Toto Cutugno DEAD

But surely one of the worst winners AND THE worst presenter in Eurovision history.

Samantha 💋 Ja-NUUUS

1991 was a hopelessly staged contest, but it was Italy after all.

Reactions: GNL
1991 was a hopelessly staged contest, but it was Italy after all.
What do you mean, who didn't love the BLACK SUN OF DEATH at Turin?

1692726487480.png

What do you mean, who didn't love the BLACK SUN OF DEATH at Turin?

View attachment 20159
I love that 31 years later they had learned…nothing.

Everybody watch the 1991 voting back now - it’s like they are conducting a raffle :D

Who? Where? HOW MANY POINTS?

Looking at the list quickly, I prefer it to 8 winners since, including all the Irish ones with the exception of Niamh.

So bottom quarter, but certainly not BAD.

I very definitely included Running Scared as a clunker beneath Insieme. Most of the others I can at least understand why someone may want to vote for them.

I very definitely included Running Scared as a clunker beneath Insieme. Most of the others I can at least understand why someone may want to vote for them.
Totally. I do think Insieme has a certain charm and it is quite rousing.

And of course, we know why ‘Running Scared’ won and TOTALLY forgotten now

Are you all serious? There are also all the Irish winners, Lordi, the Olsen Brothers and many more that wouldn’t come close.

In fact I think only these are better (that came after 1990):

Diva
Take Me to Your Heaven
Euphoria
Rise Like a Phoenix
Tattoo

Are you all serious? There are also all the Irish winners, Lordi, the Olsen Brothers and many more that wouldn’t come close.

Diva
Take Me to Your Heaven
Euphoria
Rise Like a Phoenix
Tattoo
It's close for a lot of them for me. Those 8 were only those who I think are clearly worse.

I need a favourites sorter to do it scientifically :D

Diva
Take Me to Your Heaven
Euphoria
Rise Like a Phoenix
Tattoo

I like it!

I would add ‘In Your Eyes’ and ‘Love Shine a Light’ to your list though.

I like Fly On the Wings of Love. But Insieme, Believe and Everybody have absolutely nothing going for them. Most of the Irish winners were rot (The Voice being the exception). I don't think much of Stormvind either.

90s winners were the worst since the 1960s. Both decades about 50% shit. Although the 60s cheated.

A lot of the 00’s songs have aged horribly, and I don’t think I’d ever want to hear songs like Every Way That I Can or Fairytale again.

I'm excluding the 50s and 60s because I'd need to relisten to them all to do them justice, but if we're ranking favourite decades by winners, I'd go for this

70s
10s
80s
00s
90s

I'd probably slot the 20s so far in 4th.

90s

Diva
Love Shine a Light
Take Me To Your Heaven
Nocturne
Fångad av en stormvind
The Voice
In Your Eyes
Rock N Roll Kids
Insieme
Why Me?

00s

My Number One
Every Way That I Can
Fly On The Wings of Love
Hard Rock Hallelujah
Molitva
Wild Dances
Fairytale
Everybody
Believe
I Wonna

My 90s Ranking:

1. Dana International - Diva 1998
2. Katrina + Waves - Love Shine a Light 1997
3. Eimear Quinn - The Voice 1996
4. Secret Garden - Nocturne 1995
5. Carol -Captured by a Bible 1991 (Sorry Amina Mix)
6. Charlotte Nilsson Perrelli featuring Sahlene- Take Me To Your Heaven 1999
7. Toto - Insieme 1990
8. Niamh Kavanagh - In Your Eyes 1993
9. Linda Martin - Why Me? 1992 (Billy McGuiness Is An Odious Little Man Mix)
10. Those 2 guys and not Edyta Gorniak or Mekado :( 1994 - Rock n Roll Kids

The Guardian got around to publishing an obituary, but it isn't terribly flattering...

But his greatest success was 1983’s L’Italiano, a song the newspaper Corriere Della Sera described as the “Christian Democrats of canzone”, selling millions of records even though no one would confess to listening to it.

Originally penned for the more charismatic singer Adriano Celentano, who turned it down, and better known under its chorus Lasciatemi Cantare, the song left no cliche of Italian culture untouched. “Let me sing, I’m an Italian”, it announced itself, namedropping spaghetti al dente, shaving cream with mint flavour, caffè ristretto and a “broken-down Fiat 600”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom