THE LINE aka Saudi Arabia's 100-mile long linear city

COB

The ⭐ 👹
I've been quietly fascinated by this insane vanity project for a little while, but there's been some new plans unveiled so I was curious to see what people think of it. Basically it's a really long and thin LINEAR CITY that will be built in the desert, with the idea being that everything will be accessible within twenty minutes using light rail. Here's some information from last year:

And here's a new promotional video showing the new addition of mirrored glass on either side, just in case the idea of living inside a narrow line city wasn't dystopian enough:

I'm very curious to see what happens with this, will it ever come to fruition? And if it does, will living in the LINE drive people insane?

Oh yes, and this is just the first stage in plans for a massive new city-state called Neom. Good luck with it!

That Neom is what they’ve been advertising on TV to cunty influencer types haven’t they?

It all stinks of Fire Island but on an (obviously) much grander scale!

Reactions: COB
Dystopian doesn’t even come close :D

He’s unhinged good say the least and some PR and design firms are making a lot of money off of this.

It’s also ugly.

Reactions: COB
The Line looks absolutely miserable. Who on earth would want to live in something like that?

What chance this will go the way of Dubai's 'The World' (presently sinking into the Persian Gulf!)

You can just imagine the rich living on top shitting on the bottom dwellers

Zero carbon print by (on of) the world’s leading oil producer!

I think it looks fantastic from a futuristic visual perspective, but it also looks incredibly claustrophobic.

Oh and glass mirror wall in the middle of the desert?! :shock:

As usual, well done to Western companies on finding new ways of milking out the Gulf states

I think I would go mad. Imagine you want to go for a wander. You have two options, walk up past all the buildings you've seen 6 million times, or down past all the buildings you've seen 6 million times, or throw yourself off the forested roof garden and wait for the desert sun to scorch the flesh from your broken bones.

Can’t wait for 100 miles of this!

Also there’s already a book about this

B3429B15-A8CD-4C0A-A9DC-E2DA92A9257C.jpeg

I saw someone point out on Twitter that with a 100 mile long glass wall, they'll probably need to employ hundreds of people just to dispose of birds that fly into it :shock:

They’ll probably explode from the heat before they get close enough to it

I'd never head of Neom until today. There's a range of grandiose projects planned. Surely none of these are actually going to happen and it's all PR rubbish.

Like their plans to build Trojena, the first Saudi outdoor ski resort in a time of global warming.

My friend lived in Saudi and said the money they are spending on hires for Neom is insane, like 50% market rate

I watched this video about it a while ago, it's quite good - she's an architect and lays out the good and (mostly) bad about the plans:

Isn't this what Americans call a "stroad"? Those don't seem to be very popular there.

I have a friend who lived out in Saudi for years until recently, apparently they were really struggling to find talent to work on this and they were paying well over the going rate to hire at all costs.

Its bound to fail but its interesting to watch.

The ADVANCED PROGESS seems to be a lot diggers moving sand about

Well at least it’s employeeing a shit ton of consultants to do very little and get paid a lot (tbh other than the absurd line, the rest is like regular projects).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom