Shinzo Abe DEAD

What a terrible thing to happen :( I saw a photo of the alleged weapon - it looks like a makeshift shotgun with wires coming out of it, quite crazy.

I think our new Chancellor just assumed he would have in the time it took him to write this tweet

FXISD1jWQAAN9Ky

Jesus at that gun. One has to assume that you're far more likely to blow your own hands off than to hurt whoever you're pointing it at.

a saw a video, it sounded like a small cannon and had lots of smoke. proper dystopian looking contraption

But yeah really shocking, I mean he was right-wing but I never hear people really talk about politics that much here, young people aren’t that engaged and old people are conservative anyway so why complain?

In Nara of all places too, that’s like being assassinated in Wiltshire

Somehow the homemade gun-making crackpot seems more believable here than an actual gun too. The Japanese loons are scarily creative in their murder methods

What’s the reaction like in Japan, @Diddy?

You know, they don’t like it :o

Tbh I haven’t had a chance to talk to anyone about it, except my old friend visiting whose hometown is very close to that area, so he’s shocked, but he didn’t talk much about it

But yeah really shocking, I mean he was right-wing but I never hear people really talk about politics that much here, young people aren’t that engaged and old people are conservative anyway so why complain?

In Nara of all places too, that’s like being assassinated in Wiltshire
Poisoning is a bit more Wiltshire.

Somehow the homemade gun-making crackpot seems more believable here than an actual gun too. The Japanese loons are scarily creative in their murder methods

I would support this statement based on decades of watching Meitantei Conan.

Now confirmed dead (by someone other than Nadhim Zahawi).

This is a genuinely shocking event. Who was the last major world leader to be assassinated?

:(

He’s the only world leader I’ve ever seen in person.

Surprisingly down to Earth, etc (I forgot the rest of that trope)

Anyway that would be shocking in any country (well most countries) but gun crime is so rare, political violence is so rare… and he’s like a major prime minister - they’ve had a revolving door of them over the last decade or so, and he’s the only one with real longevity.

It’s like someone suddenly gunning down Thatcher. But more sad

he was indeed the longest sitting PM and if he hadn't stepped down due to health reasons he probably would've held office for much longer

Any idea on a motive yet? What would the beef be with an ex-leader? It's like someone gunning down Gordon Brown.

Any idea on a motive yet? What would the beef be with an ex-leader? It's like someone gunning down Gordon Brown.

nothing other than a confession and "unhappy" with his politics or somesuch

could be many things. the whole Yasukuni debacle, revision of the constitution, his affiliation with the far-right Nippon Kaigi...

He didn’t actually manage to revise the constitution did he?

Mind you, gunning down the person who wanted to change the pacifist status of the constitution isn’t a very pacifist way of going about things

forgot an 'attempt' there

while Abe was definitely more palatable than his peers to the public eye (unlike that fuck up Taro Aso), his Nippon Kaigi commitment always struck me as kind of sinister. I mean they basically want to bring back an armed, Imperial Japan

This doesn't even make the front page on BBC news? There's the leadership race as the top story, and there rest are: Summer will be hot, Petrol is expensive, Energy is also expensive, Prince Harry suing the Mail.

This doesn't even make the front page on BBC news? There's the leadership race as the top story, and there rest are: Summer will be hot, Petrol is expensive, Energy is also expensive, Prince Harry suing the Mail.
9617B45F-7D64-4444-9628-ECB065D7F089.png

But seriously, this is shocking. I thought it might have been a Chinese nationalist but it appears it was someone local to the area.

How weird, NOTHING on mine. Maybe they thought the story wouldn’t be relevant to a Japanese viewer.

Now BREAKING: Starmer cleared of “Beergate”

This will be a regional thing possibly? If you have a VPN, try setting it to the UK and then visit bbc.co.uk (not .com as it changes to when you visit from abroad).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom