Germany legalises weed

Should weed be legalised?

• Total voters
Well, you know what I mean.

Then again, I live in a country where sales of alcohol is still controlled by the state. Maybe something similar could be done to other drugs but it would still lead to a big black market.

As much as I do drugs (not weed though), I don’t think any of it should be legalised as a lot people would clearly not be able to control it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Legalising and allowing access related to harm would be far better for public health across the spectrum. Also, legalisation usually reduces consumption 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: GNL
Can I add, just after the way the thread has gone, that absolutely I think it should be legalised generally, totally all for it, I just hate the smell which makes me selfishly want it kept to the underground.

Thank you kindly.

@floppet I know it has health benefits - tablet form or edibles is fine, it's the smoking part of it that I think is bad. The smell it makes me want to be physically sick.

OK so I'm going to totally go against the grain here (not on the legalising part, I'm all for that...) I quite LIKE the smell of weed. Not when it's right up my nose but from afar, but I'm somebody who really likes anything a bit earthy anyway. Patchouli? Drown me in it. Oakmoss? Give me more. Sandalwood? Tell me how my entire room can smell of it ETC ETC.

I know people who use weed for chronic pain and it's about the only thing that works for them. They are functioning people with thoughts, feelings and lives. It's all about the bigger picture with this one. Why shouldn't we have legitimate access to something that can help when we live in a cruel fucking world?

I actually only realised what weed smelled like about 8 years ago. Even though I cannot stand the smell, I'd feel good about it being legalised for the small respite it can give those with various medical conditions. I'll moan about the stench constantly, but it's a yes from me.

Regular weed can make you quite productive (my house is so fucking sparkling normally about an hour after a packed spliff). Regular booze intake is hideously destructive, just think of those lost hangover days.

If I come downstairs to make toast at night I'll generally get a text after forty five minutes asking "are you stoned-cleaning again?! Stop it!".

YES to edibles and similar forms being easily available in a legalised, regulated way

NO to smoking it, you revolting grubby people

That said, there's quite a bit of evidence to suggest longterm weed use isn't great for the brain, right? That should be taken seriously and clarified, and not just written off with "BUT ALCOHOL IS LEGAL TOO!", because as a country it's not like we're in a good place with that either.

While I get the smell issue do sometimes think its entirely classist. Personally I love the idea of the UK adopting the model thats prevalent in Spain of private consumption clubs. I've been in some really swanky ones in Barcelona that are like trendy bars, but just for weed. I reckon we'd do a good line of them in the UK.

I also quite like what Germany have done as well, in so much that by not opening up a full commercial market, yet, capitalism won't ruin this. In Vegas nearly every taxi and billboard was given over to weed delivery services or giant dispensaries and its not only crass, it creates an easy scapegoat.

While I get the smell issue do sometimes think its entirely classist.

I take the point but also it’s just fucking foul to certain people. I’ve been around weed a long time and I’ve got zero issue with it in any form from a class or social perspective, the smell just makes me feel queasy.

I also don’t really do weed myself- I like an upper or a hallucinogen far more than a downer anyway but it doesn’t really agree with me. Admittedly with fairly limited experience as I just don’t bother.

Never thought of weed as a class thing but I'm not too keen on the smell. I'd say though that the system we already have with smoking (i.e. do it outdoors unless it's your own space) is fine - ever since the ban in public spaces the only time I've smelt it (as with weed or fruity vape stuff) is catching a random brief whif in the street. So as long as it follows the same laws as smoking, it's unlikely to even affect me so I have no issue with it.

Love a beer and seeing it banned would be miserable so I'm all for legalising weed in solidarity of "it should be legal to have a substance that makes you happy, if it isn't utterly destructive". But I can handle alcohol without getting shitfaced and dangerous or drinking an amount that poses a health risk big enough to outweigh "living a little and enjoying things", so there's that. I know some people who are an absolute pain in the arse when they drink as they drink until they can barely stand and then they lose concepts like personal space. In an ideal world I'd love to see an invention that can actively monitor BAC without having to puff into a tube, have it a) integrate with vehicles and some other machinery and b) have a legal limit to how shitfaced you can get even if you're not driving, so people aren't causing a nuisance. Consider setting it fairly high so people can have fun, but with the power to lower it for people who become a menace such as getting violent etc.

Of course, yes. Well done Germania and hopefully it influences us as well because Germany is such a model to the French.

Besides that, it’s not really my drug of choice. It sometimes sends me into fits of laughter which is nice, but it mostly makes me want to go to bed, which is a bit shit when you’re smoking with friends.

Mr RoM was very partial to it, and the effect it had was quite obvious - after a few puffs (he smokes it, although much less often nowadays), that familiar stoned "look" would appear on his face, and he went into his own world of relaxation.

For me it's always done nothing except make me feel a bit gross and groggy, even though I would never learn and still "try". This was the case for years.

However, the other week at my mum's, she made some weed brownies (for her neighbour, she doesn't like it much herself). I was absolutely starving and, completely defiant and confident that I was immune to all effects and therefore it was nothing but cake, I ate about a third of them.

I've never been so off my tits in a weed sense in all my life. But not in a NICE way - for hours I felt like I was trapped in a small space and like gravity was closing in on me. It was awful. NEVER AGAIN.

I agree with Sheena, not that I do much of anything, but I much prefer an "upper". Otherwise I'll stick to booze thanks!

I was just surprised how consuming it in a different way can clearly have an effect if had never worked for you before, although I suspect I'd gone somewhat overboard on the amount :D

Edible weed is like a different drug all together, I do love a brownie or a gummy, I had one last night at a gig in fact, but the high is so much more intense, prolonged and mind bending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom