Christina Aguilera - Liberation

In case you need a little reminder, I've been doing this way before you...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 0 - HA!

• Total voters

POP!

Let the light in
Six years on, I think it kind of slaps.

Christina_Aguilera_-_Liberation_%28Official_Album_Cover%29.png

Liberation
Searching for Maria
Maria
Sick of Sittin'
Dreamers
Fall In Line feat. Demi Lovato
Right Moves feat. Shenseea
Like I Do feat. GoldLink
Deserve
Twice
I Don't Need it Anymore (Interlude)
Accelerate feat. Ty Dolla $ign and 2 Chainz
Pipe feat. XNDA
Masochist
Unless It's With You

The latest revelation for me is "Deserve". What a psychotic but calypso tinged delight.

Breakfast in the MORNIN
Laughin' over PANCAKES!

Her voice is really dog rough at some points, particularly "Maria" and "Sick of Sittin'". But perfect is boring!

NA Liberation
NA Searching for Maria
06 Maria
04 Sick of Sittin'
NA Dreamers
07 Fall In Line feat. Demi Lovato
08 Right Moves feat. Shenseea
10 Like I Do feat. GoldLink
10 Deserve
07 Twice
NA I Don't Need it Anymore (Interlude)
07 Accelerate feat. Ty Dolla $ign and 2 Chainz
09 Pipe feat. XNDA
07 Masochist
10 Unless It's With You

The second half really shits on the first half.

It's so unfortunate that post-Lotus🌸🌺 Xtina's career has been pretty much on autopilot and she just doesn't give a shit. Being considered a legacy act by the time you're just on your 4th album must hurt a bit; I also think becoming a judge on The Voice did more harm than good because it cemented her status as such. At least she's still a force to be reckoned with and I'm pretty sure she still has it in her, she can have at least one more legit hit because no matter how many times she still tours I hate she's being mocked by having to rely heavily on 2.5 albums (If you know you know) to fill up a setlist.

The passion for ARTISTRY is there, she just can't be arsed and probably hates the whole promo circuit. With that said, I wonder how she got away with releasing Liberation because even though it's an OK album, it was never gonna be commercially successful; Ariana and others were doing the same thing much better.

I think the intention was right with this one. much better producers, stronger visuals etc. the problem was just that some (most) of the songs were lacking.

Right Moves is the best thing here by a mile. Like I Do also a tune, Twice very good. after that it's slim pickings...

Did POP! get lost on the way to some other forum?

The debut is a pleasant but uninspiring late 90s pop album, hardly memorable outside of the singles. Who listens to it in 2024?

Stripped is a classic and among my all time top 50 pop albums.

Back to Basics is bloated but has a great 10-12 track album in there. imagery was excellent. she was still a major pop player at this time.

Bionic had two amazing songs (Lift Me Up, You Lost Me) and the rest ranged from unlistenable to mediocre. I think this is responsible for killing her career, not the Voice.

Lotus had such poor mastering/production (it sounds awful) but I enjoy about 50% of it. it has some cute pop songs, but I can tell it wasn't authentically her. i'm sure she hates it.

The debut is a pleasant but uninspiring late 90s pop album, hardly memorable outside of the singles. Who listens to it in 2024?

Stripped is a classic and among my all time top 50 pop albums.

Back to Basics is bloated but has a great 10-12 track album in there. imagery was excellent. she was still a major pop player at this time.

Bionic had two amazing songs (Lift Me Up, You Lost Me) and the rest ranged from unlistenable to mediocre. I think this is responsible for killing her career, not the Voice.

Lotus had such poor mastering/production (it sounds awful) but I enjoy about 50% of it. it has some cute pop songs, but I can tell it wasn't authentically her. i'm sure she hates it.
the definitive assessment of her career, i agree with every word. these popstars rarely/never get an active career bounce from The Voice, but it doesn't do any damage either. it adds to their brand, but it's simply immaterial to their status as popstars.

Xtina's biggest problem was that she waited years between albums (four years was far too long to be gone after Back to Basics, which had several medium hits but did not score a career/signature hit) and misjudged the mood/her appeal by returning with a vampy, campy waif of a single in Not Myself Tonight. the album being largely quite niche (to put it kindly) didn't help, but they should've taken a chance on You Lost Me as the comeback single. that might be the biggest mistake in a career full of them.

by the end of the Bionic campaign she was a has-been and already felt like a legacy artiste. too many assumptions of superstardom and not enough putting in the groundwork to get the public on side. everything Lotus onwards has been a footnote at best.

you're telling me I'm the only one who does vocal warm ups to BLESSED before my gigs? Also, her Fantasy/Dreamlover rip-off Love Will Find A Way is an essential, white, cis-woman-coded, summer bop.

I do have to add that she has had majorly AWFUL remixes though, most of them from the first two albums, what the fuck was that? Eddie Arroyo (whoever that guy is) can kiss my Latino ass.

This woman probably hates 75% of the shit she has released. She's always struck me as someone who doesn't like straightforward bubble gum pop or anything remotely Top 40 except for Beautiful and Fighter.
She would have fared better if she made a career out of singing covers only.

Christina was my popstar of choice in the early aughts. I basically outed myself as a QUEEN by doing an essay on her videography when I was at school :zombie: I don't think anything from that greatest hits onwards has been particularly essential though.

I never took to this album. I really liked 'Masochist' at the time but listening now there's not much to it. It's a better album than 'Lotus', but that one has higher highs (SAY!)

The way she completely avoided doing any promo for Your Body, that could have been a surefire COMEBACK and would have done her huge favors considering her star power during those years but she's a stubborn little cow.

Your Body is the best thing she’s ever put her name to :disco:

Well, and that Pitbull monstrosity :disco:

Well, and that Pitbull monstrosity :disco:

I can confirm this usually goes down a storm when played at gay seedy dives (Yes, they still play it) I seldom venture into, usually full of the LOWEST common denominator, BRITNEY WHO?

I can confirm this usually goes down a storm when played at gay seedy dives (Yes, they still play it) I seldom venture into, usually full of the LOWEST common denominator, BRITNEY WHO?

I am lowest common denominator, so that sounds about right :disco:

the definitive assessment of her career, i agree with every word. these popstars rarely/never get an active career bounce from The Voice, but it doesn't do any damage either. it adds to their brand, but it's simply immaterial to their status as popstars.

Xtina's biggest problem was that she waited years between albums (four years was far too long to be gone after Back to Basics, which had several medium hits but did not score a career/signature hit) and misjudged the mood/her appeal by returning with a vampy, campy waif of a single in Not Myself Tonight. the album being largely quite niche (to put it kindly) didn't help, but they should've taken a chance on You Lost Me as the comeback single. that might be the biggest mistake in a career full of them.

by the end of the Bionic campaign she was a has-been and already felt like a legacy artiste. too many assumptions of superstardom and not enough putting in the groundwork to get the public on side. everything Lotus onwards has been a footnote at best.
As much as I don’t like Bionic I think it could’ve had some success if released in 2008 instead of that awful GH package. It would’ve ridden the dance-pop comeback in 2008, maybe, and been less time since Back to Basics.

The problem with Bionic is that by then Gaga had appeared and it just looked like a rip off.

I also think the whole DIRRRTY SLUT/ B2B WINK AND NUDGE/ NOT MYSELF TONIGHT SLUT was a bit of a jarring journey didn’t help.

The Greatest Hits was also poorly timed- it was too soon, felt half assed and GHs often feel like a summation of a career- you need something barnstorming to hold attention during the campaign and Keep Getting Better was clearly just a cast off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom