Labour: The Keir Starmer years

Sir Keir's won - are you happy with this outcome?

• Total voters
God another FOUR YEARS of Boris' SHIT-SHOW of a government feels faintly ludicrous.

I am starting to sense that a quiet majority of voters that agreed with Boris on "getting Brexit done" aren't necessarily on the same page in regards to EVERYTHING ELSE

Reactions: GNL
I am quite fascinated to discover what kind of cognitive leaps people are going to make in the next couple of years as the grim reality of Brexit blows up in their faces. It's already being predicted that the UK will have the worst recession of any developed country in the world after Coronavirus, and possibly the worst since records began.

Can he KEEP IT UP for another 4 years though?
Well it's a good start. He's a lawyer (so absolute professional) with seemingly no skeletons. I at least have hope right now. Tony Blair was in opposition for three years and just went up and up.

I am quite fascinated to discover what kind of cognitive leaps people are going to make in the next couple of years as the grim reality of Brexit blows up in their faces. It's already being predicted that the UK will have the worst recession of any developed country in the world after Coronavirus, and possibly the worst since records began.
Sadly that's normally a magnet for Tory voting.

Well it’s actually 3 years and 11 months. Not long now girls!

That’d be a nice birthday infact, a nice Labour majority in the hands of our KEIR :disco::eyes:

It will ALL be on the virus, I suspect.

Yes, the virus gives them the perfect vehicle to says “it’s them not us” etc.

Considering those people were rallying around Boris for 'trying his best', and getting pissed at journalists and politicians for... Well... Politicising the virus, I imagine covid-19 will be a wonderful get out of jail free card for the Brexiteers (those who haven't died of covid-19 of course).

Remember a lot of them still think Gordon Brown caused a global recession.

What was the anti-semitic ELEMENT? The interview itself with lovely Maxine Peake seems to make no reference to Jews?

What was the anti-semitic ELEMENT? The interview itself with lovely Maxine Peake seems to make no reference to Jews?

”Systemic racism is a global issue,” she adds. “The tactics used by the police in America, kneeling on George Floyd’s neck, that was learnt from seminars with Israeli secret services.”

Is the “anti semitic conspiracy theory” in question.

For fuck's sake :manson: So we're back to no-one being allowed ANY CRITICISM of ANYTHING TO DO WITH ISRAEL because it must mean they want Holocaust II. ONE quote in an article, and it wasn't even HER that said it. Jesus FUCKING Christ.

And yet what's happened to the Blairites in the party that were racist towards Diane Abbott and others? ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING OF COURSE!

But I thought the Israeli government and their policies could be criticised without it being seen as antisemitism? It's enough to make you think the attacks on the Labour left from certain corners over the last few years may not have entirely been in good faith :eyes:

That's mad. Peake bringing up Israel out of nowhere was a bit odd/tone-deaf but it was a fucking retweet from a national newspaper.

I've restrained from criticising Starmer because I think he's shown fairly good political instincts since becoming leader, but this does feel like a stitch-up.

Last edited:
It does mention that she was supposed to be in Palestine earlier in the article so maybe the topic was brought up and left out.

Although of course linking it to George Floyd was a bit off.

Last edited:
It does mention that she was supposed to be in Palestine earlier in the article so maybe the topic was brought up and left out.

Yeah possibly. I only skimmed the article before I posted, I've had a proper look now.

Reading it more closely, there is quite a lengthy part you could interpret as Peake subtly slagging off SIR KEIR QC and his new supporters. I wonder if that's the real reason RLB has gone.

Peake campaigned for the Labour Party at the last general election, and was a vocal supporter of Jeremy Corbyn even as many people turned their back on him. “Those people who were normally Labour supporters who felt they couldn’t vote Labour? Well I’m sorry, they voted Tory as far as I’m concerned,” says Peake. “And it breaks my heart, because you know what? I didn’t like Tony Blair, but I still voted Labour because anything’s better than the Tories. There’s a lot of people who should hang their heads in shame. People going, ‘Oh, I can join the Labour Party again because Keir Starmer’s there,’ well shame on you.

What does she think of the new Labour leader? “You know what, at the end of the day, all I want is the Tories out. I think people will get behind Starmer, won’t they? He’s a more acceptable face of the Labour Party for a lot of people who are not really left wing. But that’s fine. Whatever. As long as the Tories get out, I don’t care anymore. You can’t be sad, you’ve just got to get on and organise, without standing at the rooftops and going, ‘You reap what you sow!’ There were moments when I wanted to scream that,” she adds with a doleful laugh, “but no, we’ve got to keep moving forward.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...keir-starmer-black-lives-matter-a9583206.html

Is this not Labour treading super carefully after the right wing pretended to care about the Jewish community so they had a rod to beat Corbyn with? If he hadn’t sacked her, he’d get just as much stick, just from a different direction.

Is this not Labour treading super carefully after the right wing pretended to care about the Jewish community so they had a rod to beat Corbyn with? If he hadn’t sacked her, he’d get just as much stick, just from a different direction.

Nah, Rachel Reeves and her wet-patch for Nazi #girlboss Nancy Astor are still there. This isn't about anti-semitism, it's bullshit.

I have to say that was my initial reaction. It seems like the first shadow cabinet member accused of anything even looking like anti-semitism was going to be sacked, whoever it was, simply to make a point that Starmer is taking it seriously.

Peake bringing up Israel out of nowhere was a bit odd/tone-deaf

It's not tone-deaf at all. Firstly, the article mentions that Peake had just returned from volunteering in Palestine after Corona broke, so obviously this would be on her mind. Secondly, the whole point BLM is trying to highlight after Floyd's death is the SYSTEMIC RACISM ingrained in the US police where the lives of a whole race are weighed differently to those of another race, which is EXACTLY THE SAME ISSUE faced by Palestinians with the Israeli police. It is WELL-DOCUMENTED and NOT A CONSPIRACY THEORY that the IDF is training thousands of US policemen in various states, so it's not A STRETCH to suggest that there is a correlation in what they're "teaching".

And yeah, MAXINE PEAKE CANNOT PROVE that the IDF has taught US policemen how to choke prisoners to death (and :manson: at the lame-ass journo's "research" of the veracity of the claim - "we approached the IDF and they told us they don't do this, promise!" LOL!) but all the APOLOGISTS fixating on that point instead of admitting the systemic racism on both police bodies tells you all you need to know about how insidious the propaganda of the Israeli government is.

Last edited:
I'm no RLB fan, and I do think that Kier has to look to be brutal with anything vaguely antisemitic (because no matter how we might think it look, it's the papers, their spin, and their sheeple readership that really matter)

But even this looks a step too far.

I am not sure where I sit with this.

On one hand, I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with the article, other than it perhaps being clumsily articulated. So to be fired over something you didn't even say or write is ridiculous.

On the other, refusing to apologise and delete and taking a stand on an issue which the Labour Party is already struggling a lot with is not good politics, and so what other option is there to try and stop the story spiralling out of control and distracting from the government's failings. Labour, as always, are held to a higher standard

It's not tone-deaf at all. Firstly, the article mentions that Peake had just returned from volunteering in Palestine after Corona broke, so obviously this would be in her mind. Secondly, the whole point BLM is trying to highlight after Floyd's death is the SYSTEMIC RACISM ingrained in the US police where the lives of a whole race are weighed differently to those of another race, which is EXACTLY THE SAME ISSUE faced by Palestinians with the Israeli police. It is WELL-DOCUMENTED and NOT A CONSPIRACY THEORY that the IDF is training thousands of US policemen in various states, so it's not A STRETCH to suggest that there is a correlation in what they're "teaching".

And yeah, MAXINE PEAKE CANNOT PROVE that the IDF has taught US policemen how to choke prisoners to death (and :manson: at the lame-ass journo's "research" of the veracity of the claim - "we approached the IDF and they told us they don't do this, promise!" LOL!) but all the APOLOGISTS fixating on that point instead of admitting the systemic racism on both police bodies tells you all you need to know about how insidious the propaganda of the Israeli government is.

The article doesn't make the connection especially clear. Scroll up, I agreed with @jivafox that maybe something was omitted once I'd read it more closely.

I think she could have been more cautious with her words, considering she spent much of the interview talking about pragmatism. She must know by now that there's a hair-trigger attitude to anyone vaguely associated with the Labour left even mentioning the word Israel. The intentions are good but you're obviously not going to get a charitable public hearing on "the Israelis taught the police how to kill George Floyd".

The article doesn't make the connection especially clear. Scroll up, I agreed with @jivafox that maybe something was omitted once I'd read it more closely.

I think she could have been more cautious with her words, considering she spent much of the interview talking about pragmatism. She must know by now that there's a hair-trigger attitude to anyone vaguely associated with the Labour left even mentioning the word Israel. The intentions are good but you're obviously not going to get a charitable public hearing on "the Israelis taught the police how to kill George Floyd".

I fail to understand why she needs to "choose her words" because of potential repercussions on the Labour Party. She's not a politician of the party and has zero to answer to the leadership, especially the current one!

I fail to understand why she needs to "choose her words" because of potential repercussions on the Labour Party. She's not a politician of the party and has zero to answer to the leadership, especially the current one!

She's a fairly high-profile Labour activist, isn't she? At any rate, the actions of the broader left inevitably have an ripple effect on party politics, that's how the so-called anti-Semitism crisis arose in the first place.

I can assure you I didn't say it was phrased poorly in the auspices of defending fucking Keir Starmer, if that's what you're getting at.

I feel that the Labour party are damned if they do and damned if they don't on this. Firing her sends a strong message that they won't be anti-Semitic... but then gives the Tories ammo to say 'hey look, they've had to fire someone for anti-Semitism, they have an endemic problem in the Labour party' even though the Tories say worse things daily and have a leader who will NEVER fire them for saying so. It's completely unfair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom