Local news in non-rioting places

Did a shallow dive into this. I was most amused to see the Gimp Man of Essex (who I've never seen, despite him seemingly living in the same town) saying that the Somerset Gimp was bringing gimpdom into disrepute.

NO GIMP RIGHTS!

In years to come we'll probably talk fondly of the Great British Gimp War of 2023.

BBC News - Repair plan for Lincoln's historic Glory Hole footpath submitted
1000008698.jpg

I couldn’t care about a Banksy being stolen, I am sure this man will be tracked down, but it’s the story of the gormless onlookers just standing idly by as it happened that gets me.

This is sending me a little bit. Essex News trying to claim Taylor's song The Black Dog because the pub (which is in Vauxhall!) happens OWNED by someone from "the Essex borders".

The place in question? Walthamstow. :D

Nice try local rag!

This is sending me a little bit. Essex News trying to claim Taylor's song The Black Dog because the pub (which is in Vauxhall!) happens OWNED by someone from "the Essex borders".

The place in question? Walthamstow. :D

Nice try local rag!

IMG_2813.jpeg

I've done some research (30 seconds on Wikipedia) and my original point and why I found it funny is actually somewhat watered down by the truth.

I had thought that Walthamstow was always inarguably London, unlike (for example) Romford, which is a different story because it was once Essex then was absorbed into Greater London in the 60s, with the postcode, postal address (and many peoples general loyalty) remaining Essex.

Turns out Walthamstow does actually have a similar history! I didn't realise!

Wait no, I think I was right in the first place

Walthamstow was a civil parish, originally part of the Becontree Hundred of Essex. As part of the suburban growth of London, the town expanded rapidly in the 19th century, becoming part of the urban area of the city. It has formed part of the Metropolitan Police District since 1840, and the London postal district since its inception in 1856. The parish became a local board district in 1873, an urban district in 1894 and a municipal borough in 1929. Following reform of local government in London in 1965, it merged with the municipal boroughs of Chingford and Leyton to form the new Waltham Forest local authority district, becoming part of Greater London.

So confusing!! :hostage:

Walthamstow (and Chingford and Leyton) were all in Essex until 1965. Even West Ham and East Ham were part of Essex until 1965.

That screengrab was actually about Romford!

Again after about 30 seconds of Wikipedia ‘research’ I can conclude it is the most evil of places in the UK due to the spawning of Jessie J, Jo O’Meara and Jesy Nelson.

Proe were trying to make Walthamstow happen for YEARS, but now have thankfully appear to have just GIVEN UP.

Walthamstow (and Chingford and Leyton) were all in Essex until 1965. Even West Ham and East Ham were part of Essex until 1965.
But part of the postcode area of London unlike Romford, so they probably feel more "London". Or at least they do to Romfordianites like myself and Jessie J.

I don't know, I'm sorry I brought it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom