Is THIS how you remember Girls Aloud?!?

Mike(y) W

Dotmusic Dowager

Girls Aloud​

The definition of guilty pleasure, this frothy girl group was created in 2002 from contestants on the iTV show Popstars: The Rivals. The English-Irish group produced hits in the UK with “Sound of the Underground,” “The Promise,” and “Love Machine.” Singer Cheryl Coles went on to a solo career and had some big UK hits, judged The X Factor and had a son with One Direction singer Liam Payne.

That's like me saying that Texas sold out and became frothy from 'Say What You Want' onwards.

the lack of awareness displayed by that writer about the musical landscape outside of America amounts to nothing more than sheer ignorance
Diverting slightly off-topic - but that's why it was so amazing to see Kate go top five over there with RUTH.

“Marie Claire US staff” share an intellectual discourse on The Sugababes

Sugababes released their first album in the UK in 2000, and England was a bit more taken with them than the U.S., which is a shame because these songs definitely hold up! Their catchy but spooky 2000 song "Overload" would be totally relevant right now, and 2005's "Push The Button" is a certifiable bop. But anyway, the band's lineup had been completely changed by 2009 after the systematic departures of all of the original members over several years, and then the group called it quits in 2011. There is a philosophical conundrum in there but I don't feel like wasting that kind of brain power on the Sugababes, no offense.

big-smile-ditz.gif

Their catchy but spooky 2000 song "Overload" would be totally relevant right now, and 2005's "Push The Button" is a certifiable bop.
At least they listened to two songs before they wrote that rubbish. I think with some of the other acts, they just looked at a couple of photographs.

“Marie Claire US staff” share an intellectual discourse on The Sugababes

Sugababes released their first album in the UK in 2000, and England was a bit more taken with them than the U.S., which is a shame because these songs definitely hold up! Their catchy but spooky 2000 song "Overload" would be totally relevant right now, and 2005's "Push The Button" is a certifiable bop. But anyway, the band's lineup had been completely changed by 2009 after the systematic departures of all of the original members over several years, and then the group called it quits in 2011. There is a philosophical conundrum in there but I don't feel like wasting that kind of brain power on the Sugababes, no offense.

big-smile-ditz.gif
Fuck this person

The sheer audacity of that .. individual in breaking both groups down and rendering them ‘irrelevant’ makes my blood boil and also SO glad I was not majorly exposed to whatever the fuck comparatively boring shit was instead going on over the pond on the U.S.
Whereas I am drafting a reply article summing up the US equivalents and making references to escaping from the 'Deliverance' commune for Hanson and the 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' for NKOTB and see how they like it!!

They were anything but a guilty pleasure - they were a parade of pride and fuck-you pop cool. "Spike heels and skin-tight jeans" from Graffiti My Soul did exactly what the song title promised, No Good Advice is black hole of euphoria and tinfoil, Untouchable was unspeakably serene and the K-Lo single edit unspeakably surreal, the aching romantic stoicism of Call the Shot conjures so much beauty in that sky-lighting middle 8 that I forget Kimberley is a thing for almost 10 still seconds, and then the blistering and disorientating Swinging London Town was nothing to be snorted at either. And that's not even scratching the surface.

Their catalogue, almost from the get-go, was absolutely loaded, every album (near every single) a new breakthrough, and froth? Foth??? Oh yeah, I got my cappuccino to go.

I actually think that's a really thorough summary of the 'Liam Payne's son' hitmakers.

Guys, this one's going to cause some real psychic damage to some Moopers :(

British dance group Steps did the hilarious line-dancing anthem "5,6,7,8" in which the chorus includes the phrase "my boot-scootin' baby." It's deeply annoying and yet you won't be able to unhear it. They were around from 1997 to 2001, and seem at least partially inspired by the perennial Rednex dance hit "Cotton Eye Joe," which is a really sad sentence to type.

Guys, this one's going to cause some real psychic damage to some Moopers :(

British dance group Steps did the hilarious line-dancing anthem "5,6,7,8" in which the chorus includes the phrase "my boot-scootin' baby." It's deeply annoying and yet you won't be able to unhear it. They were around from 1997 to 2001, and seem at least partially inspired by the perennial Rednex dance hit "Cotton Eye Joe," which is a really sad sentence to type.
I cannot stomach even a tiny bit of Steps, but even I was offended by this summing up of the nation's favourite pop muppets of yesteryear.

If it's not an actual sample or something Lisa explained, Rednex is a good catch and makes me more impressed. I was never a huge Steps fan back in the day, but Last Thing On My Mind and Love's Got A Hold of My Heart were always awesome.

These were all written by a very stupid robot surely

Girls Aloud were fronted by Cheryl Cole and included Kimberley Walsh, Nadine Coyle, Sarah Harding, Nicola Roberts, Cheryl Tweedy and Lisa Scott-Lee.

The group have sold over 17 million records worldwide and have received four Brit Awards, including the 2013 award for Outstanding Contribution to Music.

Girls Aloud formed in London in 2002 when Kimberley Walsh met Cheryl Cole and Nicola Roberts while still at school.

Cheryl signed a recording deal with the Burmese record label Zee Music, whilst Walsh was signed to L7 Records and Nicola Roberts to the girls imprint; M Entertainment.

They released their debut single, "Sound of the Underground", in July 2002, which received mixed reviews.

In 2003, Girls Aloud released their debut album, "Sound of the Underground", which charted at number two in the United Kingdom.

The album sold 7 million copies worldwide and was certified 6x platinum by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI).

The lead single, "The Promise", received further mixed reviews.

Whenever you’re gone, gone, they wait at the door
And everything’s hurting like before
Without any meaning, we’re just skin and bones
Like beautiful robots writing content for MSN Woman & Home.com via Marie Claire (US)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom