Beverley Knight - Last One On My Mind

I do like No Man's Land, but the whole premise of that album was Bev goes to Nashville and they lead with the one song that wasn't recorded there. It is preferable to the rather dull After You though.

Her album performances to date - will be interesting to see how this one measures up

-- B-Funk
56 Prodigal Sista
07 Who I Am
11 Affirmation
09 The Voice - The Best Of
08 Music City Soul
17 100%
13 Soul UK
09 Soulsville
71 BK25

It is album of the week on Radio 2 for what that is worth.

Bev Top 10:

1. Get Up - the first time I heard of her and by all rights should have been a huge hit
2. The Queen of Starting Over - should have been the lead single
3. Straight Jacket - Affirmation is an album I listened to a lot and this was my favorite dramatic moment
4. No One Ever Loves in Vain - a beautiful tribute, very touching
5. No Man’s Land - another softer moment that I appreciate
6. The Need of You - again drama Bev
7. Tuned to Stone - one of the few decent songs from 100%
8. Shoulda Woulda Coulda - it kinda ruined her musical output but it is a solid song regardless
9. Sista Sista
10. Greatest Day

Honorable mention to her cover of Angels

1. Flavour Of The Old School
2. Sista Sista
3. Every Time You See Me Smile
4. Queen Of Starting Over
5. Soul Survivor
6. Remember Me
7. Greatest Day (Classic mix)
8. Moving On Up (On The Right Side)
9. Till I See Ya
10. Affirmation

Honourable mentions:
AWOL
Rewind (Find A Way)
The Need Of You
Get Up!
Gold
Trade It Up

I do like Shoulda Woulda Coulda and Come As You Are and I loved them at the time but I just have no desire to ever hear them again.

Come As You Are is such a slapper. Supasonic would've made a great fourth single from Affirmation to keep that upbeat vibe alive.

This recall of the Affirmation era is reminding me of the Remember Me song. I don't know how many moopers know but she befriended a fan of hers back in the late 90s who ended up becoming her best friend... he died of AIDS and she was absolutely devastated. She had brought him into her family who were a traditional British Jamaican midlands family and converted them all from their ignorant beliefs into welcoming him as one of the family. She wrote this song for him. She performed it live on the Affirmation tour, crying through the whole song while ripping through fabric with her voice. This is one of the only live performances left of it. It's next level spectacular in terms of technical ability and raw power.

Could be you need some tea and SYMPATHY
Could be you need my hands ALL OVER YOUR BODY

real housewives of beverly hills dancing GIF by Beamly US

Flavour Of The Old School
Moving On Up
Sista Sista
Made It Back
Rewind
AWOL
Same (As I Ever Was)
Affirmation
Square Peg
In Your Shoes

Next in:

Systematic Overload
No Man’s Land
Break Out
Greatest Day
Gold

I'm a huge fan, I have seen her live at the Hammersmith Apollo years ago I think around the Affirmation time and was blown away; probably the best live vocalist i've seen, you can't really tell how good her voice is from record, or even on the TV.

I remember she lost momentum by 100% but I really thought some of those singles underperformed. I think Beautiful Night is well, beautiful.

She gives a really good career perspective on Kate Thornton's podcast this week for BEV FANS. Its an hour long interview

I really want to see her at the Royal Albert Hall next year, I love that venue and would love to see her again, i'll see who I can rope along :disco:

I really want to go and see her at RAH too, although I have seen her there before.

Yes but Manchester and Liverpool is even closer and she's playing them in November I think (sold out).

Albert Hall is just a great venue though.

Beverley's voice was made for the material on Affirmation. both of those songs you mentioned are stunning vocal performances :D

They're both beautiful. But I'm just not sure "beautiful" is Bev's USP. Her USP is being able to belt and out-sang even the more established divas - but she rarely had the material to showcase that.

OMG it's an 80s FUNK album :disco::disco::disco: Just listening now, I love this for her, she's never really tackled this genre before, I'm sure there's been the odd song but I can't think of anything right now

Queen Of Everything is SO AMAZING. @Sheena listen to this song immediately. Not Prepared For You is going to sound great over the Christmas period.

One listen in and it's already her best album since Affirmation...

#10 in the mids, so probably likely to end around the 20-30 region... not great

OMG it's an 80s FUNK album :disco::disco::disco:
is it though? :D there are few funkish flourishes across different tracks but the production is largely quite pop (and ANODYNE)

Oh that's slightly disappointing. I thought she had a genuine chance of top ten in the final chart.

The chart’s gone a bit weird lately, I feel like catalogue sales are soaring and it’s preventing new albums from performing. Not really effecting the big albums but I’ve noticed a lot of underperforming chart entries from some of my more niche favourites and a lot of recent ones that I would expect a minor hit for haven’t even charted in the Top 100. It’s like every week is Christmas week now.

Yeah I think they will be a bit disappointed with that, if she can stay top 20 that may save a little bit of face

OMG it's an 80s FUNK album :disco::disco::disco: Just listening now, I love this for her, she's never really tackled this genre before, I'm sure there's been the odd song but I can't think of anything right now

Queen Of Everything is SO AMAZING. @Sheena listen to this song immediately.

Babe, it’s a RuPaul bside.

I don't think catalogue albums are soaring, so much as new albums simply aren't selling, so relatively those catalogue albums are doing well.

Things are only going to get worse, unless the OCC change the streaming ratio, which is obviously a nonsense and would only be a temporary plaster, or do like we've said before many times, and create a catalogue/heritage/whateveryouwanttocallit chart for albums older than a certain period. I just don't understand who it serves to have new albums denied chart decent chart placements and being perceived as flops.

Had hoped this would fare better for her. She did an in store signing today so maybe that will keep her stable if it was a show up and buy something on the day thing.

Someone Else's Problem is my pick of the album tracks. It definitely nods to Haven't You Heard.

#9 on sales but she’ll be disappointed with that end result for sure. Mind you her shows always sell out which is one positive for her.

If there was any sign that this country is FUCKED it's Saint Bev missing top 30 only weeks after bloody Roisin Murphy smashing

The charts have gone TORY

from #10 to #39 is ridiculous. At least its top 40 but still, they will be very very disappointed. This was billed as her return to the mainstream as well.

I predict she concentrates on the stage after this.

why the dramatics? she doesn't want to PEAK TOO SOON!

The fact that there’s probably about a 20
Place chart difference between a few hundred physical sales means that it’s not really worth getting worked up about. It’s not about removing streaming stats, it’s about removing catalogue albums. She’d have been an easy top ten in any other era. So it is what it is.

The fact that there’s probably about a 20
Place chart difference between a few hundred physical sales means that it’s not really worth getting worked up about. It’s not about removing streaming stats, it’s about removing catalogue albums. She’d have been an easy top ten in any other era. So it is what it is.
Like I posted in the Mae Muller thread, half the albums above her have had over two years on the chart. And sure enough half the ones between Mae and Beverley are the same. Who does it serve that new albums are being perceived to flop or underachieve? It's of no importance really what number Abba Gold or Rumours etc is any more, but it can affect newer albums and particularly, newer acts.

And the OCC, like the rest of the industry, is supposed to support new or current artists. The albums chart is anything but.

The charts were built as another form of promo for labels. Why does Fleetwood Mac or Elton John need promo from the charts? What more records and milestones could they possibly need?

That performance has seen her SHOOTING up the iTunes chart :) It's a bit of an outlier from the rest of the album, but I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom