Discogs

Anyone here on Discogs? I had joined years ago and forgot all about it but now I'm totally addicted to it. Not only to see how the value of my collection items can fluctuate etc. but also because it's actually a pretty cool community. I've done some buying through it as well.

What's everyone's collections valued at ? :disco:

Last edited:
I just use it to search out RARE NUGGETS to try and download on SOULSEEK but DON'T TELL ANYONE THAT

Up until recently it was mainly a reference tool for me, but I have been buying much more on there lately. I haven't really bothered adding stuff to my collection on there mind...

Up until recently it was mainly a reference tool for me, but I have been buying much more on there lately. I haven't really bothered adding stuff to my collection on there mind...
Yeah it's a lot of work! I've added my most valuable stuff (most of which is vinyl and box sets), but it's too much work to add all my CDs as well- most of which are not worth much anyway. Still, it would be nice to upload it all... maybe if I spend 10-15 minutes a day uploading them in batches or something..

Yes use it loads for my pop activism for reference but also to beg people to send me WAV files as the record label have lost them...

I love Discogs and use it all the time- for selling, for buying and for the collection- fed up of buying the same thing in a charity shop for about the NINTH TIME.

As for collection value, mine is:

Collection Value:*
Min £15,319.94 Med £25,642.98 Max £47,211.40

I'd say my stuff was in fairly good condition, so I'm going with the "Med".

Yeah it's a lot of work! I've added my most valuable stuff (most of which is vinyl and box sets), but it's too much work to add all my CDs as well- most of which are not worth much anyway. Still, it would be nice to upload it all... maybe if I spend 10-15 minutes a day uploading them in batches or something..

It took me over a year, but I loved doing it- I also found some things that I didn't know were rare that I could flog (the Moloko cd for £50 was straight out the door the second I found out). I really also enjoyed remembering things in my collection I'd long forgot, to play things I haven't done in years and I also took the opportunity to use it to replace any broken CD cases.

I'm now having similar OCD FUN by going through my vinyl to clean each disc in my Spin Clean one by one.

I used it a lot last year for buying Mr L lots of foreign vinyl, but I don't used it to catalogue the collection.

Some sellers are cunts, aren't they?

I love Discogs and use it all the time- for selling, for buying and for the collection- fed up of buying the same thing in a charity shop for about the NINTH TIME.

As for collection value, mine is:

Min £15,319.94 Med £25,642.98 Max £47,211.40

I'd say my stuff was in fairly good condition, so I'm going with the "Med".
Have you got it separately insured?

I used it a lot last year for buying Mr L lots of foreign vinyl, but I don't used it to catalogue the collection.

I've never come across a bad seller, but then I only go for ones who have very high ratings...

Some buyers, however...

I've never come across a bad seller, but then I only go for ones who have very high ratings...

Some buyers, however...

I had two just before Christmas who both fucked up orders (sending incorrect items in both cases), both failed to reply to messages and then only did respond when I raised a complaint. And one then had the cheek to ask me to remove the negative feedback I had left.

Mind you, I had a similar issue with an Amazon private seller, so it can happen anywhere.

It took me over a year, but I loved doing it- I also found some things that I didn't know were rare that I could flog (the Moloko cd for £50 was straight out the door the second I found out). I really also enjoyed remembering things in my collection I'd long forgot, to play things I haven't done in years and I also took the opportunity to use it to replace any broken CD cases.

I'm now having similar OCD FUN by going through my vinyl to clean each disc in my Spin Clean one by one.
FABULOUS!

I think it will take me a few months to put all of mine up but I'm already discovering some hidden delights that are more valuable than I thought they would be and not just vinyl or box sets.

HOW did it take me THIS LONG to do this? :disco:

I have very limited buying experience but touch wood, so far it's been alright.

Haven't sold anything (yet).

i really wish the website would MODERNISE a bit, it’s permanently stuck in 2006 :D

I also wish it would force sellers to streamline postage costs, it’s so annoying to find something you want then have to message them to find out shipping then finally buy it 3 days later.

Aside from that it’s obviously lots of fun for a music nerd :disco:

Some food for thought. If anything happened to my collection I think I would give up listening to music, or at least stop buying.

Nearly everything I have is on CD so not worth so much but I think I might start adding a few select items out of interest.

I had no idea about any re-selling market, but I use it to find out who wrote and produced what, aliases, etc. I love getting a better picture about what the original ghost vocalist of Corona got up to, etc.

I should have bought up more of the end-of-the-line bargains off that DEMON RECORDS website

That BANANARAMA singles boxset goes for £200 now and that fabulous PHILLY BOXSET that was such a SNIP goes for £70. I sent those to EVERYONE I KNOW :disco:

I use it a lot to find the right version (usually hard to find radio edits) of a certain single. I check the length and then I try to find it on soulseek or anywhere else.

OK GANG

Suedey discog update: I'm just over a third of the way through (it takes a long time because I want to do it properly with bar codes and correct country editions etc.). But my slight OCD tendency means I'm doing a fair bit every evening.

Min £5,312.37 Med £8,282.99 Max £13,897.56

Quite surprised by some of the more expensive stuff...

Let's see what we end with :disco:

THAT REMINDS ME, I came across QUITE A FEW ABBA LPs at Oxfam yesterday but decided to pass on them. They were all £1.99 a piece. Stuff like The Album, Greatest Hits and GHV2. What do you reckon? I'm no ABBA collector by any stretch of the imagination but I thought these would be particularly invaluable as I'm sure the original LPs were pressed in huge quantities back in the day. ...

Last edited:
If they are good condition £2 is a pretty good price. I'd say they usually go more for £4-£5. The recent vinyl issues often pop up in sales for a tenner.

I did mine and my fledgling vinyl collection was only about £500, but it fills barely a third of a book shelf.

Mind you almost half of that value was two Kylie albums :disco:

New vinyls don't seem to lose much value I notice.

If they are good condition £2 is a pretty good price. I'd say they usually go more for £4-£5. The recent vinyl issues often pop up in sales for a tenner.
DAMN IT! I KNEW I should have picked them up. The Album is a beautiful gatefold as well :(

I did mine and my fledgling vinyl collection was only about £500, but it fills barely a third of a book shelf.

Mind you almost half of that value was two Kylie albums :disco:

New vinyls don't seem to lose much value I notice.
Yeah the bulk of the valuable stuff in my collection is vinyl. The only valuable CDs are deluxe editions/reissues, box sets etc. (And, bizarrely, Madonna's 'yellow series' CD single reissue series...)

OK GANG

Suedey discog update: I'm just over a third of the way through (it takes a long time because I want to do it properly with bar codes and correct country editions etc.). But my slight OCD tendency means I'm doing a fair bit every evening.

I know what you mean. The quite pointless amount of time I have spent trying to differentiate between two or more seemingly identical versions that are ten a penny anyway.

I've done my vinyl, newish stuff and boxsets and I'm up to D on the shelving, and there are the CDs stashed away in wallets too.

I know what you mean. The quite pointless amount of time I have spent trying to differentiate between two or more seemingly identical versions that are ten a penny anyway.

I've done my vinyl, newish stuff and boxsets and I'm up to D on the shelving, and there are the CDs stashed away in wallets too.

May be obvious but you all have found the “Find Your Version” tab, right? Cause I didn’t for ages and it solved a LOT of problems!

May be obvious but you all have found the “Find Your Version” tab, right? Cause I didn’t for ages and it solved a LOT of problems!

Thanks, yes it took me a while as well but it does help sometimes.

I've been trying to use it to value an LP my mum has, only I have a feeling hers is worth more than any they have listed. I don't even know where to start to sell it as if I leave it to her she'll definitely get ripped off.

It's this numbered promo mis-print original of The Beatles' The White Album with all the posters still in great condition: https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-The-Beatles/release/456663

I can't remember what number my mum has, but it's a lot lower than all of the ones they're mentioning. She does want to sell it as it will pay off the cost of her eye surgery!

Essentially @Ellie, the lower your White Album number the better. Discogs, eBay, auction houses...all full of rip-off merchants. But the good thing about Discogs is that you set your price and people can choose whether or not to pay it. The thing to beware of is grading the record because Discogs users are fussy bastards and will be all like "eh, you said this was VG+ and I would say it's more of a VG, I want all my money back whilst getting to keep the record" and all that kind of shit.

The plus side with a White Album is that they can't pretend they never got it and then sell it on because of the numbering.

Agreed with Octy there. I only use 'mint' if it is literally still factory sealed, and 'near mint' if it was never played (and I've kept it in plastic wrapping/protection). They do state that mint and near mint should be used very sparingly.

I imagine there will be a Beatles loon that would be happy to part with a fair bit of money for it - provided it's good quality!

I would suggest she sells sooner rather than later. Surely the Beatles super loon contingent is contracting rapidly?

As someone who has only bought from discogs, some sellers deserve nothing more.

It's only one issue with grading I've had with discogs. Two others were sellers not sending goods despite repeated messages, and only responding when I raised issues with discogs. And then asking me to withdraw negative feedback. Yeah, fuck off.

My top Discogs tips are always trust Germans and NEVER trust Italians :side-eye:

Something once turned up in a pizza box. Not a USED pizza box obviously, although then again it might have been. Maybe they just gave it a quick wipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom