Estonia legalizes same-sex marriage

Are Lithuania and Latvia anywhere close to following? You'd think the country that gave us The Roop AND Monika Liu wouldn't be averse to the odd gay wedding...

Is it actual marriage? Or civil partnership with marriage status?
It is proposed that the institution of marriage, as defined by family law, be modified so that any two natural persons of legal age, regardless of gender, may marry. The words "man and woman" will be replaced with the words "two natural persons."

The 85 amendments to the Family Law Act and other legislation which will introduce same-sex marriage contracts also include the establishment of the implementing acts for the Registered Partnership Act.

Going forward, alongside marriage, people will continue to enjoy the right to enter into a registered partnership. Such a partnership guarantees the right of registered spouses to have a say in decisions pertaining to their partner and to obtain support and benefits as needed. Couples who enter into a registered partnership will also be able to convert their status to marriage in a simplified procedure should they wish to do so.

The proposal also clarifies the Family Law Act's regulation of parenthood in regards to same-sex couples' adoption rights.

Both marriage and registered partnerships bring rights and obligations for couples which do not extend to those in de facto relationships. These are mostly linked to home, assets, parentage and obtaining support. For example, in the event of the death of one spouse or registered partner this will help to prevent situations in which the surviving partner, in the absence of a will, has no right to inherit the other partner's assets, all of which are automatically transferred to their relatives instead.

The help of the spouse or registered partner will also be used to confirm previously expressed intentions if the other spouse or registered partner is unconscious or incapable of exercising their will, so as to decide whether to accept or reject medical treatment.

Does this answer your question?

I got even more confused. But thank you!
We need @Iguana to have a look at it, I fear.
reading-monkey.gif

It seems to me like it's similar to the UK system, where we gays can choose whether to get married or have a civil partnership. But it's definitely proper marriage, if you want it!

God you'd think it would be legal in Greece by now. Didn't they INVENT BUMMING?

Reactions: GNL
Assuming it goes through in Greece, it will make Italy stand out even more as the only non-former communist, non-microstate country in Europe to hold out (with no sign of that changing any time soon, especially not under Meloni). Czechia is expected to legalise it soon too

Apparently the Orthodox Church strongly opposed it.

I suppose sort of obvious, but don't these archaic institutions want to appeal to ANYONE anymore? They really haven't got a fucking clue how to stay relevant in the 21st Century have they.

1708811363965.png

I do wish Brexit didn't happen so that there'd be a UK number here. I guess none of it surprises me that much, but the difference between the Netherlands and Belgium is bigger than I would have thought.

View attachment 24564

I do wish Brexit didn't happen so that there'd be a UK number here. I guess none of it surprises me that much, but the difference between the Netherlands and Belgium is bigger than I would have thought.
Netherlands are historically very liberal.

The last time I checked the UK are pretty high, but the last decade has been a fucking whiplash.

Apparently we peaked in 2019 with 85% and that's down to 78% last year.

It would be interesting to see the other non-EU countries.

Iceland I could see topping the list, Norway slightly less than Sweden. Switzerland about the same as Germany, maybe slightly less.

Bosnia and Serbia would be lucky to get above 15%. Albania even less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom