House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel)

I’ve also just this second realised that Larys is Rhaeneryas’s kids’ uncle :D

What a MESSY FAMILY. They should be on Shameless!

I have to say v3.0 of Aemond is a total QOL, I hope we have this one for a while

I think this is main cast because the dance lasts about 3 years from the death Viserys.

Apparently the show is planned to run for four seasons. Does the book only cover this generation of characters then? I wasn't sure whether next season we'd cut forward another 50-100 years and have a new batch of protagonists...

Apparently the show is planned to run for four seasons. Does the book only cover this generation of characters then? I wasn't sure whether next season we'd cut forward another 50-100 years and have a new batch of protagonists...
Fire & Blood is the first part of a history of the Targaryen kings, rather than being novels in the same way that A Song Of Ice And Fire are. The book that has currently been released stops shortly after the end of the upcoming war, with a second part forthcoming. I would assume that the four series of the TV show will deal with this generation of characters as the war does come to a definitive end and there wouldn't really be any sensible thematic continuity in jumping to future generations. There's probably enough content for four series, provided they space the big events out properly.

I note that the publication of the second volume of Fire and Blood isn't on the foreseeable horizon either but after Winds of Winter :D oh, George...

does this mean that the HBO writers will just make up something for the future seasons of HoD like they did GoT after they ran out of source material?

Yes, we all know about George RR Martin and forthcoming books.

I wouldn't expect them to make up story for the future of HOTD. The published book does contain the end of the story which they appear to be telling.

also with GoT when they first surpassed the books they were still taking notes from George on future plot direction. but then around season 6 they blocked him out and went their own way.

I think the story loses steam after a certain point in the book but maybe they’ll be able to get us to care? I would have thought 3 seasons at a stretch.

The next story they can tell under the same name would be Aegon’s (that first one not the second or third we have in this show) conquest.

That's an interesting read, and quite telling that he seems to have had a much more thoughtful take on the character than the actual writers of the show. :D

That's an interesting read, and quite telling that he seems to have had a much more thoughtful take on the character than the actual writers of the show. :D
there were little clues if you were looking. in his final scene he raises his hand and the last thing he sees is Aemma's marriage ring. then he says "my love" (when it cuts to black), which was apparently not in the script but adlibbed by Paddy.

I believe they shot the second half with the adult actresses ahead of the first half so he probably didn’t know who Aemma was then :D

I think the story loses steam after a certain point in the book but maybe they’ll be able to get us to care? I would have thought 3 seasons at a stretch.

The next story they can tell under the same name would be Aegon’s (that first one not the second or third we have in this show) conquest.

Have they said anything more about making it into an anthology kind of series? Going by the success of the first run you would think it is likely (and they will be more inclined to wheel out some of the other series in development as well).

I have read the book but due to the format it hasn't really stuck in the same way the source material did for GoT. It is quite nice having it kind of like new.

And I like pouty evil Aemond so far. He is like a younger, hotter Daemon.

Hopefully he is more fun evil rather than Ser Criston style annoying shit.

Have they said anything more about making it into an anthology kind of series? Going by the success of the first run you would think it is likely (and they will be more inclined to wheel out some of the other series in development as well).

I have read the book but due to the format it hasn't really stuck in the same way the source material did for GoT. It is quite nice having it kind of like new.

I feel (purely based on speculation) that they would probably keep the name and tell another Targ story. They seem to want to continue with the music and the look.

They’ve got other series in development (Dunk and Egg which is before GoT but after this) and that dreaded Jon Snow sequel (I don’t want it) and those can be seperate.

I am not familiar with the Dunk and Egg story but I am dead set against the further adventures of Jon Snow.

Does anyone want a JON SNOW spinoff? At least balance it out with a SANSA spin-off purely for the GAYS.

It should have been an Arya spin off. Given her trajectory in GoT, there was a lot of mileage to see where it took her. Jon and Sansa’s arcs were complete; it felt like Arya was just beginning.

Also I still somehow know NOTHING about this HoD story. I know it was covered and referenced in some GoT scenes but I of course don’t remember it. Which is a nice refreshing change.

I also rather dislike the obsession that TV shows and films have to be faithful to the source material. It doesn’t bother me either way if it’s done right. Season 6 of GoT was done right. Even Season 7 and the first 3 episode of 8 were done right in my eyes. Plus there are many characters that are better in the show than the books and it kind of cancels out the ones that aren’t. I’ve read the same about HoD; didn’t GRRM himself say that Paddy Considine’s Viserys is a massive improvement on the book?

Fire and Blood is not exactly a character book, it’s written as a fake historical retelling so there’s no character voice. So all the acting choices are new.

In terms of GoT, it went to shit eventually but part of that is them not being able to finish a story that GRRM himself hasn’t been able to finish. They also rushed and seemed to just want to finish it and move on.

They were good at adapting and doing set pieces (the blowing up of the sept etc…) but they didn’t know how to handle characters arcs in the same way that GRRM so Dany, Jon and Cersei especially ended up terribly cliched.

I agree on the last point. I didn’t agree with all the fan hysteria on season 8, but I do agree on that. The Lannisters especially. Cersei in particular, it was as though Lena Heady had DIED before production and they made do with a few imposed shots of her looking thoughtful from around the castle. She barely had three lines in the final couple of episodes. A horrible waste.

I really hated this for the first few, terminally dull episodes. But since the time-shift, the dragons stepped their pussy up. I am now loving this show, in a very different way to Game of Thrones. It has a more soap-ish, "Dynasty with dragons" energy than the vast odyssey vibe of the original series.

Last edited:
Hmm not my favorite episode. Alicent’s characterization just varies widely from episode to episode.

Actually a lot of this episode reminded me of bad GoT, the feet scene made me think of Littlefinger at the brothel and while that last bit with Rhaenys and the dragon was cool it was just there to be that. Rhaenys just squashed a few hundred innocent people to have her dragon scream at the greens???

yeah this episode was giving one of those random eps GoT occasionally had that just felt a bit off. the king's coronation scene was good, but all the build up to get there and then very little of consequence actually happened. in fact they could've begun this episode with that scene without losing anything at all.

things I did enjoy: Ser Criston murdering that boring old goat at the green council table. Rhaenys in disguise looking every ounce a rich lady in disguise. Otto essentially have an orgasm while crowning Aegon. and Larys having an actual orgasm at the sight of royal toes.

overall though, a filler. and some of the CGI was kinda shit!

(and how, in the 24 hours+ between news beginning to break of the King's death and Aegon's coronation, did word not reach Dragonstone?)

I was wishing for the death of either Ser Christon or Alicent’s second son, or really everyone but of course that never happened.

I enjoyed Rhaenys walk among the people and was hoping she’ll do something more than just killing innocent people.

Almost all the men in this show are disgusting and the last thing I wanted to see is Larys jerking off.

I love how BOUGIE they made Rhaenys. Her showing up on her Versace dragon is giving rich bitch, only to death drop in front of everyone's bullshit and leave.

Alicent is such a fantastic character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom