TV Ratings 2023

Without doubt I'd have thought. It's still getting significant word of mouth, and people who had little to no idea of it (and little interest in news generally) have it all nicely packaged into a TV drama. Even without the repeats I'd expect to see it pass 11m. I don't think 15m is out of the question.

The good thing is ITV seem only too pleased to shout about its success (as well they should), so we ought to find out.

At the moment I believe The Bodyguard is the most viewed drama of the past decade with 15 million. Yes it has been a massive coup for ITV, and I think this will lead to them putting even more money in to drama series as generally they are really very good at them. With viewership like this I would have thought that advertising revenue is not going to be a problem moving forward for the moment either.

It's undoubtedly great for ITV as a whole. Possibly not so good for the soaps specifically though. Advertisers aren't going to be so keen to pay top £££ for ads in Coronation St or Emmerdale if they are getting a fraction of the viewers flagship dramas are.

I imagine big drama shows must be easier for ITV to sell abroad as well.

Unfortunately I think all soaps are going to a be thing of the past in the not so distant future which will leave big scheduling gaps for both broadcasters. I say that on one hand but also can’t take away from the fact that they are consistently in the top 20 most watched programmes each week with Corrie rarely outside the top 10.

Hollyoaks and Casualty are already on borrowed time I would have thought.

Unable to quote the link due to PROHIBITED WEBSITE CONTENT but The Sun is reporting the massive success of The Traitors series 2. It reports around 8.2 million watched the first 3 episodes live. Is that 8.2 million per episode before platform viewing? That is HUGE!

I'm not sure if the platform data would be available yet. I wouldn't be surprised if The Sun hasn't just added together the overnight data for the three shows so far.

I'm not sure if the platform data would be available yet. I wouldn't be surprised if The Sun hasn't just added together the overnight data for the three shows so far.

It says it suggests at least 2 million watched online but data shows that most people wanted to watch live so they can chat about the twists and turns the next day. It’s all quite sketchy to be fair. :D

I thought we would have heard more if it was getting over 8 million per episode, but then 8 million divided by the three weekly episodes sounds far too low so GOD KNOWS.

Thanks. That’s a shame it didn’t find a bigger audience on ITV as it really was good (but perhaps justifies the decision to premiere it on ITVX in the first place).

Agree that those broadcast numbers are disappointing but it does seem like ITVX has been a positive so far in terms of ITV commissioning different kinds of shows.

I thought we would have heard more if it was getting over 8 million per episode, but then 8 million divided by the three weekly episodes sounds far too low so GOD KNOWS.
We know the first episode got 3.1m and the second 2.5m in the overnights. So the third would need to get 2.4m to give a total of 8m, which seems pretty likely to me.

We know the first episode got 3.1m and the second 2.5m in the overnights. So the third would need to get 2.4m to give a total of 8m, which seems pretty likely to me.

That makes sense. It is saying viewing figures are exceeding the season 1 figures and with the supposed 2 million viewers on iplayer then that would mean it is a bit off series one? I shall take it with a pinch of salt and wait and see what the official figures are when you post next weeks ratings as it all seems like a load of hyperbole.

Tonight will be telling for The Traitors after people have binged the first three episodes and it’s not up against Mr. Bates.

That makes sense. It is saying viewing figures are exceeding the season 1 figures and with the supposed 2 million viewers on iplayer then that would mean it is a bit off series one? I shall take it with a pinch of salt and wait and see what the official figures are when you post next weeks ratings as it all seems like a load of hyperbole.
I think there's a fair bit of confusion if not misinformation around viewing figures, what is included in overnights and what isn't. Perhaps hence that deleted tweet about Fool Me Once, and Ag's post about the Christmas EE getting 7m (a figure I also saw posted), when it ended up 1.5 short of that. And now that figure for The Traitors from The Sun which certainly implies 8.2m people are watching it, not a total for three episodes. But I find it VERY hard to imagine it has added at least 5m on catch up. It's still relatively rare for any show to add 3m on catch up over 7 days.

I tend to believe the overnight figure, and then wait for the weekly charts when BARB post them, and take anything else with a pinch of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom