Mariah Carey - Butterfly

Spread your wings and prepare to fly...

• Total voters

Funky

User
This one might create HOT TOPIC

Watch all the lambs, erm, FLOCK :basil:

Hopefully other Mariah albums will follow and we can compare the scores. Cos many people consider this her best moment and last great album. OTHERS disagree entirely.

Hmmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
You know Lou I was REALLY TORN

I think it's a 9.5 but I JUST COULDN'T BRING MYSELF to give it a 10

I mean it contains "Babydoll" for STARTERS

Her only GREAT GREAT GREAT album...an 8.5 for me, let down by a couple of DRIPPY BITS

It's £3 in FOPP

Which is handy for me since I broke my other copy from INCESSANT OVERPLAY

I would rate the songs

But let's just say my only non-10s are Fourth of July and Babydoll (5 and 6 respectively) and Outside (8)

I was just watching The Roof video - I wish she would make more 'dark' sounding music. I love her campy fun hip-hop stuff, but this was the only album where she actually made serious and semi-credible music

LOVES IT

It's the only album where she got the perfect balance between the R&B/Hip hop direction she longed for, whilst retaining the pop leanings that propelled her career.

The opening six tracks are almost immaculate. The sound of an artist on the top of her game. That includes "Fourth Of July" which I am a HUGE fan of, unlike many.

It's not a perfect record. "Babydoll" is filler. "Outside" is fairly nondescript, and I don't look entirely favourably on her cover of "The Beautiful Ones".

10 - Honey
09 - Butterfly
10 - My All
09 - The Roof
09 - Fourth Of July
10 - Breakdown
06 - Babydoll
08 - Close My Eyes
10 - Whenever You Call
10 - Fly Away
07 - The Beautiful Ones
06 - Outside

I was just watching The Roof video - I wish she would make more 'dark' sounding music. I love her campy fun hip-hop stuff, but this was the only album where she actually made serious and semi-credible music

It's the only album where she got the perfect balance between the R&B/Hip hop direction she longed for, whilst retaining the pop leanings that propelled her career.

INNIT THOUGH

08 - Honey
07 - Butterfly
10 - My All
10 - The Roof
06 - Fourth Of July
06 - Breakdown
05 - Babydoll
09 - Close My Eyes
09 - Whenever You Call
10 - Fly Away
10 - The Beautiful Ones
08 - Outside

I don't like the middle section. For most people "Breakdown" saves it but I've just never liked it. But then I never did like that BTnH sound. It really ANNOYS me. I find it really contrived. Take those three songs away though... wow. Who'd have thunk she was capable...

I will concede that this is a decent album. But I just don't like this kind of stuff enough to really get on board with it. The title track is just so DRIPPY.....

it is. which is what spoils it for me. I mean it's no EVERYTHING FADES AWAY

But then WHAT IS

there's plenty of other GREAT stuff on there to choose from though...

10 Honey
09 Butterfly
10 My All
10 The Roof
07 Fourth Of July
10 Breakdown
07 Babydoll
09 Close My Eyes
07 Whenever You Call
08 Fly Away
10 The Beautiful Ones
08 Outside

How strange this album is. Well not the album itself so much as the fact that it was the only time where everything fell exactly into place for her, as has already been said. That it was bookended by gloop and half-arsedness respectively makes it all the more remarkable. Is that even the correct use of bookended? I'm fucked if I know and it's 10 to 3. MARIAH CAREY UP

Last edited:
Mimi's BEST album to date... 10 (9.5 if it was an option)

Another listen confirms my opinion. Some very good stuff but ultimately too full of drippy shit for me to really get into it. The mid-section is really quite weak.

09 Honey
07 Butterfly
08 My All
10 The Roof
05 Fourth Of July
09 Breakdown
05 Babydoll
09 Close My Eyes
07 Whenever You Call
06 Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)
09 The Beautiful Ones
06 Outside

Last edited:
YAY VoR likes The Roof

Maybe he can trade in his CLAM SHELL for a pair of KILLER HEELS and a night of passion with SOME BLACK IN THE RAIN

Actually I've returned to Breakdown and I just noticed she uses the word nonchalant in the chorus.

BONUS POINT

10 - Honey
10 - Butterfly
10 - My All
10 - The Roof
06 - Fourth Of July
10 - Breakdown
06 - Babydoll
10 - Close My Eyes
10 - Whenever You Call
10 - Fly Away
10 - The Beautiful Ones
10 - Outside

WE TOLD YOU in the MOD FORUM. Don't DELETE POSTS where POSSIBLE

I'll let you off as it's EARLY DAYS

er, thanks mr headmaster... :D

I thought twas OK as there were like three posts in it

And LOL at Lou's rate...

As I was SAYING this is my fave Mariah album, but it wasn't always. I didn't like her shift towards R&B at the time, but in hindsight she has married the R&B/pop sounds better than any other time in her career... it's a perfect balance. I thought it was too urban at the time but compared to following albums it's practically Eurovision. And it's certainly a creative step up from Music Box and Daydream, my previous faves

Career wise, she really did slowly climb a hill in the 90s and then just jumped right off and plummeted thereafter

This is her summit album, just before the drop.

She calls Butterfly a JUNIOR VERSION of Mimi

Which is of course a big bag of BS because this is evidently the superior album

But I can see where she's coming from in that the ballads were still quite POP, even if they were less schlocky that she had been used to

I have no time for artists who think that they continue to improve creatively when it's quite clear they haven't been at their best for a LONG LONG TIME

Can you delete my double post funky

This thread should be renamed funky gets to grips with his mod panel

Can you delete my double post funky

This thread should be renamed funky gets to grips with his mod panel

I do like how I had the option to ban you at the same time

talking about killing two birds...

Oh LOOK WHO'S GETTING ALL TOMMY MOTTOLA UP IN MY FACE

If this was a record label I would totally LEAVE IT and sign an $80m deal ELSEWHERE

But it isn't

08 - Honey
07 - Butterfly
07 - My All
09 - The Roof
06 - Fourth Of July
10 - Breakdown
08 - Babydoll
09 - Close My Eyes
08 - Whenever You Call
10 - Fly Away
08 - The Beautiful Ones
07 - Outside

I really really really really really really really don't get "Breakdown"

BREAK BREAK DOWN - it's a STONE GROOVE, funky.

Lou I do think you're being harsh on Fourth Of July - it's an easy SEVEN

for me it's the FLOW

and a couple of lines in the lyrics i find really touching, like a rare moment of mimi actually EMOTING with her voice

still the (second) best thing from this era was the morales take on fly away - probably my favourite mimi mix along with dreamlover and heartbreaker (JV)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom