The Fall of the House of Usher

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him

The latest Mike Flanagan series (also his last on Netflix) based on a mish mash of Edgar Allan Poe stories.

The only one I didn’t care for was Midnight Club. Bly Manor had some moments.

Eh this was a big ol’ nothing. It’s much closer to a Ryan Murphy show than the creepiness of Hill House or the horror of Midnight Mass.

The monologues (there are so many) are very basic bitch and the wigs are awful.

too many kids and you don’t really care for any of them. They could have cut at least 3 and then build characters that we actually care about instead of 1 kill an episode.

Yeah, it's too 'Hollywood' to be legitimately scary or even interesting. Too many cliches and verging on campy mess. It's good for killing time though. that's about it.

Last edited:
It’s a mess and hammy AF. Agree that it feels more like a Murphy show.

I really like this show, although it's starting to lose momentum towards the end and I wish some of the characters had stayed around for a bit longer. Still have the last episode to watch.
It's equally camp and gory and it's pretty well acted (except for the granddaughter), kind of what AHS used to be in the beginning, what's not to love?

This was such a waste of great source material. The writing was just terrible. For something like this to work you need to really LOATHE the characters, or pity them, or ideally some combination of both. But they were all just BLAND and inconsistently written. It didn't help that nobody seemed to actually react that their siblings/children were DYING HORRIBLY on a daily basis. I get that there was an element of that reflecting their narcissism, but again they didn't really go in enough on that.

Even the gore was nothing to write home about. Aside from the first sibling and his acid bath, the death scenes mostly pulled their punches.

Mary McDonnell could have been fabulous, she certainly has the chops despite her distracting face work and succession of Moira Rose wigs. But aside from her final scene she was just sort of floating around on the sideline the whole time. The actress who played the younger version got all the meaty stuff, and even that wasn't terribly interesting.

Finally, what kind of a name is VICTORINE?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom