Germany legalises weed

Should weed be legalised?

• Total voters
So is this 3 countries? Netherlands, Portugal (maybe just decriminalized), Germany

What is the situation in the uk? It should absolutely be legal everywhere in my opinion

So is this 3 countries? Netherlands, Portugal (maybe just decriminalized), Germany

What is the situation in the uk? It should absolutely be legal everywhere in my opinion

More than that. Uruguay, Canada, South africa...

Possession is still illegal, but you rarely hear of it being something the police give a shit about.

weed is nature's most wonderful gift (or maybe second after the sun) and I'm so here for any move to decriminalise. it won't happen in the UK because our moron reactionary MPs believe ALL DRUGZ ARE EVIL!!! despite all being on coke. stupid fucks.

I'd propose a nationwide sheep dip type system that all weed smokers with less than perfect hygiene have to use before being allowed to enter public spaces.

Weed is absolutely fucking disgusting. The smell permeates through everything. I understand them legalising it from a drugs point of view as tobacco and alcohol are worse but from a health point of view it’s also a carcinogen. One joint does about the same damage as 3-5 cigarettes.

I don't smoke it inside (and I would NEVER in my car) and have good hygiene so I don't think I ever smell like it. I lived with my parents for 6 months and my mother never noticed me smelling like weed, and she HATES the smell and would say something.
Weed is absolutely fucking disgusting. The smell permeates through everything. I understand them legalising it from a drugs point of view as tobacco and alcohol are worse but from a health point of view it’s also a carcinogen. One joint does about the same damage as 3-5 cigarettes.
Based on one study almost 20 years ago, so I'm pretty skeptical of that stat… and edibles are safer anyway

It’s so odd this is the one thing the US is more liberal on than the UK. Of course it should be legal.

No it fucking doesn’t 😂

@big ron i need some STATS and I need them to agree with what I already think

• Love
Reactions: RJN
Anyway, I've spent all afternoon watching this vote actually happen and writing about it, and then talking about it.

It's huge, the progress in Canada and to a lesser extent the US has been amazing, but always so distant. To have such sweeping reform on our geographical doorstep is huge.

Whats interesting is that the one thing that stopped Germany going further, ie full legalisation with a commercial dispensary style operation is the EU. Germany aren't giving up and hope to work with the EU to change things, but the laws that govern national production and distribution are set by the EU, where as how to deal with personal level legislation in set by the member state, which is how we got here. Equally, legalising commercial cannabis creates problems with Schengen, EU states can't refuse goods from another state, so it gets messy. France for example can't technically say no to exported weed from Germany under Schengen even though cannabis is illegal.

Germany isn't the first in Europe, Malta, Luxembourg and Switzerland have already done similar moves, and the Netherlands are trialing legal supply to coffee shops (its always been technically illegal but just ignored), but a country of Germanys size, economically, geographically and politically, is significant. I can see the EU making some big changes to drug laws soon, and then the dominoes will fall.

The irony is the UK in theory COULD just pave the way and go full legal and all of a sudden BREXIT will have meant something, but Kier lol.

I read reports online that because weed smokers tend to inhale more deeply and hold their breath for longer it still causes damage. Air pockets, air bubbles, chronic bronchitis, wheezing etc.

Inhaling any combusted material is going to be more damaging than breathing fresh air, yes, but cannabis smoke isn't more carcinogenic than tobacco smoke.

Cannabis can and is consumed in many formats. In the US and Canada the fastest growing categories are edibles and drinks.

I don't smoke weed, I use a vaporiser (as used by prescribed cannabis patients), and while I agree that the smell can be offputting for some, people should be able to legally consume something FAR FAR more healthy than alcohol, which in itself is way more problematic to society.

Reactions: RJN
I'm looking forward to the day I don't have to be a criminal to get sleep.

@Kala Have you been watching Reefer Madness? It can absolutely have health benefits as well as improving the quality of life for a lot of sick and injured people, Mr F would likely be unable to walk without it and it was his GP, over twenty years ago, who suggested he try it because the alternative was being doped up to the eyeballs by opiates. Before he starting using it, and he usually only has one at night, he was like a zombie. I have numerous hours of video of him asleep standing up in our kitchen, he could barely wake up at all but with it he is like a functioning human being and takes less opiates and Pregabalin because of that.

Inhaling any combusted material is going to be more damaging than breathing fresh air, yes, but cannabis smoke isn't more carcinogenic than tobacco smoke.

Cannabis can and is consumed in many formats. In the US and Canada the fastest growing categories are edibles and drinks.

I don't smoke weed, I use a vaporiser (as used by prescribed cannabis patients), and while I agree that the smell can be offputting for some, people should be able to legally consume something FAR FAR more healthy than alcohol, which in itself is way more problematic to society.
There's a German article from a few years back which rates alcohol fourth in terms of total harm of psychoactive substances - behind only crack (1st), methamphetamine (2nd) and heroin (3rd).

Cannabis is 15th, nicotine 18th.

Results: Illicit drugs such as methamphetamine, heroin, cocaine and also alcohol
were judged particularly harmful, and new psychoactive drugs (cathinones, synthetic
cannabinoids) were ranked among the most harmful substances. Cannabis was ranked
in the midrange, on par with benzodiazepines and ketamine—somewhat more favorable
compared to the last European survey. Prescribed drugs including opioids (in contrast
to the USA, Canada, and Australia) were judged less harmful. NOAs were at the bottom
end of the ranking.

Conclusion: In Germany, alcohol and illicit drugs (including new psychoactive
substances) continue to rank among the most harmful addictive substances in contrast
to prescribed agents including opioid analgesics and NOAs. Current laws are incongruent
with these harm rankings. This study is the first of its kind to include comparative harm
rankings of several novel abused substances, both licit/prescribed and illicit.

Last edited:
There's a German article from a few years back which rates alcohol fourth in terms of total harm of psychoactive substances - behind only crack (1st), methamphetamine (2nd) and heroin (3rd).

Cannabis is 15th, nicotine 18th.

The Lancet published something a while back with similar outcomes

IMG_1415.jpeg

I love hearing drinkers complaining about weed. Drinking is so damaging on multiple levels (health, finance, social, legal).

The worst weed does, in my experience is maintain lethargy (which the main reason I don't use it so much, but I'm always happy to have a cheeky joint if there's one around) and it's quite easy to end up ordering two take-aways of an evening.

Regular weed can make you quite productive (my house is so fucking sparkling normally about an hour after a packed spliff). Regular booze intake is hideously destructive, just think of those lost hangover days.

The Global Drug Survey 2024 is open for people who want to air their views

I do think the argument about the smell is semi valid, although I do also think its rootedin classism and racism, but lets be honest, it pongs. (So does beer and sick but lets move on).

Personally I'd love to see the UK adopt a similar system to that which has emerged in Spain, where consumption is done in private clubs.

In the last few years I've only vaped it or eaten it. I don't hate the smell at all. Tobacco is fucking revolting.

I'd want to give more thought to decriminalisation against legalisation (as I'm not sure I fully understand the implications of either) but if the alternative is it being a Class B drug, then yes, legalise it.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm guessing decriminalisation would mean it's not a crime to posses (bit grey area). Legalisation would likely prompt weed cafe culture.

As much as I do drugs (not weed though), I don’t think any of it should be legalised as a lot people would clearly not be able to control it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

A few months ago a very polite neighbour saw me at the bus stop in the island and offered me a lift to the city since we were going to the same suburb. Yet throughout the entire journey he was smoking weed and i couldn't say anything or ask to get down cause that would be very very rude. So I went to work feeling that am oozing cannabis from every pore and i really can't stand the smell. Ever since am leaving the island about an hour earlier than i need to so that he doesn't see me at the bus stop and ask me to get in again. In short, yes to legalisation but make it smell better please. It's almost as stinky as iqos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom