Star Trek: Picard

I know you could say it's lazy nostalgia bait, but everything with the BIG D was just so so perfect to me. I mean just look at it!
gZcZKPB.jpg

YjSWZzX.jpg

C5W73zc.jpg

I had sort of expected some of the other museum ships to be in play (maybe they could've had Seven on Voyager and Worf on the Defiant), but I can't imagine these recreated bridge sets are cheap so maybe not :D

Yeah it was pretty sweet to see them back on board, even if dropping all the non-enterprise people just beforehand was a bit lazy.

Pretty wholesome and excellent episode really, even though I'd predicted the villian the outcome was incredible.

The episode was just so cinematic and it paid so much reverence to the core TNG cast (as it should have) in a way that the movies NEVER did.

Presumably pretty minor spoiler in this article, regarding something we'll see next week:
"It is Alice Krige as the Borg Queen. You will see in the finale, though, it is voiced by Alice Krige, but the Borg Queen does not look good when you see her. Janeway did a number on them the last time we saw them, and there's a reason she needs Jack."

I love the idea that Future Janeway fucked them up THAT MUCH in the Voyager finale :D :disco: I also assume that this is also at least partially down to 68 year-old Alice Krige possibly not being up for the heavy prosthetics again, which is fair enough honestly! Interesting that it seems the business with the Agnes Borg faction last season might at least get referenced, so far nearly everything from the last two seasons has been either retconned or played down (usually with good reason tbh).

It's a really bittersweet feeling for me. As a huge TNG fan, I never expected the cast ever to return to the roles but now they have, I dearly want to see even more of them - and that ship!

Realistically though, I realise it's not particularly feasible.

Reactions: COB
I do think that the fan reception to this season will end up giving us SOMETHING new in this time period, though it may not happen immediately - I keep thinking about Strange New Worlds, which was basically the exact same situation in terms of being demanded by the fanbase and eventually becoming a real thing.

I think the most realistic thing would be a series set on the Titan, with Seven as captain and the occasional TNG/DS9/Voyager cast cameo. I'd be more than happy with that, particularly if it follows the SNW model of being more episodic/less serialised.

Gutted they killed Shaw off though. Honestly he was the best "new" character from all three seasons of Picard (save maybe for Rios).

Something that would really help any new series would be if they could move production to Toronto, where the other Trek shows are made - Picard was produced in LA largely due to Patrick Stewart's availability I believe, but they'd save quite a bit of cash doing it in Canada AND they'd have access to the Volume technology that both Discovery and SNW have used to great effect (Paramount don't have one in LA apparently :shock:)

Gutted they killed Shaw off though. Honestly he was the best "new" character from all three seasons of Picard (save maybe for Rios).
Yes, I wonder if they anticipated just how popular he would be! Interestingly Terry Matalas has said that he's had a good idea for bringing him back if they ever wanted to... if Seven used her nanoprobes to revive him it could potentially create some good drama given his history with the Borg (and there was a Voyager episode where she did something similar, to Neelix unfortunately :().

It would've probably not been worth it in terms of budget, but I'd have LOVED one or two of the Rios holograms to pop up in the early episodes when Raffi was still using La Sirena.

Speaking of the pre-S3 cast, I think any epilogue scenes in the next episode really SHOULD have nu-Data meeting Soji.

Yeah, I think Soji's character was actually ok and it seems strange that there has been no reference to her at all in relation to Data.

Having said all that, in retrospect, seasons 1 and 2 really should have told more personal, Earth based sci-fi stories in relation to Picard growing older (in the vein of the best written TNG episodes). No Borg, no Data and little space travel. It would have made the return of the Borg and Data in Season 3 so much more impactful.

It seems to have had a VERY positive reception! I also noticed today that it's currently the top of most popular on Prime Video, which is hopefully a good sign.

My Trekker friend thinks it’s awful (and has many specific critiques) but I’m really enjoying it

My Trekker friend thinks it’s awful (and has many specific critiques) but I’m really enjoying it
Those really vocal Trekkers (thank heavens the internet wasn't around when TNG first aired) are sad cases anyway.

ALERT

the deep amber alert GIF by The Deep (Series)

This is available in the US now (and the IMAX cinema screenings have happened) so spoilers WILL be out there, be careful today :shock:

I wasn’t too impressed by the finale

The implication that we should give a FLYING FUCK about Jack when he never existed before this season and isn’t really likeable in any way whatsoever… lol

And I absolutely do not want to see whatever that mid-credits scene was setting up. Retreading old and recently treaded ground YET AGAIN

Worf falling asleep was very funny

It was nice to see them have one last adventure and there were some very cool shots

And look I know I’ve been banging on about it for ages but the DS9 exclusion is really shitty

REALLY shitty

Intensely cheesy, hokey writing, character development at the expense of plot - all of which was conveniently tied up but FRANKLY I WOULDNT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!

Fucking loved it! Fitting send off.

I can see if you're a DS9 fan (I am one) why you would feel aggrieved and tbh there were too many callbacks to Voyager than were necessary but TNG was my baby and frankly I couldn't give a fuck.

Reactions: dUb
Jack is alright I suppose - I just appreciate his connection to two characters I absolutely love.

Also Jeri Ryan is still young enough to viably feature in a prospective spin off whereas the DS9 regulars are all older like the TNG bunch.

I mean the entire plot hinged on villains introduced in DS9 (until they sort of forgot about them after episode 8 :D ) so it wasn't a COMPLETE shut out.

I kind of felt like episode 9 was the real finale.

This was good but other than saving the world everything was kind of already perfectly wrapped up!

But what a FANTASTIC series. Really got me so excited about the franchise again.

Have they confirmed a new series with Seven as Captain? I am very here for it, and also for a Janeway role in it please. She MUST go see her original mentor.

• Love
I'd be happy with a Seven-led spinoff. Even if that means Jack Crusher is there. Why are all the Crusher children so dislikable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom