The further adventures of Jinkx Monsoon

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
...with a brand new show with Major Scales, Jink Monsoon: She's Still Got It

Jinkx Monsoon, fresh off RuPaul's Drag Race all-winners season, makes her Edinburgh Fringe debut with a brand-new show, all to prove: She's. Still. Got it!

It's been nearly a decade since Jinkx hit the global stage and she's excited to show off the talent, wit and humour that's made her the internationally tolerated drag superstar she is today. Prepare for bawdy stories, unique covers and original music from the powerhouse queen and her acclaimed partner pianist Major Scales.

It's Jinkx Monsoon like you've never seen her before: upright and conscious!

Jinkx_Edfringe_Edited(1).jpg

I only saw their previous show Together Again, Again last week and think that was the penultimate show of the tour, although I assume it was COVID related. Even so, to see this brand new show a couple of months later is quite something. I'm not going to Edinburgh, but I fully imagine this will tour later in the year or next year. She clearly loves the UK anyway, and having a British husband probably doesn't harm her frequency of touring here.

I'll be all over it if it does tour - The Vaudevillians and Together Again, Again are the best drag or cabaret shows I've ever seen.

Oh my god I have to go, and anyone not from round here really should consider it as The Fringe is a wonderful experience to charge through all the shows - just go to as many as you can and you'll soon suss what's your thing. Jinkx will surely he a genuine standout.

Forgot to add

6 - 21 August Assembly George Square Gardens - Spiegeltent Palais Du Variete

Oh my god I have to go, and anyone not from round here really should consider it as The Fringe is a wonderful experience to charge through all the shows - just go to as many as you can and you'll soon suss what's your thing. Jinkx will surely he a genuine standout.
I went many years ago with a friend who was stage managing a production of Private Peaceful there, just her and the actor (Paul Chequer who used to be in As If). I was lucky enough to stay for free in the huge flat they'd been given, and while they were tied up in their production, I just wandered from show to show for the time I was there - I think about 5 days or so. A lot of shows I could get free tickets for, and they were the ones I used for shows I'd otherwise never consider buying a ticket for, in random gardens, back yards and pubs, as well as the more typical headlining comedy shows. It really was the most perfect few days amd I've always said I'd go back, but I remain slightly scared that the circumstances of the first time were too perfect and a repeat visit where I don't have such a charmed time would disappoint.

If I was local I'd be there all the time though.

I used to write for a Fringe newspaper and had 3 years of seeing multiple shows per day. You get some amazing musicals (and also the really bad ones, which sometimes deliver in different ways of course), those were always my favourite.

I used to write for a Fringe newspaper and had 3 years of seeing multiple shows per day. You get some amazing musicals (and also the really bad ones, which sometimes deliver in different ways of course), those were always my favourite.
It's blissful, if you're into that kind of thing. I remember going to shows at 10am and then keeping going on through until 10pm, and just weaving in and out of pubs and cafes or doing touristy stuff in the odd hours in between. The vibe was like nothing I'd experienced before or since.

Reactions: dUb
Really hope this tours

She (and Major) really are a tour de force de cabaret!

The Vaudevillians was amazing.

She's been here twice. Although we get plenty of Drag Race girls these days, it was pretty special at the time.

I really want to see her again. Surely no queen can do better than what she does live. Her currently smashing the winners season is NO GREAT SHOCK. I need to see her with Bendela as well.

Although I fully expect to miss this current tour (maybe I already have).

I'd rank Jinkx ahead too. Bianca is good in her lane, and obviously a big live draw, but I think she's taken her schtick about as far as she's going to at this point. Jinkx is ten years in and still very much on the rise :disco:

Bianca can embody Joan Rivers for the rest of her life and live very comfortably. Jinkx getting Chicago really puts her into the top tier breaking out of RPDR league with Bianca, Shangela and Trixie.

Bob, Alaska and Katya also up there, but haven't had the big bookings, like those four. Have any of the queens from more recent seasons made any notable breakthroughs?

Bob also has We’re Here.

I’m terms of money I believe Trixie does very well between the music, the motel, the makeup. She’s the one who feels the most like a business.

Bianca seems to have chosen a lane and is not interested in going further.

Jinkx and Dela I feel will be around for a long time, there’s a lot of creativity.

Alaska doesn’t seem to have done much lately. Maybe because I no longer listen to the podcast but she’s not broken through the mainstream.

Trixie and Bianca have both done arena tours in the UK, right? I did notice Trixie's got AWFUL reviews though :basil:

Jinkx and Dela do theatres I believe, but then that's a much more suitable venue for their act. I imagine all of the above are set for life, but Jinkx is the one I could see continuing to surprise us and ascend to new heights, rather than play to the faithful for the next few decades. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Shangela obviously has a good profile too - pops up on non-drag race TV a lot, did Dancing With The Stars this year, A Star Is Born etc...

That wasn’t my point.

Because no way is she more successful than Bianca at this point…
Ag said Jinkx was the greatest queen, not the most successful. You said she was second to Bianca . I don't think she's second to Bianca as the greatest queen.

Sasha Velour also does large theatre tours of the UK.

Last edited:
Oh, this isn't quite what I'd hoped. Totally going if she brings it here, though.

Quite a few queens have been getting news interviews due to the new draconian anti-drag laws in Tennesse. Jinkx was on ABC this week falling out of her chair, but also being typically on point.

I just texted my Who Nerd friend (who also watches Drag Race) and he's convinced she's going to play The Master, whatever that means.

I don't watch it, but would for Jinkx. I had assumed she was destined for a decent TV gig for a while, but this is JUST SO ON POINT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom