Rina Sawayama - Hold the Girl

Honestly she needs to represent us at Eurovision. She's fucking win reading the telephone book* out.

*if they still exist?
Nail on head (not sure about the Phone Book). It would be a brilliant platform for her.

Parts of this are actually really similar to the (relatively literal to be fair) video treatment for Kate Bush's Get Out of My House that I've had in my head for years :D

Oh I love the video! It embodies everything I was expecting from it. But yes the song is slightly better than the video.

It's great apart from the dance troupe thing in the basement. I think they could have done more with the concept there than going for the slightly obvious route.
Otherwise it's fab.

Song: 11/10

Video: The scene/action in the basement kinda ruins it for me because everything else is so atmospheric. 8/10

It's great apart from the dance troupe thing in the basement. I think they could have done more with the concept there than going for the slightly obvious route.
Otherwise it's fab.

I genuinely did not read this before I posted.

I feared for Rina after her link up with Elton. I need not have worried.

Reactions: COB
it really is a fantastic TREAT of a pop song. the melodies just soar. I feel it might be her best song actually (but I don't love Rina so)

I love Hold The Girl and This Hell (and both with more than a dash of classic Gaga) but find her a bit inconsistent generally.

This album sounds like it will be a hotch-potch:

Still love her though.

It's more in the vein of Catch Me In The Air. It's fine but I want more from her.

Sounds like it should be performed by Sinead Quinn.

Which is obviously a good thing.

Reactions: COB
It's growing on me a lot. Her self-help lyrics are actually quite nice.

Interview with the BBC. Surprised she felt she needed clearance for This Hell from Abba. I can see the similarity I guess, but it doesn't feel THAT close to me.

She's doing a signing here in a few weeks. Tempted to see if I can rejiggle work things and pop along in my lunch break. And no doubt be old enough to be the father of 90% of the queue, so perhaps not.

Really excited for this album though. I love how she manages to tackle and blend genres and pull all of them off.

Interview with the BBC. Surprised she felt she needed clearance for This Hell from Abba. I can see the similarity I guess, but it doesn't feel THAT close to me.

She's doing a signing here in a few weeks. Tempted to see if I can rejiggle work things and pop along in my lunch break. And no doubt be old enough to be the father of 90% of the queue, so perhaps not.

Really excited for this album though. I love how she manages to tackle and blend genres and pull all of them off.

This is my concern about watching her live. She's in her 30s at least so it wouldn't feel so bad (for me at least).

This is my concern about watching her live. She's in her 30s at least so it wouldn't feel so bad (for me at least).
I didn't feel particularly old when I saw her live. It certainly wasn't a CRECHE

The devastation I will feel if this album doesn’t blow up in some way…

Hurricanes is great. the last 3 singles all hit for me. album out tomorrow!

Oh thank HEAVENS for something not postponed out of respect for the Queen! Fuck what they did to Lady Di!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom