The War in Ukraine

I'm far from an expert in the machinery of war, and I'm aware these Leopard 2 tanks are very specific at busting Russian front lines, but the 100 suggested seems very few, let alone the 30 or so currently on offer.

I guess in my head, how are a few tanks going to going combat hypersonic missiles, but then they're not directly up against each other on the battlefield.

I'm far from an expert in the machinery of war, and I'm aware these Leopard 2 tanks are very specific at busting Russian front lines, but the 100 suggested seems very few, let alone the 30 or so currently on offer.

I guess in my head, how are a few tanks going to going combat hypersonic missiles, but then they're not directly up against each other on the battlefield.
And yet Twitter is already shaking and crying at #WWIII.

Boris is claiming Putin threatened to kill with a missile.

Putin - misunderstood.

The whole last year was just he was charting on airplay alone. Get ready for the streaming effect.

Seriously, the word is he has half a million unwilling conscripts ready to invade.

Zelenskyy really is QUEEN OF PROMO

He's so gonna get the jets from the UK.

More utterly insane Russian state television. This one is worth watching to the end.

”Do we at least have the weather?” :D

Everyone should watch the Jack Ryan TV show on prime (season 3). They pretty much predicted this entire scenario.

Fergie_-_Clumsy.png

I’ve totally changed view when it comes to this, the war is never going to end and the financial sanctions are not enough to break Putin. I think Nato should go all the way and end it by taking back all Ukrainian territory.
Yes, there’s a big risk that it would get much worse, but it will be quicker.

I’ve totally changed view when it comes to this, the war is never going to end and the financial sanctions are not enough to break Putin. I think Nato should go all the way and end it by taking back all Ukrainian territory.
Yes, there’s a big risk that it would get much worse, but it will be quicker.

But that is basically WW3.

probably yes. but who would actively join Russia besides Belarus? China might supply weapons but I don't think they'd engage in open warfare

The USA said they’d never engage in WW2, as did the handful of African countries that got dragged in, and much of Eastern Europe who tried/attempted to remain neutral. unfortunately these things escalate in stages and NATO engagement would be a significant step in escalation. Who knows what China would do if things got worse.

The next thing is if India and Pakistan have to pick a side. Or if Iran decides to take a stake. De-escalation has to be the priority.

I'm pretty sure the plan is to let the war drag out as much as possible and basically just stall until Russia runs out of resources or patience. It keeps the ball in Putin's court, and it's more humiliating.

But that is basically WW3.

Maybe so, but so far Russia’s war machine has proven lacking, to say the least. Of course a full on war would make them mobilise better but they’re no match compared to Nato. It will be painful but quicker.

I feel like it’s only Russia that has benefitted from the WW3 narrative.

China supplying weapons would be very, very bad news, but actually at the moment things are looking relatively OK for the Ukrainians. The winter wasn't as harsh as it could have been, they're managing to hold onto territory that the Russians are desperately trying to take back.

They're far better trained that the Russians, who remain ill-equipped and woefully disorganised, with morale is getting worse by the day as the death tolls pile up. The penny seems to have dropped that the conscripts are being used as cannon fodder to such an extent that even the prisoners being offered amnesty in return for six months of service are outright refusing now. All this plus the Wagner group are pretty much in open revolt against the Russian government due to the mass disorganisation. It's a mess, and all the Russian bluster isn't doing much to cover it...

The next thing is if India and Pakistan have to pick a side. Or if Iran decides to take a stake. De-escalation has to be the priority.

So far most of the world outside Russia and the West seem to have chosen not to get involved, on the contrary they’re only using the opportunity to get cheap Russian gas/oil.

And even countries that are usually Western allies such as Saudi arabia and UAE are refusing to pick side, so I don’t think there’s a reason to fear that the war would spread to other places. The reason why it did so back in WW1 and WW2 was because most of the world was colonized by European powers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom