Baby Reindeer (Netflix)

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
I know this has been briefly mentioned elsewhere, but I felt it needed it's own topic.

Probably the best self penned UK piece since "I May Destroy You". Both the leads are easily award winning roles in waiting. Dealing with so many issues with from a different angle, complete with fantastic trans representation.

Word of caution, it's as compelling as it is stressful. Brilliant though.

I decided to watch an episode last night and ended up watching four. I was genuinely cringing at times which shows how effective the cast is. Episode 4 went in a direction I wasn’t expecting but tied in overall. Very good.

It’s shattering. One of the best British pruductions in a very long time. Episode 4 is a really tough watch but it is essential.

Christ the reviews for this are all amazing. I'm not shocked.

I ended up watching this again, because Mr Ag wanted to see it and picked up a few more bits.

AWARDS ALL AROUND PLEASE

The irony is, he's now going to get A LOT OF GAYS AND GIRLS wanting to fuck him (in a kind way).

I've just started this and I'm already struggling with cringing into next year. It's deeply uncomfortable and I imagine it's only getting worse

I have only watched the first episode too and preparing myself for how it is all going to unravel.

I see it has been number one on Netflix the last few days so it is doing well in the UK at least. Pleased that Jessica Gunning has a good lead role, she seems to have been turning up in supporting parts forever.

I've just started this and I'm already struggling with cringing into next year. It's deeply uncomfortable and I imagine it's only getting worse

Yeah I'm ten minutes into episode one and having a hard time. It's not a criticism of the quality of the show, it's just so uncomfortable to watch.

Yeah I'm ten minutes into episode one and having a hard time. It's not a criticism of the quality of the show, it's just so uncomfortable to watch.

Gird yourselves for episode four, loves

1000056927.png

NOT THIS HAPPENING AS I WATCH

I’m on a business trip tomorrow and tempted to watch this whilst chilling in my hotel room but bare in mind I’m prone to a bit of anxiety… is it the right vibe for alone in a hotel?

We watched this and I thought it was a show of good quality (her acting in particular was amazing because you never felt wholly sympathetic or angry with her, she balanced it just right) but I would say I didn’t actually enjoy watching it really. Had there been another episode I don’t think I’d have kept going.

I got halfway through episode 4 tonight and had to switch off as I don’t really need the STRESS on a Tuesday night. I may have to re-visit after half a bottle of a wine.

Not the steaming hot tea I thought it might be going in, but an interesting enough read -

I've seen episode four now. Is it wrong that I found his shit standup comedy far more difficult to watch than the other stuff?

Not the steaming hot tea I thought it might be going in, but an interesting enough read -

None of that surprises me. So much to unpack on this show, and it obviously contains a huge amount of implied self-criticism, but having now watched it all it's left me feeling quite troubled. I don't want to engage in victim-blaming, but I can't shake the feeling that he very likely inserted himself into the life of a deeply troubled woman because on some level he recognised very early on that it made good content. I suppose he somewhat acknowledges that, but it felt like the show itself was just the next step in that process of commodifying somebody else's trauma as well as his own. I felt a little complicit just by watching it. It's probably nowhere near as black and white as that of course but yeah... uneasy, and I'm not sure brave is the word I'd use for it.

I've seen episode four now. Is it wrong that I found his shit standup comedy far more difficult to watch than the other stuff?

This was absolutely the bit I found most difficult to watch :D I find stand-up comedy as a concept inherently awkward to watch, even in the hands of a seasoned comedian. So, seeing a series of amateur (and, let's be honest, not very good) comedy routines was EXCRUCIATING.

Besides the content of the show itself, what struck me is how well the episodes are paced. Some ran shorter, some ran longer, but all of them felt like the right length for the bit of the story they were telling, which is one of the advantages of being on a streaming platform. The cast is excellent, although the policeman really stood out to me as feeling misplaced; I get what his ineptitude represents in terms of stalking being taken seriously as a crime, but he didn't fit the tone for me. I had such a visceral reaction to the scene where Martha turned up at Donny and Teri's date; the way all of Donny's anger and frustration came out in that moment didn't feel acted.

The comedy sketches made me cringe so much it just shows how well those scenes were written and presented.

He freely admits he should’ve and could’ve dealt with the whole situation differently but the notion that someone can insert themselves into a formerly imprisoned, violent serial stalker’s life is a bit off. Of course he’s capitalised on a life experience now as many writers have done.

The idea that he went along with her, just for a skit is fairly wild. Even if he did, I'll bet he isn't the first comedian to allow themselves in somewhat wacky situations just for the story.

He's pretty honest that he was desperate, vulnerable and broken. A broken person can unwittingly end up doing all sorts just to get by. At my lowest ebb many years ago, I ended up in all kinds of self destructive situations. That was the relatable bit for me.

Episode 4 did bring back some shit I've never really dealt with. A reminder that there are some MSM who really should have their dicks cut off.

And yeah the stand up stuff was appalling. Relaying that really shows up his worst tendency for self criticism. His old videos are still on YouTube. I've not dared to watch.

I wasn't necessarily condemning him, and there is a case that good art is supposed to make you uncomfortable.

It's a tough one, I just left the whole thing feeling really uneasy about how reliable he was as a narrator, and that thread Finn quoted about him (allegedly) being a big weirdo during the casting process sort of underlined it.

I think everybody has acknowledged that some good art can make you feel uncomfortable.

I’m not saying your opinion is invalid and of course I’ve no idea but I think if it was a 26 year old barmaid aspiring writer dealing with a 40something male in the same way the same point may not be being made.

I watched this over the last couple of days and got a little bit curious about the true story behind it.

There doesn't seem to be anything other than his say-so that any of this happened. I've seen the sleuths on reddit think that they might have nailed down who the real Martha and the director might be, but it's still giving me 'A Million Little Pieces' vibes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom