baby queen!

krang

User
has been responsible for two of my favourite pop songs this year. what's their name, you ask?

well, the xenomania-like dover beach is one. it's like a girls alound song. it is everything - by the time it reaches its apex it feels like a thousand bottles of pink champagne popping off and then the wordy outro vox. brrr, dead! you have to listen to it with the sound up all the way, you simply have to.

the other is raw thoughts and features the line: i'm thinking about you, and you're thinking about sex. i don't have a handbag but if i did i would probably swinging it violently by the end of it.

galaxy, i love them so!

anyway, the album ("mixtape") is called the yearbook but i'm not entirely sold. she's ton quite a few videos for it, i respect the effort muchly.

new video came out yesterday fyi:

I LOVE her. "Medicine" and "You Shaped Hole" are my favourites so far. I was considering going to see her in April but I reckon it'll be a young crowd and I'll look like a cop. There's a definite air of early Marina and the Diamonds about her but less consciously quirky and more conversational.

Oh yes I really liked Buzzkill and Raw thoughts, didn't know there was an album ! Will investigate :disco:

Moopy doesn’t like her. I entered her in ASFM and she FLOPPED SPECTACULARLY. They don’t have taste! Thread must be deleted!

Dover Beach is especially wonderful but I don't think the mixtape/album is as consistent as the EP she released last year.

Moopy doesn’t like her. I entered her in ASFM and she FLOPPED SPECTACULARLY. They don’t have taste! Thread must be deleted!
Which song did you go for ?
Like when I entered GIRLI :(

first time hearing anything about her, but Baby Dover is fabulous. great melodies, beautiful hooks. I'm getting a bit of Wolf Alice (Don't Delete the Kisses in particular), Self Esteem and various other UK alt-pop queens rather than GA/Xeno.

first time hearing anything about her, but Baby Dover is fabulous. great melodies, beautiful hooks. I'm getting a bit of Wolf Alice (Don't Delete the Kisses in particular), Self Esteem and various other UK alt-pop queens rather than GA/Xeno.
Dover Beach, not Baby Dover :eyes: oops

Dover Beach has truly taken over my life. easily one of the songs of the year, it's everything I love in a joyful four minute pop package.

Dreamy new song from the Heartstopper soundtrack:

She has a few more on the show, including Want Me and Dover Beach. Apparently it has given her a well deserved streaming boost.

I ended up not going to the gig I had tickets for because it was a Saturday night and I wasn't feeling so great but I still love her and want an album STAT.

She has a few more on the show, including Want Me and Dover Beach. Apparently it has given her a well deserved streaming boost.

Are you LISTENING Moopy. Your very own Reet ahead of the curve AGAIN.

the first 20 seconds of this, I thought it was Lana del Rey

She's so fucking good - Raw Thoughts and Dover Beach are as strong a pop debuts as I remember, and Colours Of You is lovely too.

Her not being at Glastonbury felt like an odd omission, whoever's decision that was. A well-placed set on one of the smaller stages could have easily taken her up another level breakthrough-wise.

Last edited:

I thought the write a song for Jodie Comer line was a little random but Want Me actually was actually written about her.

There's a real "early 00s UK record label tries to launch their answer to Avril Lavigne" energy to that video. Quite annoying

There's a real "early 00s UK record label tries to launch their answer to Avril Lavigne" energy to that video. Quite annoying

Yes, I must admit I abandoned the visuals after about twenty seconds.

She's taken waaaaaay to long to get an album out. Her label seem to want a 'viral hit' (or maybe an actual hit) first and it's all been dragged out rather. As someone who doesn't like hearing too many songs before an album comes out, I've got a bit bored waiting.

I really like the new one!

I can't think of another pop star with this many good songs in recent years who's just not broken through properly though? Raw Thoughts and Dover Beach alone should have made her BIGGER THAN JESUS.

Nice of Heartstopper to offer her support for what seems like a second year in a row though (the We Can Be Anything video premiered on the Heartstopper instagram account earlier this week). Maybe it'll do the trick this time.

I love that they're referring to Quarter Life Crisis as her 'debut album'. Gurl please, The Year Book came out in 2021 and featured TEN SONGS. And some of them were better than a lot of artists manage in their whole career :disco: It was an album even if only three gays on Moopy bought it.

I have ordered this new one too. There are a LOT of bundle options on her official site, and they're piggy backing on Heartstopper again with a CD with a cover designed by Alice Oseman. I do hope it pays off, she deserves Olivia Rodrigo success.

P.S. BABY QUEEN FOR EUROVISION

I sometimes suspect these mixtapes they do on new artists are a case of bets being hedged.

I'm really looking forward to the album. Hopefully she manages to bring some of the Heartstopper audience with her (the Oseman artwork does feel like a canny move).

I've got even more into Baby Queen these past few weeks. She really is ludicrously good, with SUCH a high hit rate. In terms of the percentage of her songs that are properly great that is, not in terms of actual hits obvs. At least NOT YET. Fingers crossed world domination is coming soon.

BABY QUEEN TOP TEN (in no particular order, coz I'm too fucking lazy) -

Dover Beach
Raw Thoughts
Nobody Really Cares
Lazy
Dream Girl
We Can Be Anything
Colours Of You
Dream Girl
You Shaped Hole
Internet Religion

You Shaped Hole was the song I included in my short-lived attempt to have an online "radio" show. I played Medicine as well but that was because of reasons.

The album has been DELAYED to NOVEMBER THE 10TH. Like she's Mae Muller :(

Hopefully this means she's also bagged herself a Graham Norton slot to coincide with the new date. And not just her popping up on a Hearstopper gay's instagram live or something

Album now only a couple of weeks away and BQ has been churning out the songs. The new one might be what they call a mood:

Has "Lazy" been memoryholed? It doesn't seem to be on the album...

Shame, I liked that one. Never mind...happens. I ordered a bundle of a 7" with a Cure cover alongside the deluxe CD because I realised I would actually play the 7" but the vinyl/pic disc LP would be played once to make sure it wasn't damaged and then filed under B.

why has nobody mentioned the BRILLIANCE of 23?

I think it's her best since Dover Beach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom