Mamma Mia! I Have a Dream

They've just had a massive open call for this in the West End - those poor people could now be applying to this instead :D

Given the hard partying reputation of the cast of this show, they should make everyone do the show after a 12 hour whizz around the bars of Soho.

They are apparently going with Mamma Mia! I Have A Dream as the show name, with Zoe Ball in advanced talks to host according to The S*n.

I trust this will be Saturday night primetime and @Rita will be ALL OVER IT :disco:

Is there a particular reason for this? Usually they do it for an upcoming revival of a show, but Mamma Mia never left. Is this a sign that ticket sales are slow?

Is there a particular reason for this? Usually they do it for an upcoming revival of a show, but Mamma Mia never left. Is this a sign that ticket sales are slow?
Voyage possibly took a bit of their sales.

However, a primetime talent competition is probably just another way to saturate the market with ABBA. Good for ITV, ABBA and Mamma Mia.

I don't really understand it either. And it can hardly be like anyone doesn't know it's on. I think it's been on at the Novello longer now than any of its previous homes. I think that's one of the smaller West End theatres, isn't it?

It's the 25th anniversary of the musical next year (and the 50th anniversary of the ESC win the same day), so I'm sure everything will be ramping up for maximum hype. I don't know if the show is in any danger, but they absolutely won't want it to close before then and potentially be seen to damage the Abba brand.

Zoe Ball apparently mentioned on her show last week that she was meeting with Bjorn, and people speculated it was about this show, which i think is very likely the case. I doubt he'll feature every week on the show, but can imagine he may for the final, and perhaps with some pre-records before. He's clearly incredibly shrewd.

Last edited:
I see Judy Craymer, the producer of the musical and films is listed in all the promo. I suspect that we'll see less of Bjorn if that is the case.

Hopefully it will be like I'd Do Anything (which also gave us Samantha Barks) where we got the drama of Lloyd-Webber and Cameron Mackintosh desperately wanting Jessie Buckley, but the public choosing Jodie Prenger.

I’d totally forgot about Jodie Prenger

I had no idea she’d joined Coronation Street as one of the most Corrie names I’ve ever heard

Glenda Shuttleworth

IMG_3581.jpeg

Only just picking up on the fact that this show is casting the characters of Sophie and Sky.

Sophie fair enough - she has a few solos, verses in other songs, and she's on stage an awful lot.

But Sky? He only has LAYLOM shared with Sophie and is effectively ensemble otherwise.

Launching Sunday 22nd October at 6pm.

Obviously (and quite sensibly) running scared of Strictly on Saturday, and I'm guessing it probably will avoid the result show on the Sunday. It'll probably be against Countryfile.

They should pop it on before Strictly on a Saturday and Sunday - I always have my din dins before and want something to watch (provided I'm in of course). Otherwise, bring this on, I'm looking forward to it.

Anyone watching?

The contestants all seem quite unbearable. Hopefully they'll settle down.

Anyone watching?

The contestants all seem quite unbearable. Hopefully they'll settle down.
It's up against Planet Earth, and I'm at my mother's. No contest.

I'm interested to see what, if anything, it does for Abba Gold, which has hovered between #18 and #23 for the last 4 or 5 months.

Samantha Barks is giving schoolmarm, head judge vibes. More of Jessie pissing about with Alan is needed.

They're all being very positive about everything.

Only just picking up on the fact that this show is casting the characters of Sophie and Sky.

Sophie fair enough - she has a few solos, verses in other songs, and she's on stage an awful lot.

But Sky? He only has LAYLOM shared with Sophie and is effectively ensemble otherwise.

I assume it's less to do with his importance within the show and more to do with ITV knowing their target audience won't watch something like this without PLENTIFUL ABS.

Most of the boys were not so great. Waterloo was not a good draw but it was pretty horrible.

They really shouldn't bother with any of the Skys singing, and just make them parade around in speedos and dance a bit every week.

1.6m in the overnights - looks like being up against Planet Earth III really hurt it.

Let's see how many brave ITVX for it.

That is rough, especially for an opening episode. I'm not sure it is the kind of thing that will do too well on catch up either.

To be honest I found it hard work as well. I think I'm Mamma Mia-ed out.

And I think it would work better in a studio (or theatre) setting.

I gave it a go but I really couldn't stomach it so switched off after the second perf.

Please alert me if any of them get the opportunity to OVER-EMOTE to 'King Kong Song' in a future episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom