Kelly Clarkson - Underneath the Tree

'cos you are near, and everything's clear...

• Total voters

Jark

User
In really quite heartwarming news, Underneath the Tree is properly taking off in the UK this year. Last year it reached a new peak of 21, but in today's midweek it's already 24 and on Spotify it's hit #6, easily a new high. apparently it's getting great playlist exposure, or something.

so is it the next proper Christmas classic or is it just having a moment?

very murphy's law of this song, taken from an album that was not just a Christmas record but a love letter to her new husband, to become really big in the year of her sudden and bitter divorce. I bet she hates it!

very murphy's law of this song, taken from an album that was not just a Christmas record but a love letter to her new husband, to become really big in the year of her sudden and bitter divorce. I bet she hates it!

I didn't know she was getting divorced :( I've always liked her and her song Piece by Piece (about her husband) was VERY touching.

This song is great. It gives off the same vibes as AIWFCIY (but not as good of course). Of course maybe I'm just saying that because it is basically a rewrite of it

and while I think it's great, Wrapped in Red is even better.

such a very romantic, soulful song (shame about that video). bitch sounds GREAT!

Yes @Jark !! Wrapped In Red is absolutely stunning and whilst I do like Underneath The Tree it’s not quite there for me in the same way.

I do hear UTT on local radio every Christmas and thing it’s had a growing fondness from the gen pop as the years have gone by.

There are some really good songs on her Christmas album. Winter Dreams is the 3rd in my Kelly Clarkson Christmas trilogy.

I didn't know she was getting divorced :(
she addressed it on her TALK SHOW at the beginning of the new season and basically alluded to it being difficult - she's being sued by his dad as her ex-manager and now it's emerged that she's won custody of the kids

court documents state that "the level of conflict between the parents has increased. The parties have a difficult time co-parenting due to issues of trust between them." they're not spending Christmas Day together, the kids will do both. that sounds quite rough!

he comes from major money as well but he's seeking $301k in spousal support (per month!) plus $135k in child support! so what the fuck are his expenses for? :D

he's also seeking $2m in attorney fees, having hired seven lawyers. so definitely a major asshole.

the court ruling also said neither can drive with the kids within 8 hours of consuming alcohol or weed, which...

so all things considered, she's probably had the master file of Winter Dreams (Brandon's Song) BURNED already so she can pull a Sophie E-B if there are future pressings/reissues of the album :eyes:

this has been your Kelly Clarkson divorce bulletin. back now to @Beryl for the weather.

Last edited:
Wrapped in Red is normally the first Christmas album I go when it gets to.early December (or in the case of those year, 28yh November). It treads the line well of being Christmassy but also feels like a 'normal' album. The original songs on it are (mostly) quite good.

Kelly’s voice really suits Christmas songs. Her version of Run Run Rudolph is also fantastic.
Love Wrapped In Red (song) as well.

Well that divorce blurb certainly changed the tone in the topic quicker than a slag destroyers trailer, but do appreciate the update Jark.

This is, of course, a banger.

"Underneath The Tree" is one of the very few quintessential Christmas Songs this side of the decade. I'd actually say it's the spiritual heir to AIWFCIY (still #1).

I enjoy UTT but agree "Wrapped in Red" is a touch superior and more special.

That child support claim is a joke, he isn't even getting custody! :D

For all intents and purposes, Kelly should be relatively unscathed given the short length of the marriage.

Wrapped in Red is very good (having my first listen whilst reading The Jark Enquirer report - holy shit what a shit he is - I'll be off watching Dariene Lake's legendary Stronger lip sync to show my support).

Yeah, Underneathe The Tree gets a boost from Mariah in its first few seconds and then soon takes off beyond the pastiche it could have easily been. The chorus is just a bit humongous for the sake of emulating a humongous emotion that she's often guilty of. Now that I have a new one, I guess it's Red or dead for me.

I still can't get over that husband. I'll bet he's friends with Ellen.

I like Kelly a lot but even I could probably only name 20

We're really due a PROPER Kelly comeback. None of that swing-lite shit she did on her last album (or whatever it was meant to be).

She's hosting a daily talkshow in the US which seems to be doing quite well, so if she ends up being the new Ell*n when the latter finally descends into Hell then she might end up being a TV personality first, singer second. I hope not though.

I honestly wouldn’t mind that, it’s a great transition for her. She’d not get much success past any album lead singles any way so she may as well be using her own platform to promote them than hauling herself around the others.

I’m sure she wouldn’t stop recording and putting albums out

FOR FUN* I tried to write down as many Kelly Clarkson singles as I could from memory - and here they are

Ms. Independent, Low, Breakaway, Since U Been Gone, Behind These Hazel Eyes, Because of You, Never Again, My Life Would Suck, I Do Not Hook Up, Already Gone, All I Ever Wanted, Mr. Know It All, Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You), Dark Side, Catch My Breath, People Like Us, Underneath the Tree, Wrapped In Red, Heartbeat Song, Invincible, Piece by Piece, Heat

that's 22. could not remember the LEAD OR SECOND SINGLES from Meaning of Life :D despite it being her best album in aeons. I think I'll give that a spin today.

*I need to get a life

it was Love So Soft :D what WAS she thinking when the glorious title track and the beautiful ballad Move You were RIGHT THERE?

those two, Heat and Slow Dance would've made her best singles campaign since Breakaway

Love So Soft is so shit. I think Kelly is ultimately a very poor judge of her own material a lot of the time.

I loved "Heat", "Move You", and yes, the title track to a lesser extent, from the last album. I don't remember much else, but I remember the ones she went on about - "Love so Soft", "Whole Lotta Woman" - were AWFUL. I'd rather her give us the bops through GRITTED TEETH. Has she disowned the Piece by Piece album yet? I quite liked it, although it has already aged pretty poorly.

Did she not release Move You at the same time as Love So Soft, it’s nice but it wasn’t a number one hit in the waiting

heat should have been a single though

it was Love So Soft :D what WAS she thinking when the glorious title track and the beautiful ballad Move You were RIGHT THERE?

those two, Heat and Slow Dance would've made her best singles campaign since Breakaway

What was she thinking with that album cover? Looks like the victim of a savage tinsel attack.

Reactions: RJN
this made #12 US and #15 UK in the end. new peaks in both and on the Hot 100 it's the highest peaking Christmas single recorded this century, above Santa Tell Me. :disco: SLEIGH.

11 and 13 in the US and UK respectively.

She sounds SO good these days. Literally just adlibs her way through the last minute like it's the easiest thing in the world.

Well it has endured and ripened. I may have to reconsider the still strong 7 I gave it back when :allstars:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom