United Kingdom 2024: Olly Alexander - Dizzy

Left you Dizzy?

• Total voters
Apparently protestors were handing these out outside the venue, which may account for Olly’s apparent unhappiness onstage.

Apparently protestors were handing these out outside the venue, which may account for Olly’s apparent unhappiness onstage.

One minute you're signing open letters "AS A QUEER", the next minute you're the subject of open letters signed "AS A QUEER". Life comes at you fast, but the queers come at you faster.

I mean, I'd be pretty fucked off if I was him. Is this happening to all of the artists? If so, what exactly do the protests think this will achieve?

As far as I can tell they’re targeting the artists who have spoken out about Israel’s participation. So I guess if you say nothing you get a free pass 🤷‍♂️

In fairness the number of people in Olly’s entourage outnumbered the protesters by about 3:1 so I’d be surprised if they even caught a glimpse of him.

He really needs to fuck off.

William. Not Olly (who clearly didn’t seem very happy in the London footage, so perhaps William should think on that).

Sorry but this is one of the most boring entries of the whole season
Well quite. It's flaccid shite. Loreen and King K end up in the top two last year and this is all the UK could come up with in response? Also I CAN'T EVEN with those chord progressions in the chorus which even F. Kempe would be ashamed of in this day and age

His mic cut out midway through and he handled it pretty well considering he's yet to have a halfway decent performance live.

The odds feel so stacked against this now. Quite sad given it's clearly in our top 5 songs of the last 23 years.

I really hope he pulls some kind of respectable result together, but my inkling of a Blue style finish is leaning more towards the Javine end of the scale - a decent enough song simply outbopped on the night.

The odds feel so stacked against this now. Quite sad given it's clearly in our top 5 songs of the last 23 years.

I really hope he pulls some kind of respectable result together, but my inkling of a Blue style finish is leaning more towards the Javine end of the scale - a decent enough song simply outbopped on the night.
I'm erring in the same direction as you, which is a shame, but it's impossible to know until we have any idea of the staging, the running order and (crucially) the layering of the vocals. It's a good song, with a great chorus, and still has the potential to go off IF the BBC can get it right on the night.

My advice is to just BLANKA (i.e. pre-record / BV) up that chorus up to the very maximum permitted.

It will be interesting to see if/ what the semi-final performance does for things. I still maintain that a top five entry that isn't one of the favourites and therefore not so well known has a massive disadvantage in the final.

But I'd be happy with a Blue-esque result at this stage. It just seems to be the wrong year for us to pick a bop, really, given the rest out there. Though I'll reserve judgment until after the final, we're still VERY much heading in the right direction- I just hope the result is good enough to keep the momentum going and the right artists willing to play.

I’m surprised at the reaction here considering the pre-party performances have mostly gone down well elsewhere, particularly Amsterdam last weekend.

I’m surprised at the reaction here considering the pre-party performances have mostly gone down well elsewhere, particularly Amsterdam last weekend.
Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of people praising the Amsterdam performance. I’ve not actually watched it because Eurovision 2024 is officially dead to me. The one where he was grumpy is the only performance I’ve actually seen anyone have a problem with.

Agreed. The performances have been good (apart from London where clearly something was wrong). I really like the song but I think a combination of there being no consensus on the quality of the song (a lot of people really dislike it) and collective PTSD amongst UK fans after what happened to Mae last year is making many people cautious, anxious (and possibly both).

Last edited:
Also, if I told you it has more Spotify streams than The Code and Rim Tim Tagi Dim, would you be surprised?

Also, if I told you it has more Spotify streams than The Code and Rim Tim Tagi Dim, would you be surprised?

No, because 'The Code' is not a song. It is an academic construction to show you what their voice can do. It is not something to be streamed, it is something to be understood from an academic perspective.

Perhaps!

But I’m also a (passable) lawyer so I’m not completely thick.

Nothing wrong with being thick, just a matter of where and when 🤷‍♂️🥰

No, I still like this but it doesn't feel like things are pointing in the right direction for Malmö, good song that might not translate into something that capture people's imagination on the night.

Thank you dear! I'm always here if you're ever in a tight spot.

I'm ALWAYS in TIGHT SPOTS... :disco:

Though I forget what kind of LAW you DO, but I doubt it will involve getting me out of a COTTAGING incident (ALLEGED) at the SHEENA MEMORIAL CRUISING GROUND.

I'm ALWAYS in TIGHT SPOTS... :disco:

Though I forget what kind of LAW you DO, but I doubt it will involve getting me out of a COTTAGING incident (ALLEGED) at the SHEENA MEMORIAL CRUISING GROUND.

You need cottaging law expert EMILY THORNBERRY for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom