Eurovision 2023 News

Are you going?

• Total voters
They should go for the biggest arena they can get to maximise the number of tickets available. Therefore Manchester.
They'd just fuck it up with a big fuck off Green Room in the middle.

Glasgow means they can have the Green Room next door very easily.

• Wow
Reactions: D5K
EBU:

The final decision on the winning Host City will be determined by which city or region scores highest against an agreed evaluation criteria, assessed by the BBC.

These criteria include:
  • Having a suitable venue and sufficient space to deliver the requirements of the Eurovision Song Contest
  • The commitment that can be made by a city or region to hosting the event, including the financial contribution
  • The strength of the cultural offer which includes off screen local and regional activity as well as showcasing Ukrainian culture and music
  • Alignment with the BBC’s strategic priorities as a public service broadcaster, such as providing value to all audiences and supporting the creative economy in the UK.

I mean, with a big stage and in-arena green room I’d imagine the MEN would still have a capacity of ~16k? So more than the Hydro still.

I’m worried about the financial contribution bit. Presumably a certain First Minister will be willing to through millions to have the contest in a cold remote city.

It should go to the city with the biggest

liz-truss.gif

Glasgow would be fine. I've been. It felt edgy. It's far from remote. It takes 30 minutes on plane from the south.

(The poll is who we *think* rather than who we *want* right?)

That's an interesting point, actually. I don't know if @VoR agrees but I am not sure Leeds' floor plan lends itself to a green room in front of the stage.

I’m worried about the financial contribution bit. Presumably a certain First Minister will be willing to through millions to have the contest in a cold remote city.
Oh here is a horrifically boring question.

If the UK government offered assistance to an English City, would it then have Barnett consequentials? Whereas Scottish Government funding would not affect the UK budget at all?

Are people voting on who they THINK will win or who they WANT to win. Because I don’t think it’s gonna be Manchester.

If Eurovision has taught us ANYTHING it is to DARE TO DREAM (and other meaningless platitudes about PEACE and LOVE).

Reactions: D5K
If Eurovision has taught us ANYTHING it is to DARE TO DREAM (and other meaningless platitudes about PEACE and LOVE).
If it's in Yorkshire the theme better be 'Pop The Kettle On'

Reactions: GNL
Oh here is a horrifically boring question.

If the UK government offered assistance to an English City, would it then have Barnett consequentials? Whereas Scottish Government funding would not affect the UK budget at all?
It was a question parliament decided for Olympic spending (the answer they went with was 'no'), so I suspect they'd probably do the same with any additional specific line item to the BBC for Eurovision, unless it all just gets bundled into a bigger BBC spend next year in which case the answer is inadvertently probably 'yes'.

Europe when it was announced Sheffield was still in the running..
B041188D-7DE0-4FB0-B970-B6594D320055.gif

So these are the seven cities which make official bids, rather than just expressions of interest - and they will be required to submit their bid books, right?

Seven is a fairly high number for them to properly analyse. I wonder if they'll whittle down this list further as we go along until we are left with just a few. Perhaps they'll eliminate a few after the bid books have been submitted, and then whoever is deciding this will visit the remaining cities

There's also the chance that we may get some withdrawals.

So these are the seven cities which make official bids, rather than just expressions of interest - and they will be required to submit their bid books, right?

Seven is a fairly high number for them to properly analyse. I wonder if they'll whittle down this list further as we go along until we are left with just a few. Perhaps they'll eliminate a few after the bid books have been submitted, and then whoever is deciding this will visit the remaining cities

So was the first stage just getting rid of the cities blatantly taking the piss?

So was the first stage just getting rid of the cities blatantly taking the piss?
Yeah. Darlington and Derry and the likes were never going to have a chance. I am surprised about London not even making the shortlist though. I wonder what criteria they failed on.

But surely if that was the case wouldn‘t London (and maybe Belfast) still be in the mix?

I've AGAIN had heterosexuals asking me about tickets this morning. TWO SEPARATE ONES.

WHY CAN'T THEY JUST FUCK OFF BACK TO ED SHEERAN AND LEAVE US ALONE?
Just explain to them that there's a non-refundable £200 deposit to even apply for tickets, to be paid into your bank account.

It was a question parliament decided for Olympic spending (the answer they went with was 'no'), so I suspect they'd probably do the same with any additional specific line item to the BBC for Eurovision, unless it all just gets bundled into a bigger BBC spend next year in which case the answer is inadvertently probably 'yes'.
I’ve been wondering what the treatment of the Birmingham Empire Games was. It feels a bit less nationwide than the Olympics.

EDIT: Apparently the Government confirmed at the despatch box that the Birmingham games had Barnett consequentials.

I honestly think Glasgow is the best bet. The arena is a decent size and there's the exhibition centre right next door which could host the press, events and all the backstage stuff. There are about 10 hotels around the vicinity of the arena, so all the delegations can walk to the arena. The BBC Studios are literally 2 minutes walk away over a bridge on the other side of the River Clyde. Plus they have the Armadillo next door they could use as overspill - kinda like they did in Stockholm with the Tele2 Arena where they screened the contest along with some performances.

I'd say Birmingham and Liverpool are the other front runners, though Birmingham were the last hosts and just hosted the Commonwealth Games, so I think they've had plenty.

Manchester and Leeds could be great but the venues suffer from no other space syndrome, with the venues surrounded by carparks and other buildings, with no space for press, backstage and other stuff.

Sheffield has no chance (sorry @Soldi), and is a filler queen along with Newcastle

These are the current odds:

1660294102405.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom