Mariah Carey - Butterfly

Spread your wings and prepare to fly...

• Total voters
Morales's take on Butterfly and Fantasy are both 10/10 dance classics

Dreamlover is good but it just sounds like a remixed pop song, which it is.

Heartbreaker just annoys me. The vocal is just rubbish.

Last edited:
Breakdown just WORKS

I don't know why, but it just does, from the lyrics, to the delivery, to the rap, to the ad-libs at the end

It was pretty much the blueprint for the REST OF HER CAREER as far as breathy vocals and 80mph delivery go as well

I just want to take a second to have a Close My Eyes moment and there is nowhere else to have it but here (OH YEAH THE MARIAH FORUM)

Anyway I think this is now my favourite Butterfly song. I love her delivery of

Let it all dissipate
And I try to forget

and

Orange clouds roll by
They burn into your image
And you're still alive (YOU'RE ALWAYS ALIVE)

THANKS

Such a grower for me. Still the odd shit track (Fourth of July, Babydoll) but a good 8 or so amazing ones.

I want to come in and moan about my 9 and proclaim it a STONE COLD TEN

but on reflection, it's still a 9.

not with BABYDOLL and BREAKDOWN on there it's not

*ducks*

Breakdown is brilliant :disco:

Though it's all about The Roof if we're honest

that I won't argue with

While it's not my favourite Mariah track, it IS top 5 and it's possibly, objectively, her most CREATIVE MOMENT.

Totally agree. I love a bit of Mariah most of the time, but usually (on the whole) most of her stuff is very similar (ie: Heartbreaker, Honey and Fantasy are all somewhat interchangeable). However this was such a different, creative, 'rich' track that she absolutely nails.

I've FINALLY had my moment with Babydoll after FIFTEEN YEARS Whatev!

It's 2:11 and I'm STRESSIN'
Watchin' TV in my hotel suite
I CHECK my service every second
At 2:10 you STILL hadn't CALLED ME!

Last edited:
10 - Honey
06 - Butterfly
10 - My All
09 - The Roof
07 - Fourth Of July
07 - Breakdown
06 - Babydoll
10 - Close My Eyes
10 - Whenever You Call
10 - Fly Away
10 - The Beautiful Ones
06 - Outside

10 Honey
07 Butterfly
10 My All
10 The Roof
09 Fourth Of July
08 Breakdown
06 Babydoll
10 Close My Eyes
08 Whenever You Call
07 Fly Away
07 The Beautiful Ones
06 Outside

I wish I had given Outside maybe an 8 instead now. She does shriek out magnificently at the end if I remember.

08 - Honey
09 - Butterfly
09 - My All
10 - The Roof
07 - Fourth Of July
10 - Breakdown
06 - Babydoll
09 - Close My Eyes
07 - Whenever You Call
06 - Fly Away
02 - The Beautiful Ones
06 - Outside

The centrepiece of the album (The Roof, Breakdown, Close My Eyes) are probably her three finest songs

10 - Honey
06 - Butterfly
10 - My All
09 - The Roof
07 - Fourth Of July
07 - Breakdown
06 - Babydoll
10 - Close My Eyes
10 - Whenever You Call
10 - Fly Away
10 - The Beautiful Ones
06 - Outside

The Roof is obviously a 10, I was wrong. The Beautiful Ones came on a shuffle earlier, I wonder if it got her through the worst nights of her first marriage.

10 - Honey
10 - Butterfly
10 - My All
09 - The Roof
07 - Fourth Of July
07 - Breakdown
06 - Babydoll
08 - Close My Eyes
08 - Whenever You Call
08 - Fly Away
08 - The Beautiful Ones
06 - Outside

I've always loved "My All" but something about it in my most recent listen to Butterfly has really elevated it to an all-time Mariah top ten material for me. Not enough is really made of Mariah as a vocalist who can really deliver a melody beyond just the technical vocal standpoint. The Latin flourishes, which were actually a good couple years ahead of the whole Latin-pop, Ricky Martin explosion that influenced her peers later on, really work a treat with her tender, delicate interpretation of it. That last "I'd risk my liiiiifeee, to feeeeel..." really gets at the core too. And then "The Roof" comes on...

"Babydoll" is the only one I don't care for on this album.

Last edited:
My All is the vocal performance of her career. She had been technically more impressive (Emotions, Vision of Love, All In Your Mind), but she never wrung emotion out like that before or since. The final note is one of my favourites of her career. It sounds so dark.

"My All" is fantastic for all the reasons given above- it's emotionally devastating and she, for once, reigns it in when necessary. The verses are bleak and empty and the chorus is just heart wrenching, in your face 100% PURE PAIN. It remains the pinnacle of her career, in both dance and ballad form...

The first time I heard the Morales mix in a club setting was a personal life highlight. It was of course a few years after the fact which made it all so much more rewarding. :disco:

My favourite clubbing memory of all time was being off my tits on something in an open air nightclub in Turkey and it coming on...and seemingly (though in reality this not being the case at all) it being dark when it started and the sun coming up by the end. It was either a 35 minute mix or those drugs were FUCKING GOOD but either way, it was amazing...

The night the voice died, but still a fabulous perf. The note as the remix kicks in is deep-throated :disco: joy.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wa17Mlfydhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And has she ever looked better than in the video?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mIhI23gBBPQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And don't tell me any queen worth fucking has not wanted to lie forlornly in an oversized clam shell after a heavy night out in Sitges/Gran Can/Mykonos/Fire Island/all of the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom