The By-elections Thread - 2019-2024 edition

I'm definitely more Pompey around my local friends, though it's often more vocabulary than accent. There's a Portsmouth language with loads of words which outsiders wouldn't necessarily understand and I use them frequently. "Ease up, din, don't cop about it you squinny" is a phrase I would happily use with certain people but not with others!

Ron Jr has a fairly similar accent to my mongrel multicity bastardised East Mids twang, but he gets 200% more Manc when he's pissed off. Its well funny.

I'm definitely more Pompey around my local friends, though it's often more vocabulary than accent. There's a Portsmouth language with loads of words which outsiders wouldn't necessarily understand and I use them frequently. "Ease up, din, don't cop about it you squinny" is a phrase I would happily use with certain people but not with others!
What does that mean? “Don’t worry about it”?

Are you asking what "don't worry about it" means?

I mean that's what you said, but I'm left confused.
I’m asking what “Ease up, din, don't cop about it you squinny” means. My guess was that it means “don’t worry about it”

Shopping in my home town with Iguana the other day he was HORRIFIED when I pronounced the H in H&M. I don't normally, just being there brought it out in me!

• Wow
Reactions: COB
What does that mean? “Don’t worry about it”?

Stop it you idiot. Don’t get annoyed and whine about it.

Totally understandable in Pompey speak, not at all in actual English :D

• Love
Reactions: RJN
“Din” being short for “Dinlo”, meaning “fool” or “idiot” is one of my favourite words ever. Also “she got all dinny about it”- she was wound up and stupid in an annoying way. :D

IMG_0678.jpeg

And now George Galloway is favourite

A local Labour insider said that some activists will seriously consider throwing their support behind Simon Danczuk, the disgraced former Labour MP for Rochdale who was suspended from the party after sending inappropriate messages to a teenager.

What a DELIGHTFUL line up :ToneNervous:

Which would mean the Tories have broken the record for most seats lost in a single parliament.

Reform reported to be in double figures.

Excellent results.

Also someone please assassinate Richard Tice before Reform becomes an actual threat.

Is being one of THE GAYS a REQUIREMENT to stand as a male Labour candidate these days?

Last edited:
Yes I didn’t realise Kingswood’s candidate was gay. Good for him! Hopefully not another foul old Wes Streeting type though…

The dislike for Wes Streeting is a bit of a blind spot for me. What's the deal?

Wes Streeting is many things, but he isn't a transphobe. Certainly hasn't given them the support he bloody ought to though. (which is testament to what's really the biggest fucking problem with him)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom