Paramount+

COB

The ⭐ 👹
I figured this was worth a thread, as there is finally a date for this service launching in the UK:

It's getting to the point that I don't immediately know what content will be on which streaming service, but as someone who enjoys both Drag Race and Star Trek I will probably end up subscribing to this :o

Also mentioned in the article - Queen of the Universe has been renewed for a second season :shock:

This sounds appalling/amazing :D
All Star Shore – a competition docu-series that will feature 14 of reality TV's most iconic stars from around the world and television's biggest series – including Jersey Shore Family Vacation, Love is Blind, RuPaul's Drag Race, Geordie Shore, Acapulco Shore, Bachelor in Paradise and more – as they come together for an epic vacation at the ultimate Shore house in Gran Canaria, Spain, to battle it out for the grand prize and global bragging rights.

It’s just getting to be too much. There are some stuff on there I want to watch but I already have Netflix, Disney+, Prime, Hayu, Crave/HBO and Apple TV+

I probably should cancel some of them as it is.

Reactions: COB
Am I right that it wouldn’t be the main Drag Race, just All Stars etc.?

I've been thinking about it, and of all of them it's probably Netflix that I'll give the chop. Ironic as they really created this model, but I've realised I hardly ever watch any of their original content.

Am I right that it wouldn’t be the main Drag Race, just All Stars etc.?
I believe that's what they've said (with the main series staying on WOW+ in the UK), but I really wouldn't be surprised if they go back on that once this service launches here.

I've been thinking about it, and of all of them it's probably Netflix that I'll give the chop. Ironic as they really created this model, but I've realised I hardly ever watch any of their original content.

Same, except that my mom use my account as well. Prime is also kinda crap but you get the delivery with it.

HBO and Apple TV are where most of the good stuff is and Disney+ for the junky Marvel shows and the FX/Hulu shows (although the FX stuff get released months later).

I know it’s the topic de jour but Netflix really shot themselves in the foot with insisting on dropping shows all at once. Barely anything gets any attention (apart from the very big shows). They made themselves synonyms with either junk or too long shows.

1. HBO Max
2. Hulu (for the FX shows)
3. Apple TV
4. Netflix
5. Amazon Prime (I hate the interface though)

I cancelled my Paramount plus and I'll sign up again for the next season of Big Brother probably

I cancelled my Paramount plus and I'll sign up again for the next season of Big Brother probably
Paramount really needs to just fold Showtime into its streaming portfolio rather than offering it as an add on, I’ve read speculation that this could happen so fingers crossed it happens soon (as I’d quite like to watch Yellowjackets without resorting to 🏴‍☠️)

FFS, this will just mean the licenses for existing Paramount content on Amazon/Netflix etc. will expire and go to that. Then that just dilutes the value of the other services so will push more people to go back to pirating.

Yep, the glorious streaming future is basically ending up with people having to subscribe to different channels again :tongueout:

It really is all getting a bit MUCH

I only have Netflix and Amazon (for the delivery), as well as Sky.

I see Sky are offering Paramount+ for free for their Cinema subscribers (of which I am not one). They seem to be trying to set themselves as a platform to access all the various services. I get Netflix from them at a discount and I was emailed with Apple free for three months.

When HBO Max launches in the UK the Sky drama offering will presumably be severely hit.

Sky really are gonna have a black hole on their channels without HBO. They must have some kind of plan, NOW is even more reliant on HBO.

You can get a code for a one month trial of this from packs of Quavers at the moment :o I'm quite sorted for streaming stuff but I might redeem it just for a look at what they've got.

No I'm sorry but there really are too many streaming services now. Everyone needs to just ignore this one until it goes away

(And Quavers are RANK.)

I'm glad that Prodigy is at least getting the chance to be shopped to other networks (and presumably it'll at least get released physically even if nobody else bites), the first season was really good fun.

Apparently they released all the remaining episodes of Queen of the Universe (about half of the current season) as a JOB LOT so they could bin them in a few days' time. What a mess :( I'm guessing that like the HBO Max stuff a few months ago there's some sort of tax benefit to them doing this?

Apparently they released all the remaining episodes of Queen of the Universe (about half of the current season) as a JOB LOT so they could bin them in a few days' time. What a mess :( I'm guessing that like the HBO Max stuff a few months ago there's some sort of tax benefit to them doing this?

It costs money to keep these things online, as you still have to pay residuals to the creatives. Taking it off completely means there's no more payments to make.

If hosting a show isn't causing people to subscribe (assuming there's no ad revenue component, which I don't think Paramount Plus has), it's financially more pruden to take it off.

I'm glad that Prodigy is at least getting the chance to be shopped to other networks (and presumably it'll at least get released physically even if nobody else bites), the first season was really good fun.
How is this possible though? Isn't Trek a CBS/Paramount property?

How is this possible though? Isn't Trek a CBS/Paramount property?
It is, but if they don't want to (or can't afford to) spend the money to produce a show, they can just licence it out and take a fee for that.

Sony don't have a streaming service, so do this for everything they deem not to be worth a cinema release.

It costs money to keep these things online, as you still have to pay residuals to the creatives. Taking it off completely means there's no more payments to make.

If hosting a show isn't causing people to subscribe (assuming there's no ad revenue component, which I don't think Paramount Plus has), it's financially more pruden to take it off.
It makes sense from their perspective but it just seems so GRIM :( These companies convinced people to abandon physical media and owning anything, then they start doing things like this just so they don't have to pay royalties. I suppose the streaming bubble waa always going to burst eventually, and there'll probably be a lot more of this kind of thing coming.

It makes sense from their perspective but it just seems so GRIM :( These companies convinced people to abandon physical media and owning anything, then they start doing things like this. I suppose the streaming bubble waa always going to burst eventually, and there'll probably be a lot more of this kind of thing coming.
A lot more I think.

There's so many shows in that past that have been cancelled after 6 episodes, despite entire series being filmed, that have never seen the light of day or have disappeared since. I know the dream / promise was that streaming would put paid to all that, but the inevitable implosion of the financial model just was not viable. If post-writers strike creatives are paid entirely up front so there is no back-end, I can see platforms being happier to keep hosting stuff. I doubt that will be the outcome though, the WGA wants the old model (being paid for success) to be recreated in a model where viewership is far less important than maintain or growing a subscriber base.

One of these shows already has a new home, at least:

The golden age for epic, expensive tv shows is said to be over due to higher interest rates and inflation, so I guess there will be more shitty, cheap to produce reality shows and less shows like Sucession and Game of Thrones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom