A Selena Gomez Reappraisal Thread

It's probably to some degree an age thing, but I struggle to think of a mainstream pop star whose work has so completely passed me by as Selena Gomez.
I was looking at her discography after this thread got bumped last night. For someone SO famous (wasn't she the most followed IN THE WORLD on social media at one point?!) she actually hasn't had THAT MUCH in the way of true hitz. All the ones I know and like seem to have actually been relative flops as well.

#streamBadLiar

I was looking at her discography after this thread got bumped last night. For someone SO famous (wasn't she the most followed IN THE WORLD on social media at one point?!) she actually hasn't had THAT MUCH in the way of true hitz. All the ones I know and like seem to have actually been relative flops as well.

#streamBadLiar
She’s actually had a large number of chart hits here, just lacking the impact of Ariana’s I suppose.

Selena Gomez is tone deaf, has no performance ability, and seems to complain a lot about stage fright and anxiety, so I'm not really sure why she's so committed to being a popstar.

The same could be applied to ZAYN; Selena is miles more active than him, not to mention more successful. She hardly sings live and she is a good (studio) singer but the vocal downfall is noticeable if you compare back to when she was on The Scene she actually SANG, not this fast-talking, mumblecore nonsense. Hands To Myself and Kill Them With Kindness still go hard though.

I Was genuinely shocked earlier this year about her Emmy nomination for Only Murders In The Building, god Bless her but she's by far the worst thing in there; is she even acting?? I cringe every time I read a tweet praising her on the show or maybe I'm missing the character's point and she's supposed to be a dead eye introvert.

BODY HEAT still SLAPS.

BURNING UP BURNING UP
SO GIVE IT UP GIVE IT UP
girl-falling-over-platform-shoes-high-heels-on-fire-13918061230.gif

It Ain’t Me remains phenomenal, but I guess that’s Kygo more than her.

Back To You is rather good, too.

I did like this one from back when she was just another Disney girl.

At what point after this did she decide that pop stardom was a 'singing optional' kind of profession?

I actually chose to listen to Rare (Deluxe) last week and it was enjoyable as ever. “The Sweetest Place” is a quiet triumph. As is “Vulnerable” obviously.

Also : how come no one ever goes 'eewww Chris Martin' cradle snatcher given his real life GF's age and this video with S-Go.

I'll tell you why no one does: SEXISM.

I liked this at the time- it was heavily used in one of my exercise classes (and not it wasn't Zumba you fuckers! :angry )
Hasn't aged v well tho has it? Generic..... a

I'm sorry for INFESTING this thread with undeniable BOPS

She can give Miley (Out of all Disney girls) a run for her money as far as career highs go :disco:

so to summarise, the moopy reappraisal is... that she's shit? as if this was once a Selena Gomez stan community? :D

Last edited:
I love me a bit of Selena, and every song in this playlist is good or great.

Revival really was a fantastic pop era. excellent singles run and the title track is really fantastique :disco:

I did like this one from back when she was just another Disney girl.

At what point after this did she decide that pop stardom was a 'singing optional' kind of profession?

Probably when it she did it and it worked for her and she remained just as famous/successful

1. Love You Like A Love Song
2. Naturally
3. A Year Without Rain
4. Middle of Nowhere
5. Back To You
6. Slow Down
7. Come and Get It
8. Good For You
9. The Heart Wants What It Wants
10. Hand To Myself

I haven't heard Naturally for about 12 years and it still slaps! Really puts me in mind of putting Windows Media Maker on shuffle in the background and loading up the Sims for another day of light killing :disco:

I had NO idea it was her! I thought it was just some nameless over-processed singer

(:eyes:)

She's had some banging singles (Naturally, A Year Without Rain, Love You Like A Love Song, Pitchfork-fave and indie moment Bad Liar) but struggles to ever build any sort of campaign past the initial couple of singles.

THAT IS aside from Revival which remained a fantastic pop campaign, albeit much bigger in the USA than UK.
The singles run of:

Good For You
Same Old Love
Hands To Myself
and tropical pop-bop KILL EM WITH KINDNESS was just a spectacular run.

Groper-anthem Hands To Myself in particular has some unintentionally hilarious lyrics:

Can't keep my hands to myself
I want it all, no, nothing else
Give me your all and nothing else
Oh, I, I want it all
I want it all
I want it all, ooh

I mean, I could but why would I want to? :basil:

I care little for her as a popstar, and it's totally down to the songwriters. But somehow she managed to get lightening to strike on this album as far as the singles go (I've never bothered to listen to the album lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom