Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
Well it had to happen

Directed by Sam Taylor Johnson and starring Yasmine from Industry. I guess it’ll be short at least.

what in the PARTY CITY HELL is going on with that wig?

I hope they include that iconic moment

"I wanna be remembered... for just bein' may..."

serving Gemma Collins with that

I find the backlash to this really BASIC. It's an interesting story, with a classy enough cast and creative team. It might well end up being shit, but I think it's worth the benefit of the doubt (and I'll deffs see it either way)

I find the backlash to this really BASIC. It's an interesting story, with a classy enough cast and creative team. It might well end up being shit, but I think it's worth the benefit of the doubt (and I'll deffs see it either way)

I was thinking the same. Not sure how that trailer reveals anything at all about it being terrible or appalling.

I think with this more than probably any other biopic I can think of, it just feels both tasteless and redundant. her entire life was played out in the tabloids so what's to reveal? we've even had her diaries. imagery of her is burned onto everyone's retinas. why watch someone playing dressup as Amy in a shoddy wig? and it was all relatively recent so going there already feels crass. it's just a big ol' what's the point? who actually wants this? I think it will bomb.

She looks WOEFULLY miscast

Not convincing in the slightest

Seems to be getting good reviews so far

4 stars from The Guardian for example

OH HANG ON

“cringeworthy” according to The Telegraph

“so bad it made me gasp in horror” from the Standard :disco:

I don’t like her speaking voice, based on the trailer. Amy had a distinctive, deep voice. You’d think out of everything, they’d get the voice right.

The Standard review sounds like it was reviewed by an Amy superfan and is slightly unhinged in its own right :D

Rehab, the lightning bolt single that of course changed everything, is not even heard until the last 20 minutes of the film. You Know I’m No Good doesn’t feature, at all. Tears Dry On Their Own plays over the credits. For someone who released so little music, this is just… absurd.

And to state the obvious: Amy Winehouse was not just once-in-a-generation voice. She was a born interpreter of song who, even before she was a star, had put in her 10,000 hours at the altar of true masters like Ray Charles, Etta James and Donnie Hathaway.
Much has been made, too, of how much weight Abela has lost for this role. I would first like to make it emphatically clear that I find the actors-starving-themselves-for-awards thing to be irresponsible-verging-on-disturbing – would Dr Oppenheimer have been any less Dr Oppenheimer without Cillian Murphy’s press tour-friendly one-almond-a-week diet? – but… no one in this film is skinny enough.

OH HANG ON

“cringeworthy” according to The Telegraph

“so bad it made me gasp in horror” from the Standard :disco:
It’s like me listening to ASFM

This was very much Amy Winehouse: the early years, where they glossed over pretty much everything that happened from Glastonbury to her death. It wasn't that bad, I did enjoy Jack O'Connell channelling his inner Danny Dyer though.

Hmm. So she gives a good central performance, but for such a tragically short life, they for very little in to 2 hours. It did it a bit better than the recent Bob Marley film, but only just.

Studiocanal’s Amy Winehouse biopic Back To Black led the UK and Ireland box office this weekend with a £2.7m debut.

Sam Taylor-Johnson’s feature, starring Marisa Abela as the late singer, opened in 719 cinemas – the widest of the year so far – making for a £3,853 location average.

It is behind that of Paramount’s Bob Marley: One Love which debuted with £4.2m back in February and is down on other British musician biopics – 2018’s Bohemian Rhapsody (£9.5) and 2019’s Rocketman (£5.3m).

Back To Black did however beat out Sony’s Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody which scored a £1.4m opening in 2022 and has already surpassed the lifetime total of Taylor-Johnson’s John Lennon biopic Nowhere Boy (£1.4m).

This was... fine. Not so-bad-it's-gasp-worthy at all, and thingy in the lead was actually good. Some moderately cringe moments alright and it's pretty simplistic overall but I thought it was decent.

6/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom