Leona Lewis - Better In Time

Gonna smile cause I deserve too-oo-oo

• Total voters
True story: a guy I was dating once sent me the YouTube link to this song because I was struggling with low mood. He didn’t say anything else, just sent me this.

Ultimately I think it’s a reliable bop from personality vacuum Leona. 7/10

I think it's the definition of the famous Moopy triumvirate, bright breezy and relistenable.

Yeah it’s good. The verses are really rather good, the rest fine but plodding.

True story: a guy I was dating once sent me the YouTube link to this song because I was struggling with low mood. He didn’t say anything else, just sent me this.

Ultimately I think it’s a reliable bop from personality vacuum Leona. 7/10

I've only just seen you are back. Definitely boosting the charge of my 10 verdict for this song :disco:

I respect it due to the fact that if it didn’t exist, neither would this fabulous Almighty cover version.

I like it. But it's not in my Leona top ten or twenty for that matter. There's something a bit DRAB about it.

She has twenty songs? :o
EASY

(The Top 9 are all 11/10 moments)

1. Come Alive
2. Run
3. Fireflies
4. Glassheart
5. Colourblind
6. Broken
7. Can't Breathe
8. Bleeding Love
9. Alive
10. One More Sleep
11. I Got You (Echo)
12. Favourite Scar
13. Trouble
14. Take a Bow
15. Naked
16. Outta My Head
17. Whatever it Takes
18. I Am
19. Don't Let Me Down
20. Brave

(21. Better in Time)

I think it's the definition of the famous Moopy triumvirate, bright breezy and relistenable.
200w.gif

IMPROMPTU TOP 10 (MOSTLY FROM ECHO)

01 Bleeding Love
02 Can't Breathe
03 Brave
04 Naked
05 Fireflies
06 Outta My Head
07 Collide
08 I To You
09 One More Sleep
10 Stop Crying Your Heart Out

let's face it, it's pretty slim pickings beyond that. poor girl.

EASY

(The Top 9 are all 11/10 moments)

1. Come Alive
2. Run
3. Fireflies
4. Glassheart
5. Colourblind
6. Broken
7. Can't Breathe
8. Bleeding Love
9. Alive
10. One More Sleep
11. I Got You (Echo)
12. Favourite Scar
13. Trouble
14. Take a Bow
15. Naked
16. Outta My Head
17. Whatever it Takes
18. I Am
19. Don't Let Me Down
20. Brave

(21. Better in Time)

Power ROBBED

Poor Leona. I've always had a soft spot for her and some of her singles but I feel she was lacking something.

I love how she unleashes her soft sweet vox standing next to other powerhouses like Mariah and Beyoncé. She must have been terrified by the whole ordeal.

Happy was beiger than a bag of chips but she did unleash some VOCAL on it, I mean what else could she possibly do?

I Got You (Echo) is QUITE GOOD ACTUALLY!

I notice Can't Breathe has the most streams by far of the non-singles (second actually to My Hands, a song I can't recall at all). they really fucked up that campaign so bad.

Releasing "I Will Be" in the States instead of "Run" or "Take a Bow" was her biggest misstep. Avril should have kept it.

My Hands gave us Leona's most iconic moment ever, so I'll always love it for that. The moment? "I just love running around the LAND" of course :disco:

I'll always have time to give it a go if she releases any new music, and I always enjoy the very occasional relisten of her BUT she unfortunately stands out to me as my literal worst live gig of all time. Paper thin vocals, personality vacuum, and dreadful seats (which I'll let her off for as that isn't technically her fault)

Surprised at this, surely she's all about the vox :shock:
I think she has a very pleasant voice but Whitney/Mariah/Celine she isn't. I feel like the X Factor peddled this myth back when she was competing and we all lapped it up excitedly thinking we'd found our UK equivalent.

Maybe she had a bad night on the night we saw her, but I recall no special moments, she didn't push anything and struggled to reach the high notes and songs with any sort of tempo. It wasn't actively BAD but wasn't actively GOOD either. :neutral:

I remember being really into this at the time:

An "oh, who knew you could do an uptempo? Oww!" moment, but it sounds quite cheap and crappy now :(

I remember being really into this at the time:

An "oh, who knew you could do an uptempo? Oww!" moment, but it sounds quite cheap and crappy now :(

It does, yet it would have made a good third singal at the time, something for the clubz :disco: instead they decided to abort the campaign after two singals :(

Leona there's still time to release the Brave EP! :(

I think she has a very pleasant voice but Whitney/Mariah/Celine she isn't. I feel like the X Factor peddled this myth back when she was competing and we all lapped it up excitedly thinking we'd found our UK equivalent.

I think she's got a certain wheelhouse (yearning, longing, aching pop ballads/mid-tempo - I'd even put "One More Sleep" into that category) that she delivers incredibly well - but the moment she's out of that comfort zone the well starts running dry on a lot of tracks.

I know our @VoR has always been particularly kind to her but he had a point when he said that there's a whiff of MISERY that comes with pretty much all of her output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom