Star Trek: Picard

Back to this though and I can't stress just how much I love the cast of TNG. They are probably my favourite ensemble of all time. The show hit at just the right time in my childhood that I don't think I hold any other group of actors (Frasier included) as dear.

The poker scene was EVERYTHING. apparently Matalas filmed 45 minutes of footage just in Ten Forward.

I could have just had an hour of interaction and NO plot.

Star Trek Voyager GIF

I mean the entire plot hinged on villains introduced in DS9 (until they sort of forgot about them after episode 8 :D ) so it wasn't a COMPLETE shut out.
That just makes it worse! They took the plot device from DS9 without giving the series anything beyond a 2-second shot of the Defiant and a vague allusion to Odo in return

Apparently the villains were initially going to be the bugs from this episode, but they realised it meant anyone controlled by them would have to die so they came up with the rogue changeling faction instead.

I'll be honest, I was initially a bit annoyed about the lack of DS9 stuff but I think I've come around on it now I've seen the whole season and the story they wanted to tell. If any DS9 character appeared there would be the expectation that we'd get an update on the situation in that part of the galaxy, and I'm not sure I want that dashed off in a few lines or as an aside. I want it done justice to, with a lot of thought given to what's gone on with the various factions in the intervening years... it deserves more than to be the side story in a TNG reunion series.

• Care
Reactions: dUb
My dream is that any future series in this time period would move away from the Picard/Discovery style of season-long plots and be more episodic like SNW is, and they see the value in giving us an episode that examines the legacy of the Dominion War, preferably with one or more of the DS9 writers on board and proper guest-starring roles (not just cameos) from whoever wants to return.

Reactions: dUb
As for the Picard finale, I fucking LOVED it so much :love: I did have some minor quibbles, but it really was just so lovely seeing everyone having the time of their lives and getting to end their stories on a much better note than they had before.

I don't really care what Eddie says, one of the standout moments for me was between Tuvok and Seven. Absolutely beautiful to see them together again.

Last edited:
I did actually like Voyager (apart from duff characters like Neelix and Kes) but I preferred DS9 overall.

That said, I favoured Janeway over Sisko.

Changed my avatar to appreciate our second female Enterprise captain. Truly the TERRI MAY of Starfleet :shock:

The Borg Queen looking like some sort of ridiculous Final Fantasy boss growing out of the wall was so fantastic, I keep thinking about it.

With that mid-credits scene did they officially retcon EVERYTHING from season two? Q isn't actually dead, the Agnes Borg are out there but nobody talks about it, any of the other characters are just fully persona non grata (or DEAD)... poor old Raffi was very lucky to even get an invite to this season, in retrospect :eyes:

Rios falling in love with that lady and deciding to stay in the past (just a decade or so before the start of a third world war that kills BILLIONS and he literally knew was coming) was honestly such a choice. What a ridiculous season of television!

I did wonder about this while watching, and thought it might have just been a bigger cube than we'd seen before. But no:

That's very neat.

On Friday I was satisfied that this was a fitting send off for our heroes and I didn't actually feel too bad about it and though I still think it was a perfect way to end TNG, I'm beginning to feel sad that all seven of them won't grace the screen together again (I expect a few cameos here and there if Legacy does end up happening).

I'd love to see the actors do something together outside of Star Trek. As far as I know, I think they did something on stage in the 90s or Noughties.

Reactions: COB
Rios falling in love with that lady and deciding to stay in the past (just a decade or so before the start of a third world war that kills BILLIONS and he literally knew was coming) was honestly such a choice. What a ridiculous season of television!
On reflection, Season Two was a monumental waste of time. The creation of that stupid faction of the Borg, Q's death, Picard's retcon of his family history and his romance with Laris (sorry but her appearance as a different but same character in the past completely killed any affection I might have had for the character), and Rios's silly conclusion - all terrible storylines.

After watching this season of Picard it has made me realise how bad everything that came before it was.

Nepenthe was a highlight of the first season and it's because it featured more of the original cast.. It seems to me that Patrick Stewart never truly understood that what made TNG so special was that a) Picard was never an action hero (nor was the show about that) and b) it was always about the ensemble, not just his character alone.

On reflection, Season Two was a monumental waste of time. The creation of that stupid faction of the Borg, Q's death, Picard's retcon of his family history and his romance with Laris (sorry but her appearance as a different but same character in the past completely killed any affection I might have had for the character), and Rios's silly conclusion - all terrible storylines.

After watching this season of Picard it has made me realise how bad everything that came before it was.
I really don't know what they think they were doing there, for the most part. There are things I enjoyed, but looking at it as a whole and particularly with hindsight having seen s3 it really was quite a huge waste wasn't it :(

I've been imagining the version of Picard we could've got if things had been more thought through and joined up across the whole thing, with the stuff that worked from season one giving way to a longer/more developed version of this season's plot (and maybe some other stuff - like revisiting DS9 properly - filling the gaps). Having basically a different showrunner each season really didn't help the show, it reminds me of the Star Wars sequel trilogy where each film set things up then the next one threw it away because a different person was in charge (except in this case the final chapter was good rather than awful :tongueout:)

I also forgot about Brent Spiner's appearance as an ancestor of Soong and that storyline with his daughter. It was beginning to test my patience but at least he restored my faith in Season 3.

It's weird that S2 and S3 were essentially filmed at the same time, it's not like someone realised S2 was a bit crap and decided to go in a different direction.

I also forgot about Brent Spiner's appearance as an ancestor of Soong and that storyline with his daughter. It was beginning to test my patience but at least he restored my faith in Season 3.
You made the point earlier in the thread but imagine if we'd had a season without any Brent Spiner, or Borg stuff. It would've given things this season so much more impact!

They were filmed back to back, no? I think the change in showrunner explains it all.

Goldsman is responsible for rubbish modern Trek, isn't he?

It's weird that S2 and S3 were essentially filmed at the same time, it's not like someone realised S2 was a bit crap and decided to go in a different direction.
It is a bit weird! I think the difference is that Terry Matalas was fully in charge for s3, whereas in s2 he was co-showrunner (with Akiva Goldsman) but apparently didn't have much involvement in planning out the story for the season as he was focusing on s3. He did write the first two episodes of s2, which were probably the best ones (ie before they went to the other universe/back in time).

You made the point earlier in the thread but imagine if we'd had a season without any Brent Spiner, or Borg stuff. It would've given things this season so much more impact!
I do appreciate Stewart's perspective on doing something different (but certainly not on what ultimately made the TNG movies largely disappointing - that Picard should somehow become an action hero) - though he contradicted himself by accepting a story set in space with characters out of uniform and behaving in a very unfamiliar way and having Brent Spiner feature in a fairly large capacity.

Why set it in space at all? The character was long out of Starfleet. You can still tell character driven Sci-Fi stories on Earth. TNG was good at examining the human condition. Why not do that as an older Picard as he struggles to come to terms with his legacy and mistakes of the past?

Ultimately I think Patrick Stewart does need to take some of the blame for the inconsistencies of the previous seasons. Kurtsman and Goldsman though should take the brunt of it though because clearly they never understood what TNG or indeed Star Trek was about.

My one bugbear with Season 3 is the lack of resolution between Picard and Crusher. The character clearly had a thing for her throughout TNG and it's made clear that he was devestated when she disappeared from his life (though we still don't know what happened and when it happened - she left for Star Fleet medical at the end of Nemesis), yet there is no scene that hints at that emotional connection.

I can't even tell if they're meant to be together at the end.

I think with Picard and Crusher it was clear they were fond of each other, but it's been such a long time since they had romantic feelings that it just needed to stay in the past. I'm glad they didn't get some big Hollywood love ending - realistically they are like a lot of exes who have a child together, they can get along and even be friends without getting romantic.

I wasn't looking for anything romantic but some sort of scene that recognised that they had sired a child when they were once an item would have helped.

Our TERRY on what we might expect from Star Trek: Legacy if it ever goes into production

It’s about Seven of Nine. It’s about Jack Crusher. It’s about the La Forge sisters. It’s about what else is going on in the galaxy with the Deep Space Nine characters and the rest of the Voyager characters… Honestly, some of these [TNG characters], I’m not ready to say goodbye to. I think in a lot of ways, Jonathan Frakes, LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden, they’ve never been better. They are at the top of their game and I want to see more.

Donald Trump Applause GIF

In her recent chat with Terry, it does come across as if something has been informally promised.

Her son is on the ship. If it does go to series, I'd hope they wouldn't forget that.

Love this so much:
The largest-ever collection of iconic Star Trek digital archive works will be made available for free for the first time through a new web portal bridging the legacies of all three major eras of Roddenberry's Star Trek, with help from stars William Shatner (Star Trek) and John DeLancie (Star Trek: The Next Generation), as well as showrunner, writer and EP Terry Matalas (Star Trek: Picard).
This combined documentary and exploratory online experience brings the legacy and history of the starship Enterprise to life through meticulous recreations of the filming sets used for production as well as the aforementioned "in-universe" life size, functional immersive virtual interiors. The recreations were produced for the Gene Roddenberry Estate, and overseen by veteran Star Trek artists including Denise and Michael Okuda, who authored The Star Trek Encyclopedia, as well as Daren Dochterman, Doug Drexler and Dave Blass.
[Majel] voiced the Enterprise computer for decades. In 2008, before she left us, she meticulously recorded her voice phonetically, with the intent to preserve it for some future technology to bring it back to life. We waited 15 years, and today I am so proud to have her voice, just as I remember it, welcoming visitors to the Roddenberry Archive portal."
I knew about the archive of Majel's voice, but it's great that they're finally doing something with it (as per her wishes when she was alive). There's also this really cool video, which is based on one of William Shatner's novels:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom