of Thrones was being watched by more people than Star Wars. TV shows never ever compete with film franchises. It was a once in a lifetime event that will possible never be repeated.

The sequels and prequels won’t be as big but they’ll be HBO’s franchise anchor for the next decade at least.

I will be tuning in to watch because it feels like an event, but also because I'm due to meet up with the ex who I was in a relationship with when the Jackson films were released and he's bound to go on about it at great length. At least I'll have an inkling of what he's talking about. I think the STOP FUCKING HATE critic gave it one star, so it MUST be fabulous.

I've read that it's real but it's not actually the opening titles? It looks so CHEAP.

I feel like they should MAKE IT the actual opening titles now. It's what the people expect. It's what the people want.

Reactions: COB
It’s not the opening title

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom