Neighbours D̶E̶A̶D̶ ALIVE!

I've done the first 45 episodes in about a week, so by that rate it should only take about 4 years!
I’ve done 11 years worth of Eastenders since 2020! But granted for a chunk of that time there were only 2 episodes per week so you could get through months worth very quickly.

Toadie has moved on to....The Masked Singer (Oz). First out apparently:

Right Mel, so while I was either studying for my final year of A Levels, or first year at Uni, you were tricking your mum into letting you off school (no doubt Primary) in order to watch Toadfish in Neighbours. :eyes:

I've done the first 45 episodes in about a week, so by that rate it should only take about 4 years!
Hah, fair! I think you just have to be REALLY KEEN, I mean even putting aside half an hour a day (per the original pace) is a fair chunk of spare time.

Hah, fair! I think you just have to be REALLY KEEN, I mean even putting aside half an hour a day (per the original pace) is a fair chunk of spare time.

They're only 20 minutes long if you skip the recap. You can get 6 episodes done in a couple of hours!

I don't intend watching the whole series though, I get bored pretty quickly!

Given that I hadn't really seen Neighbours properly in decades, I was surprised to discover that in 2016 they brought back the actress who originally played Zoe (remember her?) in the late 80's to play the mother of Paul's eldest child who was played by someone else in 1988. :o Funny too because Paul had a thing for Zoe when she was in it.

Turns out the actress is also something of a part time pop star in Australia.

Last edited:
She also starred in Sons and Daughters if anyone remembers her in that.

and Wentworth.

They so should have brought her back as Zoe... especially as they brought back a much lesser character, Kim Taylor, as the mother of Paul's twin sons.

For those rewatching from the beginning you may be interested in this podcast from someone who's doing just that.

She's a friend of Ig's and mine and is as a comedy writer. Having read and heard lots of her stuff over years I assume this will be very good!

I remember a few years back being totally MESMERED as she explained to a room full of people the Dee/Angela/Fake Dee storyline... I may have come away more clueless than when she'd started, but I enjoyed the story telling?

Up to about episode 6 and actually kind of addicted already. Seemingly another family I think the girl is of Asian origins? Her mother is a bitch which puts her in a lengthening list with Julie, Lorraine (Des's wife not-to-be, lucky escape) and Max (the shouty abusive bastard, kill him off when?)

I never understood the Robinsons/Daniels family before and still don't. I always thought Jim was married to Helen but seemingly not as they're a generation apart and Julie fits in somewhere (I didn't know her before the 90s one) but also not as Jim's wife and the kid(s) fit in somewhere. I'm lost. I need to google the family tree.

Max was such a horrible, horrible character.

And Des' wife not to be, dreadful! The mother was quite fond of Des though.

Now here:

Enjoying this, thanks for sharing.

Well, mostly enjoying it. I didn't enjoy hearing that Old Jim is 38, 2 years younger than I am now D:

Exactly, when it comes to Max :D Guy who does who-knows-what other than standing around shouting and emotionally abusing his son.

I actually would rather avoid spoilers (except obvious stuff like "Scott and Charlene get married") in case I find a way to whiz through the episodes but am quietly hoping that Danny finally flips and murders his dad.

That podcast is great btw but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with it beyond when it has finished covering the late 80s.

On a related note, I love this little clip from the Golden tour in Leeds where Kylie acknowledged the show:

They barely had any scenes together.
It’s said that he visited her alone once and he’s very casual about reminding her. If they had sex (and surely that would be a crime since isn’t she about 15?), he’d certainly have been panicking and wondering if he was the father.

I don't think it's ever established, properly at least, how old Paul is meant to be in the opening episodes. There are some references to him being at uni but I think Stefan Dennis was mid to late 20s at the time so regardless, that retcon is VERY dubious.

I've stopped watching them now anyway. Didn't think I could keep it up.

I’m on episode 63. It’s been quite quick and I even have the audio of the videos on when travelling to and from the office. My current aim is to stop when Jane and Mike leave, but for now enjoying the early ones from before I remember it.

My current aim is to stop when Jane and Mike leave, but for now enjoying the early ones from before I remember it.
That's pretty much when my interest starting drifting the first time around.

I’m on episode 63. It’s been quite quick and I even have the audio of the videos on when travelling to and from the office. My current aim is to stop when Jane and Mike leave, but for now enjoying the early ones from before I remember it.
You could start watching PRISONER once you finished with Neighbours :disco:

You could start watching PRISONER once you finished with Neighbours :disco:
I watched all of that in the 90s when Channel 5 showed them from the start. It was odd because ITV were still showing later episodes at the same time.

Reactions: COB
For me Neighbours was only essential viewing in the 80s. I definitely watched it lots after that but more out of habit than anything.

Early Neighbours really went through these side characters like wildfire. They’ll have some character swoop in and dominate a story for anywhere between 2-10 episodes and then never be seen again.

It was a smaller primary cast in those days which is why they needed supporting characters to come in and create tension.

I wouldn't describe Eileen as a side character though. Myra De Groot was a great actress.

It was a smaller primary cast in those days which is why they needed supporting characters to come in and create tension.

I wouldn't describe Eileen as a side character though. Myra De Groot was a great actress.
It’s more the 1985 episodes with Helen’s old flame with money troubles, that boy who Jim nearly runs over and then gets killed the next episode, Des meeting a woman through an agency, getting engaged to her and then breaking it off within a couple of weeks, and that girl who dates Danny and Scott at the same time and then flies back to Brisbane when she’s found out.

So Helen Daniels (the matriarch of the family who everyone always goes to for personal advice, and almost always manages to sort out situations with pragmatic, peaceful solutions) has a whole sister whom she hasn't spoken to for decades because she took the fall for stealing something at school. Sister then waltzes in, apologises and is forgiven, then is NEVER SEEN AGAIN :D

So Helen Daniels (the matriarch of the family who everyone always goes to for personal advice, and almost always manages to sort out situations with pragmatic, peaceful solutions) has a whole sister whom she hasn't spoken to for decades because she took the fall for stealing something at school. Sister then waltzes in, apologises and is forgiven, then is NEVER SEEN AGAIN :D
This was Nikki's mother, no?

You can tell a different production company had taken over on episode 171 - It's like watching a different show! I'm kind of missing the innocence of the earlier episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom