Gladiators (2024)

Apollo looks like Ben from A1 without chest hair. And taller. I would.

I love Sabre’s sass and she backs it up with her performances.

I wonder if The Edge can be tweaked slightly as seems like it’s a bit all or nothing in terms of points. If your gladiator is rubbish (like Legend) then you can really romp the eliminator with the time difference.

Last edited:
Was so weird being in a pub last night where they'd kept the TVs on after the rugby and half the people were avidly watching Gladiators.

I wonder if The Edge can be tweaked slightly as seems like it’s a bit all or nothing in terms of points. If you’re gladiator is rubbish (like Legend) then you can really romp the eliminator with the time difference.
Yes, I thought that last night. You can work far harder for a lot fewer points in other events.

I suppose the easiest answer is just to keep Legend away from that event.

The episode last week: what was all that about during gauntlet where all of the female gladiators dropped their pads? The panto rule breaking kind of needed to end after the initial heats.

There was more of it last night (but from Legend so it gets a pass). I just generally think about kids lapping it all up and it allows me to stare at Legends arse for a little longer anyway.

I think because Legend has that personality, they are favouring him a lot in the one on one events, aren't they? I don't think I'm misremembering just because of all the interviews after the events. But he doesn't seem to be particularly strong at them.

Mind you, after Apollo's charisma free singalong last night, and Viper's ceaseless mugging and grimacing, you can see why they seem heavily reliant on Legend in the personality department.

There was more of it last night (but from Legend so it gets a pass). I just generally think about kids lapping it all up and it allows me to stare at Legends arse for a little longer anyway.

Oh totally. As much as his "moments" are getting too long, I'm happy for him to keep turning around and posing.

It may still be the case that they're overusing some of the gladiators in earlier rounds and saving others for later to ensure a consistent challenge. Even so, I forgot Bionic even existed until he turned up this week (and I'm not entirely convinced that wasn't an afterthought judging by the outfit he was wearing), while Fury seems to be doing overtime!

There's clearly a bit of posturing from the gladiators, but I do buy that some of the tension is authentic. While I'd welcome some new/returning events next series that are a bit more of a spectacle, choosing ones that mostly involve physical contact this time does seem to generate adrenaline.

After not really registering on my radar during the first few weeks, Sabre is rapidly emerging as one of my favourites.

Athena (if she's the one I'm thinking of - brunette, short) is the one I usually forget exists until they wheel her out to defend the third zone in Gauntlet.

Athena (if she's the one I'm thinking of - brunette, short) is the one I usually forget exists until they wheel her out to defend the third zone in Gauntlet.

Athena, Comet and Dynamite have all made zero impact on me thus far.

Nitro is another I occasionally forget, although he does feature pretty regularly. He's not a big personality, but he seems genuinely lovely.

I did enjoy his dance off on Duel and he seems best on the Wall. I didn't quite realise how substantial Chung's lead was, so I think he's been my favourite contestant. The guy who pulled out was very good at the cheesy dialogue quips, so he is also missed and would have been good. If Viper is to stay, they should probably let him break character a tad as not even joining in with fellow Gladiator celebrations in the locker room just does not work.

I put this together so that you don't have to.

Total Appearances
Nitro
14​
Diamond
14​
Legend
13​
Sabre
14​
Steel
13​
Fury
14​
Apollo
12​
Fire
12​
Giant
11​
Dynamite
12​
Phantom
11​
Electro
11​
Viper
10​
Athena
9​
Bionic
5​
Comet
3​
Total exc. Gauntlet & Collision
Nitro
12​
Fury
13​
Legend
10​
Sabre
12​
Apollo
9​
Diamond
10​
Steel
8​
Dynamite
7​
Phantom
7​
Fire
6​
Giant
5​
Electro
4​
Bionic
3​
Comet
3​
Viper
3​
Athena
2​

I remember reading that both Sabre and Comet got injuries during filming - Comet hasn't been since episode 2 so that explains her low number of appearances.

Bionic didn't show up in the first episode. I still remember the gay bashing gauntlet turn and have been hoping for more :horny:

There’s nothing wrong with The Edge that couldn’t be fixed by giving then 2 points for a crossing rather than 3. Gauntlet, on the other hand, is totally unsalvagable.

I’ve not seen every episode this series but from what I’ve seen, no contestant hasn’t got through Gauntlet. Is there anyone who hasn’t? I seem to remember lots failing in the original series.

I’ve not seen every episode this series but from what I’ve seen, no contestant hasn’t got through Gauntlet. Is there anyone who hasn’t? I seem to remember lots failing in the original series.
I think there was one contender who got injured part way through.

Has a anyone watched “Muscles and Mayhem” on Netflix? The documentary about the American Gladiators? Not finished it yet but I’m finding it very watchable although the constant repetition about steroid use starts to grate.

The episode last week: what was all that about during gauntlet where all of the female gladiators dropped their pads? The panto rule breaking kind of needed to end after the initial heats.

I think it was a mini protest that their pads are soft and flimsy as anything, they need firmer pads and to make the gauntlet a bit longer if you ask me!

I think it was a mini protest that their pads are soft and flimsy as anything, they need firmer pads and to make the gauntlet a bit longer if you ask me!

Isn't one of the rules that the gladiators aren't allowed to hold the contenders? What the hell else are you supposed to do with two GIANT FOAM PADS ATTACHED TO YOUR HANDS? :D

Maybe a niche crossover but this works so well

Catching up on last week's ep, and Chung is amazing? The way he managed to brush off Nitro on the wall and Legend on The Edge when they'd both grabbed hold of him was GREAT TELLY

I really don't like this new WALL. I want a yellow desert sand coloured wall.

I'm watching this for the first time and really into it. It's so close to the original which I didn't realise it would be at all. I think that's why it's connecting. Fun for the oldies who like a bit of nostalgia and equally fun for their kids who like a bit of excitement.

I didn't watch the last revival of this, but I can't imagine it stuck to the original this much. The temptation must always be there to change and modernise things, when the proof is clear that that's simply not always needed.

Yes you are right with the 2008 Sky one - it was set in a smaller studio and much more 'futuristic' with them falling into water etc - it just didn't work.

and I agree about the way its connecting, if you think how well initially things like Total Wipeout did and that other one did, Gladiators as a concept has so much more so I think it was just a matter of sticking to the original formula and it would be a win-win in terms of new and old audiences

Betty could get that fastest runner up spot

I want them to give times of the eliminator as we go along like they did in the original

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom